Re: New Chord Search engine: searchbychords.com

Right on , beamer

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

NELA wrote:

My question is how does this help them if the only chords they know how to play does not fit their voice range or the voice of the person with them who is doing the singing? I agree it is great to be able to call up a song that is in the key of (place key here) and to be able to play it. Gives you a feeling of accomplishment. I think that if one learns SEVERAL simple basic progressions (leave out the key of B or F and any of the flat keys) a whole different world then opens up for you. Then learn how to transpose a song to a different key or the proper use of a capo and you can open up the universe. This tool (search by chords) is a well thought out item but don't limit your learning of playing by depending on this as the answer to you becoming a GUItar GOD.

Nela

I think for some the felling of accomplishment comes from learning to play any song. If you learn a Em, G, C, D song then why not try to learn six more with the same progression. That way you can get more playing under your belt in a shorter amount of time because you already know the chords.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

beamer wrote:

Not everyone can sing. Not everyone is able to transpose, ( I let the program in the song list do it for me) and many dont get the I III IV thig at all.  12 yrs and I just cant get my head wrapped around it and most music theory.  That is why we like chords tongue
With someone singing I wouldnt even know which way to transpose a song up or down and to what key?  ( The key unlocks my case right? lol  )

I'm sitting in the same boat Beamer. We learn a little theory here and there, but for the most part, It's another language. I can't sing, therefore I have no key.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar wrote:

It's another language. I can't sing, therefore I have no key.

You can sing.  If you can catch on to phone number rhythm and if you can say the pledge of allegiance from memory, then you have enough memory and rhythm to learn to sing.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That's pretty cool GW. 
Nice job on the design, extremely easy to use.
Thanks!
Jim

What I read in Nela's post was -- don't stop there!  C and G were pretty nasty not all that long ago too.
There's lots to learn, lots to accomplish.  You can do it (if you want to).

jgreen wrote:

That's pretty cool GW. 
Thanks!
Jim

Thanks. The design is more a lack of design. I can design, but I'm not a designer. Like I play the guitar without being a real guitar player. smile

jgreen wrote:

What I read in Nela's post was -- don't stop there!  C and G were pretty nasty not all that long ago too.

Glad I never had a problem with the C and the G. I had more trouble striking just 4 strings of the D. The knowledge that one day I'll be able to play the F as easy as an A gives me the strength to proceed. One day I'll be victorious. smile

GW1976 wrote:
jgreen wrote:

That's pretty cool GW. 
Thanks!
Jim

Thanks. The design is more a lack of design. I can design, but I'm not a designer. Like I play the guitar without being a real guitar player. smile

jgreen wrote:

Glad I never had a problem with the C and the G. I had more trouble striking just 4 strings of the D. The knowledge that one day I'll be able to play the F as easy as an A gives me the strength to proceed. One day I'll be victorious. smile

Just play a root 5th F,  index on 6th string 3rd finger on A string 3rd fret.  If you want more tone, add pinky to D string 3rd fret and 2nd finger to Gstring second fret (wala now you have a Fmajor)  but a lot of rock guys dont use the G string.   You can use the 3 finger pattern all over the guitar and move it down to the A string also.  you can also keep your index barred across  all and then drop your other three fingers down a string each (basically make an Am with them) and you have another chord.  youll have to use the chord finder from J guitar (http://jguitar.com/chordname)
to get the correct names. I use 'em but not know them roll
Prime EX: Turn the page by Bob Segar

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/getso … age.chopro

and then by Metallica

I cant find the verson I have in my book at home but just turn on distortion and on the major stuff use root 5ths with the pinky added.  you could do teh minors also but I think on this they sound better open.
I found a FREE pdf download for Barre Chords http://www.guitar-skill-builder.com/Bar … Chart.html
makes life much easier big_smile
Cheers!
Beamer

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

In my post above, I never meant it to critize what you have done or your reasoning behing this search tool. My comment is that there is SO MUCH more out there to learn. Using a capo or learning to transpose songs into another is not something difficult to do. If you learn the musical alphabet and can count to 12 you can learn to transpose a song to another key. If you learn the notes on the low E string and the A string then you can use a capo and transpose a song to another key. There is just so much more out there to learn you don't need to limit yourself to only using a few chords.

As for singing - I don't sing. That task is left to my wife. When I learn a song I learn it from listening to a CD in the key it is recorded. Once I have the timing and rythem down it's time to relearn the song in a key to match my wife's voice. Without knowing how to transpose a song or the use of a capo I could never do this.

Nela

34 (edited by beamer 2012-06-22 01:42:24)

Nela,

The key word is "If"

In my case as I have mentionedm there are just some things no matter how hard I try, my brain just wont absorb.  As I mentioned Theory and the whole I V IV thing.

I had my sons guitar instructor try to teach it to me so I could hep my son with His asignment, It just sounded like Charlie Browns teacher to me.  and I really was trying to learn it, it just didn and still does not compute.  So, gimmi the chords baby!  Ill strum them all night long while someone else does the lead work.  I can play some basic scales and make stuff sound cool on my own, but not over top of a progression.  been trying for 20 yrs. 
Maybe if I had a daily tutor I would finally get it all.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Beamer, with your permission I would like to send you a chord progression chart that is easy to use and understand. I just play rythem guitar, too many problems (surheries) with my hands, and mainly stay with the open chords although I do and can play ba few barr chords when needed. I don't sing but my wife does and since we have get together with a group 2 weekends each month to play I need to be able to play in a different chord progression. This chart I made does help me along with a capo. Let me know.

Nela

Hello all,
            this thread seems to have wandered off track a bit.
To GW, a great first post and welcome.
As a 3 or 4 chord strummer, I find your site very useful and have saved it in my favourites.

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Nela

you have mail. big_smile