Re: NGD and a junk at that..

dino48 wrote:

jjj,you might want too wet sand it ,that saves you alot of money on sandpaper and helps you too see areas highs and lows. Russell did it with his stratocaster. His finish came out great. judjing by the pictures you may want too get some wood filler also.

Dino. I am not even close to done with the sanding. I had to use the real rough paper with a palm sander to get the orange and green paint  off. (also put a gouge on the hood of my pickup). Then I wet sanded it with 320. Then I ran out of time. After some yard work today, I will do more and hopefully get it primered.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

How did you  put the gouge in your truck? Maybe you need too work away from it.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Started to prime. Found 2 scratches in the back I have to putty. Also what looks like a crack on the top horn. Pic on facebook. There was one spot that didn't dry after wet sanding.I will have to address that also. Supposed to rain today. If I have time I will work on the pickguard

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

dino48 wrote:

How did you  put the gouge in your truck? Maybe you need too work away from it.

Maybe?/ I used the hood as a workbench. With an electric sander. In hindsight, it wasn`t the greatest idea.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

I have done a few things like that also,I think we all have. Now use the wives kitchen or the dinner table, save the truck!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Went to do more work on the body last night. When I went into my autobody tools to get the putty, I found a tube of cream hardener that was hard. So I went to AutoZone to buy some and another can of primer. When I went to go to my truck I found 40.00 on the ground. It was a good thing I ran out of putty. Now you can say I made 28.00 getting the putty. Or I got the guitar for 10.00.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

32 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2013-08-18 14:38:05)

Painted the body today. Pics on facebook. I have 2 runs I have to contend with. It is hanging out to dry now. 6 coats on the front and the back. Thanx so much again Roger Guppy for posting the pics for me. In case anyone is wondering. The masking tape is over the date of manufacture on the body. The other 2 pieces cover the ends of the wire where the pickguard guts and the bridge make contact.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1098170_545270952205989_761744378_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1157561_545270258872725_359914070_n.jpg

Enjoy Every Sandwich

It's starting to look like something Joey.  Is it normal to put that many coats on?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

that is so sexy, specially the rear view

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

35 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2013-08-18 17:47:40)

Thnx for the compliments on the paint job. I put 6 coats on because I had enough paint to do it. I don`t know if it is normal or not. I have pics on facebook of the pickguard and the cleaned up bridge and neck mounting plate. After I fix the runs on the body and clean up the neck, It will be ready to assemble. Update: I got the runs out and put 2 more coats of paint on the body. Now it has 8 coats of paint. If I have time later I will put on the pickguard and the neck  The nut is giving me trouble. I had to file it, now I cant get it to stay properly. Any ideas?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1170952_545289822204102_1392684427_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/20496_545294715536946_825395428_n.jpg

Enjoy Every Sandwich

jjj,starting too look good,glad you found some blue money outside the store,too bad the other person lost it.

I think you're on to something Joey.  It's starting to look good.  You're pretty good.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Phill Williams wrote:

that is so sexy, specially the rear view

I liked that Phil!!

39 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2013-08-19 15:13:34)

It is all put together. Pics are on facebook. I am still having issues with the nut. I think I will just have a good setup done on it. I have to admit, I am glad its almost over with. It was fun to do but it also was a lot of work and aggravation. ( my wife complaining about the fumes). It does feel good turning it into a one of a kind guitar. Fender didn`t offer that color on that model. Or any model for that matter. It is a HONDA color. I made it to my liking.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/1000586_538505676215850_560985203_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1185018_545703602162724_1048113819_n.jpg

Enjoy Every Sandwich

I also have to give special thanks to Roger Guppy for posting all the pictures for me. He put up with me bugging him the past 2 weeks all the time. Thanx so much again Roger.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Joey

I was going to ask what type of paint you used but since you said Honda I guess auto. Are you doing any clear coats?

Jack

No problem, it is really quite easy when you have done it a few times.

It is looking very good and I like the colour but I hope you have finished it with some clear lacquer. I did not use it on mine and it soon got marked and scuffed. I have to re-paint mine real soon.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

43 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2013-08-19 15:36:34)

jackde wrote:

Joey

I was going to ask what type of paint you used but since you said Honda I guess auto. Are you doing any clear coats?

Jack

Duplicolor BHA0905 Avignon Blue Met (B26m). I didn't clear coat. I put 8 coats on. Wet sanded it (very lightly) with 800 grit sandpaper and buffed it by hand with rubbing compound. If I do it again I won`t use auto paint. I will just use good old fashion Krylon. It seems to be easier to use.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

44 (edited by beamer 2013-08-20 01:39:11)

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:
jackde wrote:

Joey

Jack

Duplicolor BHA0905 Avignon Blue Met (B26m). I didn't clear coat. I put 8 coats on. Wet sanded it (very lightly) with 800 grit sandpaper and buffed it by hand with rubbing compound. If I do it again I won`t use auto paint. I will just use good old fashion Krylon. It seems to be easier to use.

All painting  to look good is painstaking, but when you see it finished it makes you happy smile
I advise to stick with Duplicolor and if  anything you should use a matte clear on it if you dont want glossy. However I think a few coats of gloss will really make it POP. It will bring out the flake or peral in the paint.  Duplicolor is a tough paint. Made by Sherwin Williams Auto division.  I paint everything with that paint! Also if you want super smooth wet sand it with 1500 and then 2000 then 3000 grits then some rubbing compound.  Even without  c/c, it will be even more beautifull! You have plenty of coats on there so what you loose will not even be noticeable.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I just left it at Union Music for a setup. Once its setup, I wont take it apart again. It was an impulse buy. If I didn`t see it on craigslist, I would never have started such a project. I also used up my tattoo money for this. So I haven't decided what I will do with it  once it is done.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

You cant play a tattoo jjj,you did the right thing buying the Fender.

Update--- I have the guitar back. Had it back for about a month. Still haven't played it yet.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Looks super jjj you did a good job on it.

I gave the Duo Sonic to my daughter. She likes it. She likes it better than her 2001 "Fat Strat".

Enjoy Every Sandwich