Topic: My truck stinks. Literally

Does anyone know how to get a dead animal smell out of a car? A mouse or some small rodent died inside of my Chevy pickup. I tore out the kick panels, rocker panel covers and the panel in the cab behind the seat..There was a rotted maggot covered pile that smelled like you know what. I cleaned and scrubbed it the best I could. Vacumed the droppings or whatever it was and sprayed the interior with cleaner and fabreze. (DON'T BELIEVE THE COMMERCIALS). I got most of the smell out but there still is some smell left. Has anyone ever had this happen or know how to get the smell out?

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: My truck stinks. Literally

JJJ try this, its pro grade http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-s … iller.html

I will bet this works for you better than wally world or off the shelf stuff at auto zone.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Some pine-sol soaked rags and park truck in the sun keep repeting for awile.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Burn a pound of nag champa in there.  Will smell like Woodstock but that's better than the alternative.

Burn a pound of nag champa in there.  Will smell like Woodstock but that's better than the alternative.

6 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-06-25 01:15:03)

A friend who runs an auto detailing shop swears by a product called "Colloidal Silver". He uses it when someone has spilled organics into a vehicle's carpeting (milk, blood, etc.) and it permanently kills and prevents bacterial decay, which causes the smell.

As an addendum, I own a Ford Ranger 4WD (4.0L motor), and it stinks because of the amount of gas it guzzles ... whatta pig!

Tenement Funster wrote:

A friend who runs an auto detailing shop swears by a product called "Colloidal Silver". He uses it when someone has spilled organics into a vehicle's carpeting (milk, blood, etc.) and it permanently kills and prevents bacterial decay, which causes the smell.

As an addendum, I own a Ford Ranger 4WD (4.0L motor), and it stinks because of the amount of gas it guzzles ... whatta pig!

Just curious - what kind of mileage does your Ranger get?  I've had a 2-wheel drive Ranger (3.0 L) for 12 years.  It gets about 22 mpg but the engine doesn't have enough power to pull a small camper and the 2WD won't make it over hills in the winter. There's a couple low-mileage 2010 Rangers with 4.0 L and 4WD on a lot near me and I've been debating whether to trade mine in on one.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

2 things to try. The cheapest is white vinegar. Soak a rag with it and let it soak in real good where you found the maggot infested pile of goo. If that doesn't work, then urine-gone. It's meant for removing pet urine smells from carpet, but uses an enzyme to break dow n the organic compounds. I've found that it works on all sorts of organic based odors. Plus it is featured in my only song I've written.

"Better life through chemistry is my reaction
Relief comes solely from enzymatic action."

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

2 things to try. The cheapest is white vinegar. Soak a rag with it and let it soak in real good where you found the maggot infested pile of goo. If that doesn't work, then urine-gone. It's meant for removing pet urine smells from carpet, but uses an enzyme to break dow n the organic compounds. I've found that it works on all sorts of organic based odors. Plus it is featured in my only song I've written.

"Better life through chemistry is my reaction
Relief comes solely from enzymatic action."

Urine-gone.....hmmmmm......I wonder what other names they tried out before they decided to stick with that one.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Try baking soda,good for getting rid of smells,just sprinkle a bit about.

The King Of Audio Torture

11 (edited by beamer 2013-06-25 21:43:43)

The main thing is to break down the bacteria.  Vinegar works, but do you want your truck to smell like granny's water bottle?

"Yes, vinegar DOES kill many bacteria and viruses, including many very dangerous ones that can be in food such as E. Coli O157:H7. It is probably good to use in the kitchen and other places that you may be worried about harsher chemicals like bleach getting into food."
Pine sol is really crap in my book (no offense) but after using it for so long in the navy, it just really is a load of BS.  Cover smell but nothing else and this proves what I figured on all those years.
"Pine sol actually does not kill bacteria...
it doesn't even inhibit the growth of bacteria at all.
in a recent experiment conducted. i tested 3 different concentrations of pine sol and compared it to bleach
at full concentration, pine sol didn't inhibit growth at all. whereas bleach completely killed it.
at 44% dilution, pine sol still hadn't stopped bacterial growth, whereas bleach still managed to kill of bacteria.
at 12.5% concentration, pine sol, had actually allowed the colonies of bacteria to grow even closer together to mimic the "lawned" streaks. bleach had still managed to kill bacteria at 12.5%
it should be kept in mind that in a standard lab, 10% bleach is used to sterilize and kill bacteria.
i hope that answers your question, pine sol, actually doesn't inhibit the growth, nor kills it, but allows it to grow"

Collidal or the stuff I put on  will do it and smell better. lol

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

The 4WD Ranger's fuel mileage is 20 mpg at best. I've heard that a re-gearing of the transmission + installing a Fitch octane boosting system will get it up to 26-28 mpg, but that's a lot of expense ... wouldn't recommend this truck for fuel economy.

jjjafter you get rid of the smell you might watch out where you park the truck,rodents can and will get in and do it again and sometimes will get in and chew up your wiring covers for nesting material, I have seen this a couple of times in engine compartments as well as interiors. Very expensive too repair.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

My wife gave me a Yankee Candle Car Jar odor eliminator. It worked, The truck has 2 vents in the back of the cab. I have to put o screen over them. Thanx to everyone for all the suggestions. Hopefully, I won`t have to use them again.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.