Topic: Guitar for my Granddaughter

I am planning to get a guitar for my 9 year old granddaughter
         Can any body recommend one
  My budget is under a £100
1/2 size?
3/4 size?
       I have looked at the REDWOOD range, are they any good?

She has had a go on my MARTIN OM1 and complained "it's too big!!"  is the fret board the same size on a 1/2 size?
                            Cheers jbtw

Re: Guitar for my Granddaughter

Welcome, John. For your granddaughter's 1st guitar I would look at one no bigger than  3/4. I would look into a quality guitar with a thin neck that would fit her hands. Also if the guitar is "steel strings" I would have it properly set up for easier play and use the lightest guage string available for the best sound. (expext sore finger tips) You may even want to explore a nylon string guitar for her. Regardless of the route you choose keep it fun for her and don't force her beyond her ability. Set up a time for practice and keep it under 30 minutes but lead her to explore things on her own. I have a 7 year old grandson so I will be going thru the same things you are in the near future. My plans are to keep things simple and fun.

Nela

3 (edited by beamer 2013-09-25 22:08:21)

the Luna guitars look nice.  and for a girl she may like the cool designs also. here are some from guitar center, I dont know if you have them on your side of the pond though.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Luna-Guitar … 1907837.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Luna-Guitar … 1531903.gc

You might also consider a smaller electric, easier on fingers and will be fun to mess with.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dean-Playma … 1452636.gc
here is a buyers review:
"My son split this 50/50 with me in December so he could learn. It has a very nice set up, easy to play for short fingers. I ran this thing thru my practice regimen and it stood up well to all of the bends and heavy strumming without losing tune. Out of the box, it was a great sounding guitar. My 9 year old absolutely loves it. For the money, it is the best guitar in this class...I checked out all of the others at GC first. I gave it 5 stars for its quality at $100."
Peavy has some strat styled guitars with marvel super heros on them, I messed with one at a store, its pretty solid also.  but for 100 bucks, Idd get the Dean!  She can play clean or get all Lzzy Hale and rock it!  small amps are a dime a dozen,(or woaht roughly 10P a dozen LOL smile ) not to mentio0n Dimebag Darryll from Panterra  always used Deans (or washburn for a short time when they bought the name, now its back in Dean Zelinsky's hands.)

hope this helps!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I forgot the model but Yamaha makes a real nice  3/4 size acoustic. They call it a 3/4 but I think it is more 1/2 size. It is a bit pricey compared to other smaller guitars

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

I forgot the model but Yamaha makes a real nice  3/4 size acoustic. They call it a 3/4 but I think it is more 1/2 size. It is a bit pricey compared to other smaller guitars

It's the FG-Junior or JR-1. I have one and I do like it. Of course it doesn't have the same sound as a full size but I think it is a very good small scale guitar. I picked mine up on Ebay for $80 I think it was.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost forgot about the Gretsch Americana Series. They are parlor guitars. They look like toys but sound good and play like a dream. They are more of a collectible so the prices are going to be a bit high. And they are great looking. I have one and I love it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

7 (edited by dino48 2013-09-26 19:38:33)

hi john you might try taking her too a guitar /music store and let her try out some of the models in your price range and see what you come up with. I have a takimine that is 3/4 and it sounds great. I also have a full size Yamaha and like the members above they do tend to make a good lower priced guitar.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Cheers guy's all taken on board!