Topic: Yamaha 335

2 years ago my daughter gave me a yamaha fg 335bl (black) for fathers day. I restrung it but it still leaves a lot to be desired.It is the lowest of yamaha guitars but it was a gift from the trout. Is there anything I could do to make it as good as my sj-180. Bridge pins, set up, new nut. I hate to have it sitting in a case all the time. The reason I got it. I saw it at guitar center and liked it. My daughter saw a dean V coustic that she liked even more. I could only afford one or the other that day. We came home with the Dean. My wife went and ordered the yamaha for me so she could give it to me for fathers day. It looks great.Black with gold hardware.It just doesnt feel right.That is why I want to fix it up.Even if I have to spend more than it costs.(within reason).

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: Yamaha 335

It's not the lowest.  The lowest is the F310, which I have.  I have done the following to my F310 to make it sound better, which is quite a lot better. 

First, change the strings to .11s or .12s.  It comes with .10s, which always sound tinny and weak on an acoustic, I think.  When you change, if you choose .11s, try some Silk and Steels.  If that doesn't work, try some Phosphor Bronze.  Replace the bridge with a Tusq or bone bridge.  It will mean some sanding for you, but it will make a big difference.  Replace the plastic bridge pins with Tusq, dense wood, or bronze.  I haven't tried replacing the nut with Tusq or bone (that would take paying someone to do the work), but I have heard that it makes a big difference.  For $8 for strings and $12 for a Tusq nut and however much for bridge pins that you care to spend, you can have a radically different and much better sounding guitar. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I forgot to mention that if you put bigger gauge strings on, you may need to tighten the truss rod.  It uses an allen key wrench.  Turn it clockwise to tighten it.  Turn 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn at a time and let that settle in before you try more.  I also sanded the Tusq bridge down some so that the action is lower. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Interesting as the 335BL and the SJ-180 (and the F310) are all-laminate construction so I'd expect them to sound "similar". I do know the SJ-180 is a great guitar. I agree with Zurf on the modifications he recommends.