Topic: Setting a goal

I have just challenge my self to go up and play an open mike this summer at Dornans it is in moose wy under the Tetons out doors. That gives me a good 5 months to polish up a few songs. I'm playing turn the page and Summer wine right now and I'm getting pretty smooth with the cord changes. I never thought that 4.5 months in to playing I would even be thinking this way I have learned so much from you guys

Let no talents go unused

Re: Setting a goal

Good for you. It only gets better and more fun.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Good for you, go for it. Keep and eye open for the next time we have a Skype jam and come and play to us guys first to get you used to playing in front of others.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

Good for you, go for it. Keep and eye open for the next time we have a Skype jam and come and play to us guys first to get you used to playing in front of others.

Roger

That sounds real scary

Let no talents go unused

Fire art  wrote:
Roger Guppy wrote:

Roger

That sounds real scary

I have found the Skype jams to be nothing but encouraging.  Letters on a screen from handles have become characteristic thoughts from genuine friends with names.  Paul (Normtheguitar), Amy (Mekidsmom), Jeff (Topdown), Jeff (Jets60), Ken (Dirty Ed), Chris (Guitarpix) I've all met in person, shaken their hands or given them hugs, met some of their spouses and children, and some have been to my home or I to theirs.  You should definitely join in.  Dirty Ed, Jets60, KAP54 are all songwriters whose music you will only have the chance to hear from a stage or on Skype.  Frequently there's more talking than playing.  Though it's focus is music, it isn't all about music.   One thing is sure - you will never find a more appreciative and encouraging audience. 

For full disclosure, I've known Dirty Ed for years before Chordie and think of him as kind of a crazy uncle though we don't share any blood.  We do share Yeungling, which we put in our blood when together, so maybe that's it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Fire art  wrote:

That sounds real scary

......but it is far less scary to be in your own home playing in front of a computer than than standing on a stage with real live people around smile.

The reason for my suggestion is to try and make it easier for you when the event happens. I can assure that none of us Skype jammers bite .......................... we might drink a bit, but we definitely do not bite.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Absolutely less scary than playing in person at an open mic.  Give skype a try.  Another thing you can do is to record in front of a camera and throw it up on youtube... skype is easier than that.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

The Skype jam is indeed a very friendly and laid back gathering. If you just want to listen in, or just play a bit of one or two songs that's fine - it's all good!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Love it! Do it!

I know I haven't been on the Skype with you guys for quite awhile, but I can say that the group coundn't be friendlier and it is indeed a great way to start playing in front of others.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Zurf wrote:
Fire art  wrote:
Roger Guppy wrote:

Roger

That sounds real scary

I have found the Skype jams to be nothing but encouraging.  Letters on a screen from handles have become characteristic thoughts from genuine friends with names.  Paul (Normtheguitar), Amy (Mekidsmom), Jeff (Topdown), Jeff (Jets60), Ken (Dirty Ed), Chris (Guitarpix) I've all met in person, shaken their hands or given them hugs, met some of their spouses and children, and some have been to my home or I to theirs.  You should definitely join in.  Dirty Ed, Jets60, KAP54 are all songwriters whose music you will only have the chance to hear from a stage or on Skype.  Frequently there's more talking than playing.  Though it's focus is music, it isn't all about music.   One thing is sure - you will never find a more appreciative and encouraging audience. 

For full disclosure, I've known Dirty Ed for years before Chordie and think of him as kind of a crazy uncle though we don't share any blood.  We do share Yeungling, which we put in our blood when together, so maybe that's it.

Have I told you lately that you're my favorite nephew? However, you're still not mentioned in my will .  big_smile

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:
Zurf wrote:
Fire art  wrote:

That sounds real scary

Have I told you lately that you're my favorite nephew? However, you're still not mentioned in my will .  big_smile

DE

That's why I bring you beer when we camp together.  A quick story on Dirty Ed.  He keeps a tidy campsite.  At one week long event I showed up on Thursday while Dirty Ed was out on the river.  I put two cases of Yeungling lager on his campsite's table.  I was setting up my camp when I heard some rumbling from a truck with the unique rattle caused by fishing rods, paddles, and beer cans rolling around in the bed on a bumpy dirt road.  Then I heard DE's big voice say, "Big D's made it." (He calls me Big D) Whoever was with him said, "How do you know?"  Then DE says, "Because there's fresh beer at my camp."

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude