Topic: Need Help with Acoustic Chord Progression/ music for Song About PTSD

Hello all.  I am new here and new to the Music world.  I was a Marine for 9 years and was injured.  I have been out for 10 years.  I heard Aaron Lewis from Staind Play "Please" acoustic in concert and it almost brought tears to my eyes.  It was like he wrote the song for just how I was feeling.  I started taking guitar lessons a year ago and it has been awsome therapy.  What a way to let your emotions out.  I have come along way on the guitar but singing well lets just say I am not going to try out for american Idol.  Never planned to but boy this is fun.  I Have been working on a song for awhile but having trouble finding a good chord progression.  Wondering if anyone would be willing to help who has much more talent than me.  Thanks in advance.  I hope you can understand it.  Thanks.

Let You See

It feels just like yesterday

I heard the rotors on their way

And the dreams play in my head

As I lie awake in bed

Felt concussion from the rounds

The confusion from the sounds

In that battle so much died

Something innocent inside

I still see the ones we lost

Freedom comes at such a cost

I pray to God he can forgive

Forgive me for what I did

Chorus

I see these visions in my mind

They are with me all the time

And The dreams play in my head

As I lay awake in bed

Push the fear deep down inside

Cause This pain I have to hide

I can never let you see, 

This broken part of me

Now the years go by so fast

And I’m dealing with my past

I wake up and push on through

Try to be normal just like you

If for a moment you could feel

To have a heart that just won’t heal

Maybe you would understand

Accept me for who I am

Chorus

I see these visions in my mind

They are with me all the time

And the dreams play in my head

As I lay awake in bed

I Push the fear deep down inside

Cause This pain I have to hide

I can never let you see,

This broken part of me

Re: Need Help with Acoustic Chord Progression/ music for Song About PTSD

welcome here Buchanich1,I could not find it for you but maybe one of the other members will be able too help you. Glad too see you are getting into music and thank you for your service. Music and playing make us all feel better.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Great lyrics, Buchanich! I found it really easy to play to. I used a simple G C D progression, and then started in C for the chorus. For example, first verse line in G, second line in C, making the chord change on "heard," third line in D starting on "dreams," fourth line, switch to C on "lie" and to G on "bed."

Forgot to indicate the chorus . . .
Start in C for the first line, switch to G for second, back to C for the third, and up to D on "lay" in the fourth line.
Then, back to C on fifth line starting on "fear," then to G on "pain" of sixth line, back to C on "never" of seventh line.
In eighth line, go to D on "broken" (which stretch to two long syllables) and then to C on "part" and back to G on "me."

Thank you.  This is exactly what I was looking for.  It sounds great with the D,C,G on the last part of the chorus.  Thanks for your help.