Topic: Walk up/down a chord

Can anyone point me to a good web resourse explaining (or perhaps describe here), how to walk up/down a chord?

Thanks!

Re: Walk up/down a chord

Have you tried  http://www.musicmoose.org  I've gotten great tips thru their free lessons, really talented musicians on guitar, banjo, and mandolin...marcalan

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

I'm sure a guy on this web site, Jerome.oneil, will be able to explain this clearly

aj1 wrote:

I'm sure a guy on this web site, Jerome.oneil, will be able to explain this clearly

Well thanks!

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "walk up and down the chord" though?

Do you mean arpegios over a single chord?  A "bass walk" over a chord progression?   Chord progressions through a song?

Do you have an example of a song where this is done?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Not sure, but he's probably talking about a bass walk over a chord, seems quite common

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Alright then, lets go with that bass walk over chords.

Lets pick three chords.  I choose C F and G, but really, any chord progression will work, so long as you stay within the triadic chords of the key.   But for now, lets just stick with old reliable I IV V progressions.  In C, that's C F G.   For our purposes, we're going to talk about the strings in terms of "basses" and "trebles."  The basses are E A and D.  The trebles are G B and e.

It's important to know which strings you would normally strike when you strum a chord.  We mute the big E for open C, striking only the strings from the A on down.  If you use a full barre for your F, then you would strike the E string, but if you're like most humans, you're going to just barre the B and little e string with your F, and strike the A string on down.  G is a full chord, so you strike all the strings, starting with the big E.

So go ahead and fret the C chord.   Now take your thumb and alternate between striking the A and D strings.  Use your thumb.  Not your fingers.  They'll have their own job to do in a minute.

---------------
---------------
---------------
---2----2-----2---2-
-3---3-----3----3-
x---------------

Now keep that same alternating pattern going, and transition to the F.    The tab now looks like this.

---------------
---------------
---------------
---3----3-----3---3-
-3---3-----3----3-
x---------------

Now to the G.  Move your alternating rhythm to the E and A strings, though.

---------------
---------------
---------------
---------------
---2----2----2---2-
-3---3----3----3-

So that's the walk part.  It's done completely on the basses.   Now lets put the rest of your fingers to work.

Move back to C.  Start your walk with your thumb, but between each thumb strike, pluck the treble strings with your remaining fingers.  The walk then looks like this tabbed out.

----0---0----0----
----1---1----1----
----0---0----0----
------2----------2-
-3---------3-------
x------------------

Then progress through the chord changes as you did before.  It's pretty easy with a little practice.     I sometimes use a pick on the basses if I want the bass walk to stand out a lot, but using just your thumb is easier, I think.  Work on training your treble fingers to find their assigned string naturally.   Once you're doing it it will look like your hand is barely moving at all.   

If you're comfortable playing scales in position, then this becomes a really powerful tool, too.  You can alternate between your bass walk, and your melody line and never come out of position.

So there it is.  Walking bass lines made easy.  I hope.  big_smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

7 (edited by dguyton 2007-11-26 17:19:46)

When someone says ‘walk’ in relation to guitar, particularly acoustic guitar, I think of a bluegrass/country sort of chord transition lick used when strumming. 

For instance, if you were changing between the chords C and G and back, in between strums, you would flatpick a walk like so:

o--------3--------o--
1--------o--------1--
0--------o--------o--
2--------o--------2--
3-3-2-o-2---o-2-3--
x--------3-3------x--

If you combine this with a pattern like Jerome describes above, you're pretty much in the country business.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Great info!! Thanks everyone -- time to go and practice!

Can I open this topic up again with a different example of a walk down chord progression?  I hear a bass walk down (bass notes:  D, C#, B, A, G, F#, E, A) in the song "There's Your Trouble" by the Dixie Chicks.  It's in the key of D.  I'd like to find out what chords to play (somewhat simplified...not looking for "diminished blah blah blah" chords!) along with those bass notes.

The suggestions I have found online to this point, don't really seem quite right (could be the simplified chords just don't cut it?):  Chords: D, D/C#, Bm, D, G, G/F#, Em, A
Specifically, the "D" after the "Bm" doesn't seem to be the correct chord.  The others seem like they'll work.  Any ideas?

Thanks for reading! :-)

This is also common in that situation. I haven't heard the song though so I can't be sure.

Chords: D, D/C#, Bm, A, G, D/F#, Em, A

Or try F#m instead of D/F#

Grin -

I avoid that problem by not playing chords when I do bass walk downs.  I just play the bass notes. You'll hear Johnny Cash use this approach often.  You'll also hear it often in Chicago blues.  If pressed to play chords, I'll try and keep my treble notes for the starting chord in place and then finger the bass notes of the walk-down until it's time for the new chord.   I have no idea what the resulting combination of notes are properly called, but I'm sure there are probably slashes and 7s involved in the names.  I do this second approach in Dance, Dance, Dance by Steve Miller.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude