Topic: Need alternative to F#m! for johnny cash song

I am bound and determined to play the johnny cash version of I Wont Back Down! But i have short fingers (why play th guitar? I just fn love th sound of an acoustic guitar! and what is life without challenges?) and try as I may, I cannot CANNOT get my fingers to do F sharp minor! :'-( I have tried so many different versions of it, no luck. Would somebody please listen to this song, and figure out a chord that is acceptable for use in its place? It does not have to sound the same, just acceptable. Even a completely different chord. please, I dont have an ear for that yet. I would appreciate it immensely! I would be eternally grateful
here is the song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8i5NLyX … re=related
here is the tab I am using http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/j/johnn … wn_crd.htm

Re: Need alternative to F#m! for johnny cash song

Hi lauralaura
Welcome to Chordie
It may sound obivious but if you can't get your fingers around an F#m then try playing the song in a different key..
with no F#m in the progression.
ark

3 (edited by Baldguitardude 2012-04-05 18:51:55)

Several ideas here:
1. Play an A major but mute the e and a string and add a high F# on the high e string (2nd fret.)

x
x

2. Play it in dm7 shape a major third up the neck:

x
x

3. As #2 above but mute the 6th fret G string:
x
x
x

4. Play a power chord.
x
x
x     

5. Capo on the 2nd fret and instead of playing F#m, E and A, play these shapes: Em, D, G.

6. As #5 above but ditch the capo and just move the song down a whole step.

7. Play it as a triad:
x
x
x

8. Capo on the 4th fret and play these shapes: Dm, C, F.

edited to add more options.

Persevere.  If you have real, honest-to-goodness fingers that are not deformed in some way you can play an F#m.  Many people have come on saying their fingers are too fat to play, or too short to play, or whatever, and in time they have all been able to do what they wanted when they have persevered.  So that would be my advice.  If it's any help to you, Johnny Cash also hated playing the F#m chord. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

^Didn't know that about Johnny Cash. He's a favorite of mine, I should learn more about him. Good advice, though. Gotta keep at it. F#m (really any F) was impossible for me, too. I remember telling my friends I couldn't do it, but they said I had to. And now I do all the time. (Still not my favorite, but I can do it.)

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Have you tried olding down the bottom three strings in the second fret and only strum those three or four strings?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I dont get it,,, its just a Am w/ 2nd 3rd an 4th fingers and your index across the second fret.     Once i learned this form and the E shaped one,, I use the heck out of them.

KEEP AT IT-- Barr chords will save ya.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Hi ll did you check out Tom Petty and the hearbreakers version it may be different.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

beamer wrote:

I dont get it,,, its just a Am w/ 2nd 3rd an 4th fingers and your index across the second fret.     Once i learned this form and the E shaped one,, I use the heck out of them.

Hmm, could you explain?

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

beamer wrote:

.... but the Am shape only becomes F#m on the 9th fret.......... and that is a big jump!!

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

^That's what I was thinking. I think he meant to say and 'E' shape.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Same shape.  Different strings. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

13 (edited by wlbaye 2012-04-06 16:52:54)

Use a Capo ,

Capo at the second fret will be in the same key , only you will use Em D G for the verses smile

here are the tabs,

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.r … -back-down

Later, Wayne P

14 (edited by beamer 2012-04-06 23:50:59)

auxi wrote:

^That's what I was thinking. I think he meant to say and 'E' shape.

YOu are correct sir! LOLOL oops,  so it looks like this

http://jguitar.com/chordsearch/F%23m    THE FIRST DIAGRAM.

That is how I have always played it. 

Ok, now dumb question,, what is the chord if you bar the 2nd fret and do the Am (like I wrongly said ^)

just found this on same site! http://jguitar.com/chordname

So my answer is
F#sus4#5      F# Suspended 4th Sharp 5th
Bm/F#          B/F# Minor
D6/F#           D/F# 6th

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Haha! Not 'sir', I'm a girl! smile

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

16 (edited by bunbun 2012-04-07 05:23:05)

Play it as a power chord with your index on the sixth string/second fret, your ring finger on the fifth string/fourth fret and your pinky on the fourth string/fourth fret then only strum the sixth, fifth and fourth strings. I am guessing your problem with the "short" fingers is that you cannot barre and pull this chord off. If you play it as an F#5 (?) chord (power chord) it should be a bit easier.

auxi wrote:

Many apologies :>)  Guess I should have looked at your profile.

18 (edited by vxn911 2012-04-11 14:57:24)

laura laura.... hey for a simpler solution until you learn a F#M.... just replace it with a dmaj7.... Bar the bottom three strings on the second fret. It should sound close enough to play the song you like. Good luck. Sherri. smile
Look under the resource section, then large chord tab...you will see it that and it will sound close enough. enjoy your song.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

beamer wrote:
auxi wrote:

Many apologies :>)  Guess I should have looked at your profile.

Haha! Perfectly okay. I don't expect everyone to check out my profile. smile smile

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue