Topic: New Chord Search engine: searchbychords.com

Hi there.
I just finished something I want to share. I'm a very poor guitar player. Still struggling with the F. While sweating and learning I also wanted to play a lot of songs. Problem is that it takes a lot of time to search for songs with chords one masters. You can spend a whole day looking, without finding the song that fits the mood. Luckily sites like Chordie.com help a lot, but you still need to search a huge database for songs you can play. I made that process a little bit easier. I've called my chord-searchengine SearchByChords.com and it searches sites like chordie, ultimate-guitar.com and guitarfiles.be.
How it works: you can enter (for example) something like 'Em, G, D, A, C', hit search, and you get alle the songs you can play with exact these chords, or with some of these chords. If you're logged in you can also save a song to your personal songbook. It's not fancy and rather straight forward. Still, hope I've not only made my own life easier with this online app, but also the life of other hobby guitar players. It's free to use.

@moderators: I'm a new forum user. If you feel this is spam, feel free to remove this thread. I just wanted to share cause it seemed relevant and useful.

2 (edited by dino48 2012-06-14 20:48:45)

Re: New Chord Search engine: searchbychords.com

HI gw1976 just wanted too welcome you too the forum. F and B are the chords most of us have had trouble with, they are not user friendly so you are not alone.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I will save this one in my favorites.  Very cool engin you have built.  Hey mods, this one is cool and free

GW I hope you stick around and share your thoughts with us. this is one of the best guitar forums I have found. 

Beamer

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

There was some uncertainty amongt us as to whether this post was acceptable and I temporarily moved it into the Moderator's section whilst awaiting a decision from the site owner.

Happily our doubts were unfounded and so I have moved the post back.

Enjoy.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

No problem, guys. I knew it could look like spam. Wasn't my intention. Yes, there are google adds on the site, but that's because I expect this can/will be used by a lot of people. I like to share the idea and search engine, but I don't want to pay for every user myself. I'd rather let google do that. smile

that was amazing. I`m very chordally challenged myself.I will get use out of it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

And chordie decoder ring sales plummet. Oh well.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Chordie decoder ring? What's that?

It's a joke GW - read this thread:

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=19946

A joke?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

^ I didn't say it was a good or particularly funny joke. big_smile

its  a great idea for a site

I like to practice my scales to songs in a certain key (C, G, D,A and E). However I get bored of the same songs.  I expect if I look for the right chords I'll be able to find songs in the key I want

topdown wrote:

^ I didn't say it was a good or particularly funny joke. big_smile

It made me laugh,pretty good,guess you are out of a second income now topdown!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Dang, I thought those decoder rings was for real - went out and bought a case of cracker-jacks, thinking I might find a ring in one.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Darn. Sounded cool. smile

GW1976 wrote:

I just finished something I want to share. ... . I just wanted to share cause it seemed relevant and useful.

GW:

First, welcome to the forum.  This is likely the BEST first post anyone other than Admin has ever entered on this forum.  Just guessing.

Second, This is an EXCELLENT piece of work.  Thanks so much for sharing it with us.  We have MANY more forum lurkers than forum posters, so I'd venture to guess this will help thousands of people who see it and save it, even if they don't acknowledge or thank you for it.

Third, a question:  when you enter chords into the search bar, do you need to put spaces after the commas, or does it matter?

Once again, well done, and thanks!

PS:  Chordians - if you haven't noticed yet, another cool feature about this is that if you enter an invalid chord, you get a little pop-up bubble that tells you it is invalid before you actually hit the search button.  I found this by accident when I inadvertently deleted the space and the comma between two of the chords.  It told me that "GEm" is invalid.  pretty slick!

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

17 (edited by beamer 2012-06-18 03:08:47)

HEy I think we could come up with one big_smile I came up with the incantation.  Granted I pinched Green lantern for some of it! LOLOLOLOLOLOL

put something like a big C in th e middle of Something like this 
http://www.superherostuff.com/green-lan … welry.html

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Astronomikal wrote:
GW1976 wrote:

I just finished something I want to share. ... . I just wanted to share cause it seemed relevant and useful.

GW:

Third, a question:  when you enter chords into the search bar, do you need to put spaces after the commas, or does it matter?

Doesn't really matter. Spaces and komma's will both work.

Very nice job GW - I agree with Nom, likely one of the very best first posts.  We do hope you'll join us here on Chordie and get to know the crew.  smile  I'm glad the site was found to be acceptable by our Admin to be posted on our forum.  Yippie!  Excellent job!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

On Roger's suggestion - I have created a sticky in the "song requests" section with a link to this site so you can find it again easier down the road.  Great resource!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I do know that many people have come to this forum in the past and asked for any songs with 3-4 chords (A,D,E for example) because those are the chords they have learned so far.  This will help them immensley

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

My question is how does this help them if the only chords they know how to play does not fit their voice range or the voice of the person with them who is doing the singing? I agree it is great to be able to call up a song that is in the key of (place key here) and to be able to play it. Gives you a feeling of accomplishment. I think that if one learns SEVERAL simple basic progressions (leave out the key of B or F and any of the flat keys) a whole different world then opens up for you. Then learn how to transpose a song to a different key or the proper use of a capo and you can open up the universe. This tool (search by chords) is a well thought out item but don't limit your learning of playing by depending on this as the answer to you becoming a GUItar GOD.

Nela

Fortunately not everyone wants to be a guitar god. smile

GW1976 wrote:

Fortunately not everyone wants to be a guitar god. smile

cool  +1

A lot of people just want to play, or play along with a backing trackor be able to bash out some some tunes whiles drinking some beers. 

How do you all think I found this place?  Its only been the last year or so that I have been fourm active,, but I have pinched  a buttload of songs to jam too, mostly  by myself or one other person.

big_smile

NELA wrote:

My question is how does this help them if the only chords they know how to play does not fit their voice range or the voice of the person with them who is doing the singing? I agree it is great to be able to call up a song that is in the key of (place key here) and to be able to play it. Gives you a feeling of accomplishment. I think that if one learns SEVERAL simple basic progressions (leave out the key of B or F and any of the flat keys) a whole different world then opens up for you. Then learn how to transpose a song to a different key or the proper use of a capo and you can open up the universe. This tool (search by chords) is a well thought out item but don't limit your learning of playing by depending on this as the answer to you becoming a GUItar GOD.

Nela

Not everyone can sing. Not everyone is able to transpose, ( I let the program in the song list do it for me) and many dont get the I III IV thig at all.  12 yrs and I just cant get my head wrapped around it and most music theory.  That is why we like chords tongue
With someone singing I wouldnt even know which way to transpose a song up or down and to what key?  ( The key unlocks my case right? lol  )