Topic: Guitar Paint... esp. Fender

Anyone know how or where to purchase Factory Paint or the equivelant for Electric Guitar restoration.  Am esp. interested in Fender colors..Thanks,  FiveO

Re: Guitar Paint... esp. Fender

Guitar reranch and or an auto paint store. I have a very good friend that is a painter at a Lincoln dealership and also paints custom low riders. (Hey I live in Sur Califa's home boy for Southern California). So He does my work for free, candie's or flake all I have to do is ask. Really a good guy. Also go to www.edenhausguitars. Bernie is also a super guy he has a paint history & type of paint used if your going to buy from an auto paint shopcheck his site for the type first. How or what are you going to use to strip the old paint?

Bootlegger.

Thanks Bootlegger, but will an Auto Paint store just match the color from a picture or would it be designated by name ?  For instance I want to restore a Tele in Surf Green and want it as close to Fender's color as possible. Thanks again, ...FiveO

They can match it also but once again you have to know what type of paint your looking for, ie enamel, laquer and such.  Cruise Bernies sight read the history of the paints so you don't go in and get sold stuff that won't work & won't break your bank. You can also go to an autobody shop and see if any of the painters do side jobs. THis will save you from buying equipment for a onetime shoot.

Bootlegger.

Great  !  idea on the auto paint guys doing side jobs, Thanks again !! ! !  !   FiveO

FiveO, the original paint for the surf green was Duco# 2253 what they called a nitrocellulose lacquer which is no longer used. The choice of paints for Fender at the time were an acrylic lacquer because they dried faster and were not as brittle (prone to crack with age) as the nitrocellulose lacquer. They got the idea from the car industry they liked acrylic lacquer because when they painted a car it dried fasted and the finish scratches could be buffed out.

For a long time you could not find any color matches for Duco paints because they were not transfered over to acrylic lacquer formats. But you can get them now in auto paint supply houses. The original Duco id. number was 2461, the new Dupont (they made Duco) id. number is 2461K low V.O.C (volitile organtic compound)

Bootlegger.

Thanks again my friend, I'll get a pic of this little baby to ya when she's done ! FiveO