Topic: bought a new car

i was offered a fab deal on a new car and as i got the same deal for my son and daughter first i thought why not? then i thought about my old car which i bought new in 2009, it's got all the toys (keyless entry and start up. automatic lights and wipers. lots of room for my gear etc) and though i've got most of that on the new car, i almost burst into tears after the deal was done and i saw my old car fade into the distance in my rear view mirror.

it's the same feeling i had when i had to buy new speakers cos my old ones packed up. i needed them ASAP so i didn't have time to get them repaired, so they sit in my junk room gathering dust. i'm feeling very melancholy. someone help me feel better please.....

i have a far away gig tomorrow night so the new car will have a good inaugural initiation. they tell me it does around 50-60 miles to the gallon so that softens the blow.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: bought a new car

Don't keep us in suspense what make and model lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Prius or chevy volt?

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Happy NCD!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

happy ncd also ,I do the same thing when I sell my cars it's like seeing an old friend go away. consider this it will make you feel better read topdowns post on his new Martin guitar. It never showed up at his home after it was supposed too have been delivered. That should make you feel better that at least you have your purchase.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

always sad to see your old car go i don`t know we become so attached to them ! Nice if you`ve got the replacement waiting and ready to go though , i`m sure after your journey tomorrow the old car will start to become a fond , distant , memory !!

By the time I let old cars go, I'm glad to get rid of them.  I drive them until they are more expensive to keep than to replace.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

By the time I let old cars go, I'm glad to get rid of them.  I drive them until they are more expensive to keep than to replace.

I'm with Zurf on this one.  I prefer to buy one with 25K-35K miles on it and drive it until I get about 200K.  One of the reasons is I spend a lot of time on back roads driving to river access areas during raft and kayak trips.  I've never been a gear head although there a few cars from the 50's and earlier I'd like to take for a spin.

If I get a car that is too comfortable and quiet I feel like I'm just sitting on the sofa and watching TV rather than driving.  I like a little road noise and gear shifting which drives my wife crazy.  That's why I she usually drives a new one while I tool around in the old road warriors.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

My newest car is an 03.( Chevy Silverado ) I hate making car payments. For a car payment I can buy a new Strat or Tele every 2 months. I also keep patching my 1998 Explorer to death. Winter is coming and when it snows, it is the greatest car in the world.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

jjj, I still have my 99 Ford Taurus it is in good shape and paid for. I only have 51,000 miles on it. I got it from an older lady and she got it from I B M exututive car lease sale.I do not drive much as my last 15 years of work I drove 200K or more per year.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

jjj, I still have my 99 Ford Taurus it is in good shape and paid for. I only have 51,000 miles on it. I got it from an older lady and she got it from I B M exututive car lease sale.I do not drive much as my last 15 years of work I drove 200K or more per year.

Winters are not kind to cars here. My pickup has almost 160k on it. My explorer has 130k and it looks like it has 500k on it. All rotted and dented from 4 hit and runs. But it is 4 wheel drive. My wifes 02 Impala has less than 80k on it. Her car gets the least amount of use. The only brand new car I ever had was back in 1981. A Vette. (CHEVETTE ). I was 21, still living at home and my biggest worry was what kind of strings to buy.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I just traded in my 94 Accord for a 2014 Chevy silverado with the Vortec engine to pull my 5th wheel trailer.  It loves gas, but, oh well.....

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

bensonp wrote:

I just traded in my 94 Accord for a 2014 Chevy silverado with the Vortec engine to pull my 5th wheel trailer.  It loves gas, but, oh well.....

Mine is a V6. Slow and loves gas. It has no options at all. It is the one you get for the advertised price. No carpet at all. Just a rubber mat and roll up windows.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

5th wheel trailer.  Oh heck yeah.  Nice rig, man.  What did you get?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My wife and I have been driving VW diesels for the past 35 years, which has only been to 5 cars in total due to their longevity. The earlier generations lacked power, but they've all given far better fuel mileage than gasoline engines. We smile when car companies advertise their vehicles as being "fuel efficient" when rated above 40 MPG, because a VW diesel engine gets close to 60 MPG. In addition, three of ours went well over 400,000 kms (250,000 miles) with no major surgery, and two of them went over 500,000 kms (310,000 miles). We've always been at a loss to understand why this simple, reliable, and efficient technology has never really gained more popularity.

Tenement Funster wrote:

My wife and I have been driving VW diesels for the past 35 years, which has only been to 5 cars in total due to their longevity. The earlier generations lacked power, but they've all given far better fuel mileage than gasoline engines. We smile when car companies advertise their vehicles as being "fuel efficient" when rated above 40 MPG, because a VW diesel engine gets close to 60 MPG. In addition, three of ours went well over 400,000 kms (250,000 miles) with no major surgery, and two of them went over 500,000 kms (310,000 miles). We've always been at a loss to understand why this simple, reliable, and efficient technology has never really gained more popularity.

Aren`t they slow?? Although I drive a Dodge Van with a Mercedes Diesel engine at work. A Sprinter. I love it. Quiet, fast and drives like a dream. Beats a big Step Van anytime.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

17 (edited by beamer 2013-11-24 04:41:58)

the us just does not do affordable diesels, yep in abig old truck sure, in a mercedes(sp) sure.    although they have the bug in turbo diesel,,   YOu can not find a US made car that is Diesel, and the Jap cars only offer Diesel in every other country.  I really think its a political thing with the government.  VW remains teh only manufacture who brings a variety of  affordable cars to the US.  I just looked on this and its mind boggeling as to whay we cant get more???

http://www.practicalenvironmentalist.co … l-cars.htm

Next car will be a VW Diesel. I have 120 mile round trip comute.  I think 60 mpg sound pretty good right now.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

the us just does not do affordable diesels, yep in abig old truck sure, in a mercedes(sp) sure.    although they have the bug in turbo diesel,,   YOu can not find a US made car that is Diesel, and the Jap cars only offer Diesel in every other country.  I really think its a political thing with the government.  VW remains teh only manufacture who brings a variety of  affordable cars to the US.  I just looked on this and its mind boggeling as to whay we cant get more???

http://www.practicalenvironmentalist.co … l-cars.htm

Next car will be a VW Diesel. I have 120 mile round trip comute.  I think 60 mpg sound pretty good right now.

The Japanese government used too make you get a new engine at 30k mi,I do not know if they do that now,they also brought tham too the usa and other places and sold them ( the older engine's)

wow, i didnt expect to get such a reaction over my weepy goodbye to my renault scenic. it was only 4 years old and done just 22000 miles, but it had all the toys, lights and wipers that come on by themselves, elec windows and parking brake, all round, keyless entry and start, folding wing mirrors, the only thing i had to do was fill it up, and it did 60 miles to the gallon, (diesel). the new car has a manual hand break and i have to close the mirrors myself. it's a Dacia, which is made by Renault, so i trust it. the acceleration is brilliant for a 1500 cc engine and i got 100 mph out of it last night. oh and it looks like a 4x4, but it's just a 2x4. i'll have to give it a wash after the 2 gigs i did the weekend (got to pay for it now) then i'll take some photo's and post them. let you know when their up. glad we dont get the bad snow here.

My cars are 1998, 2001, 2003. One has over 100k and the other two are well over that, pushing 200k. I sometimes consider getting a new car but then I realize my current ones are doing the job and I do so enjoy NO CAR PAYMENTS. Like Zurf! I intend to drive them until they become too expensive to operate.

And I will probably not buy a new car again.

JJJ ... the older diesels were very slow, pathetic in fact. My first one - a 1971 Rabbit - needed a big run on just to clear a modest hill. And anyone behind it got black sooty smoke in the face while they were doing it. The TDI's (since 1993) will accelerate and keep up with (or outrun) almost any stock 4-cylinder gas engine. And the newest "clean diesels" (since 2009) have been rated as one of the greenest cars on earth for their low greenhouse gas emissions.

Beamer ... I think you're right on about gov't intervention on this. Until the North American manufacturers get a family-sized diesel done right, that trend will likely continue. It's strange that Cummins can do such a great job with the bigger ones, and can't somehow shrink that tech to a 4-cylinder.

It's all about government regulation - emissions control, and safety and regulated fuel economy drive the US automakers into a corner. My first new car was a 1984  Honda CRX - regular unleaded fuel - not diesel and it got 63 MPG highway. That car / engine como didn't last long as beefed up safety standards required a heavier vehicle which required a larger engine.

Get the government out of business and supply / demand will get you whatever you want.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

"New car"? What is this thing called "new car"?? Yes, I'm jealous. But my 15yr old Citroen will run on veg oil, and it smells delicious...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

you chaps across the pond must have got it easy? we have this dreaded nightmare called the "MOT" which is a test that can either allow you to drive your car or send it to the scrap heap. once a car attains the grand old age of 3 years, it has to endure this test and any little thing can cost hundreds of £'s. emissions are a big part of it and you wont get away with smoke belching out the tail pipe! tyres must have at least 2.5 mm of tread, damage to the body work can also get you the red card. i try to avoid the stress of the MOT by buying new then changing again when they reach 3 years though i kept this last one for 4 years, but there were too many electronics on it, and they are too costly to change. nothing gets repaired any more it's all "whip out the old one and stick in the new one... £200 please." what really put the frighteners on me was when i was told if the electric hand break conks out (and it might) the cost would be £1500!!!! i'd have to do a lot of gigs to make that back, without a car....

25 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-11-29 11:08:56)

Phill ... absolutely LOVE your "mark of a good driver" slogan ... too funny, yet too true!

I hear your pain about your MOT system. We have something similar in Canada called "MVI" (Motor Vehicle Inspection). It's an annual / biannual inspection (depending on province) that covers the things you mention, so that the vehicle is both safe to drive and not harmful to the environment. As a car gets older, normal wear & tear increases the cost of keeping the vehicle, and some brands age better than others. No one really likes these costs, but the alternative would have larger costs in the overall scheme of things.