Topic: Music stands

How  many  of  you  out  there  find   you  have  to  take  a  music  stand  and  prompts    to  your  live  performances .
In recent  years (as  I  have  aged ) I  find  I cant  remember   lyrics  and  chords  as  I  could  years  ago and  so  I'm becoming  more  reliant on  the  stand and  find  my  self  making  excuses  for  it  being  on  stage .
Here  in Greece  it  doesn't   seem  to  hold  any  stigma however  In the  UK   I  feel  it  attracts  comments  or  am  I just feeling  bad  about  my  own short comings ?

Re: Music stands

I can't remember half the words to half the songs I write.  I have a music stand.  We have two music books. The white one, which contains our set lists.  And the blue one, that contains all the songs we don't quite know by heart, but still play.  The goal is to get the blue book down to nothing, but we keep getting older.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I have always needed a stand and books. In 30 years, I can only remember about 10 songs in my head.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

YoYo Ma uses a music stand. If the world's most versatile and readily recognized cellist is allowed to use a music stand, I don't see the problem with a middle aged desk jockey hobbyist doing so. (meaning myself). YoYo Ma doesn't even sing.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I do three different gigs when I play out. So with so much material I need to have music and a stand. Although a great number of those  songs I can do without music. At one time had a little over 5 hours of material I could do off the top of my head. As I get older it does become more of a problem. I see more and more people using music at gigs. I totally understand and I think most people are cool with it. I think Zurf's analogy is right on.

Joe

Zurf wrote:

YoYo Ma uses a music stand. If the world's most versatile and readily recognized cellist is allowed to use a music stand, I don't see the problem with a middle aged desk jockey hobbyist doing so. (meaning myself). YoYo Ma doesn't even sing.

http://media.al.com/mcolurso/photo/rushad-eggleston-052810jpg-62f99f70400a60da_medium.jpg

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Only play for myself and can't remember a song I played 5 min ago. When in school and played in a band had no problems.

I have never been good at memorizing chords and lyrics.  And I finally figured out that nobody really cares.  It has always bothered me that I have to have the sheet in front of me, but no more.  I have had very few comments about it.  Don't let it bother you.  Like Zurf said, some of the biggest artists out there use a stand.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I couldn't get by without a music stand w/ the lyrics and chords in front of me. Apart from a few old favorites, memorizing "all of that" is intimidating. I also find that trying to sing & play at the same time (especially if the playing is complex) requires the stand to be there to aid concentration. The poor ol' brain can only do so many things at a time!

I noticed Jon Anderson of YES using a tablet on a stand during a concert ... and they've been playing a lot of that material for decades.

I use a stand all time, never could keep everything memorized. I can memorize a song but as soon as I start trying to memorize a second song, pieces of the first one start to disappear.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Well  I'm glad  its  not  just  me I  was  beginning  to  worry .I  can go  to  the  UK  now  in December and  not  worry (that  is  unless  we dont  get  any  where  to  play )

I think most bands that play a lot and have been doing the songs for a long time may not need too use one. I know if I did play in public I would have too use a stand with the music and words on it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Man since the 80's bands have had tele prompters hidden in monitor cabs LOLOL (kareokie befor it was invented)  Im a slave to my sheet music as i dont play every day.  My friends ban that plays every weekend and someweekedays if booked, has paper all over teh floor and taped to monitors for the lead singer. 
dont worry about it!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)