Topic: sting mute

i have been playiing guitar for 2 years n i have taught myself how to play.  im havin trouble learning how to string mute.  i seen many people do it but im still havin difficulties with it.  plz help!!
appreciate it..

Re: sting mute

You can lightly rest the palm of your hand at the bridge to mute...or sometimes use your thumb or a finger to mute individual strings if you don't want them in a chord...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

or after playing a note release the pressure of the left hand fingers on the fret very slightly to damp off the ringing string

The idea of palm mute on electric guitar is part of the metal bag of tricks. The amp should be set to ultra hi-gain and the guitar turned full on. Even just blowing over the strings creates a howl. Now when you plam mute, even though on an acoustic the sound would be a vague plunk, you get a screaming solo sound but not too much. Play the same lick without plam mute and it will be a distorted mish-mash.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'