Topic: Any skype jams this weekend?

Not to be redundant? but...... LOLOLOL
Sat eveing or Sunday?

Im wanting to show off my ovation LOLOLOLOL

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: Any skype jams this weekend?

Sure - I can host if there's enough interest. Saturday works best for me. What say you chordians - who can join and what time is best?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Topdown, Im thinking 6ish texas time,,, As long as the famiy doesnt have conflicting plans with mine. If its only 2 of us its still cool or anyone else at a diff time that wants to play,   just let me know. If you see me online,, just send me a call.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

I talked to Zurf.  He said he would probably be available around 7 pm eastern (6 pm "Texas" time).  I'll join in if I can.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

5 (edited by beamer 2012-08-25 02:16:48)

Cool Ill let the wife know Im going to need the manroom!

update,, Told the wife we had this going so I should be good to go!thinking of songs now,, one may be repeated and ill try some new ones and stumble through a few,,, Oh and I gotta get the beers ready! LOLOL

I may be there just to say Hi. My hearing is still bad and it still affects playing and timing.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

WHAT?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Bump - Skype jam at 7 pm eastern. My skype name is topdown67 - look me up if interested and I'll add you

hey Beamer - It was great to have you on.  Your audio dropped right at the end.  We could see your lips moving but we couldn't hear you, so if we didn't reply politely the way you'd expect that's why.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Thanks, guys.  Great fun as usual.  It would be nice if somehow we could make this a regularly scheduled thing, but I understand that sometimes life gets in the way.  Until then we'll wing it.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Good fun.  Lots of music.  Some help.  A few requests.  It all came out good and everyone left smiling.  Possibly because they were going, but it's hard to tell.  These things are always the highlight of my month or week or whatever it's been till we do it next. 

- Zurf

Had a great time - thanks Astro, Beamer and Zurf.! We missed the rest of you, hope you can join next time!!

topdown wrote:

Had a great time - thanks Astro, Beamer and Zurf.! We missed the rest of you, hope you can join next time!!

Ditto on all the above.  Yep I dont know what happened to the audio.  But it was a great time.  Ill get the kid to sit down and get some bass going for me if we can wing it.  Its football season so Him and his older brother are gonna be pretty worked over. Sat will be all games for 4 hours most Saturdays here soon. 

Zurf: Do you think you would have any time for bass lessons to the kid? Im not home in the evenings to get skype all wired in for him, but maybe on a sunday afternoon?  its so hard to find anyone who can teach bass who is not a guitar player faking bass. (I can hit root notes all day LOLOLOL)

You guys were pretty receptive to my acoustic version of the rocker I did.  I hope it was good as I think it sounded.

hopefully it wont be too long b4 we can do it again big_smile

All I do are slow and steady riffs on blues scales.  As far as I'm concerned, the only thing you need to know about bass for rock, country, or blues, is which scale to use, where the 1, 3, and 5 notes are for each chord (or flatted third for blues) and be sure to be on the root note of the current chord on 1 and 3 for common time or on 1 for waltz time.

If you'd like for me to encourage him on that, I'd be happy to do it, but I really don't think of myself as an instructor.   Given that I haven't had a bass on a stage since my youngest was born seven years ago, I'm not even sure I count as a bass player any more. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

All I do are slow and steady riffs on blues scales.  As far as I'm concerned, the only thing you need to know about bass for rock, country, or blues, is which scale to use, where the 1, 3, and 5 notes are for each chord (or flatted third for blues) and be sure to be on the root note of the current chord on 1 and 3 for common time or on 1 for waltz time.

If you'd like for me to encourage him on that, I'd be happy to do it, but I really don't think of myself as an instructor.   Given that I haven't had a bass on a stage since my youngest was born seven years ago, I'm not even sure I count as a bass player any more. 

- Zurf

Well you got me beat! LOLOLOL espically talking about 1, 3, and 5's!  for what ever reason I just can not get my head around it! it must be so simple that it eludes me.  but yea I would love for you to encourage him and show him the correct way to play the scales.
You know how it is, funner to learn from one who is not your parent (we dont know anything , do we LOLOLOL). But I think he would be receptive and get a kick out of it.  I think he really wants to do it. he just wants to (like many starters) be great and be "slapping the bass" from the get go. big_smile

I never caught on to slapping, but I was taught how to do it.  I can show him the positions, but it will be up to him to figure it out from there.

Zurf wrote:

I never caught on to slapping, but I was taught how to do it.  I can show him the positions, but it will be up to him to figure it out from there.

I was using that as a toung in cheek expression ;-)

Maybe we can work out a time for the three of us to sit down at teh computer.