Topic: amps

hi everyone.
can someone tell me the difference of playing an electro acoustic through a electric guitar amp or an acoustic amp.

regards.

john

Re: amps

I have an electric guitar.  I played it through an electric amp that was ruined.  I replaced it with an acoustic amp.  I actually like the sound better.  I think the main difference is that acoustic amps don't all have effects loops while electrics do.  There are probably also some voicing differences in the loudspeakers.  It's all what you've got.  I'll play an electric through my bass amp if it comes down to it.  Use what you've got and save your pennies to get what you want.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

hi zurf.
many thanks for your thoughts i will have to look at these acoustic amps

regards.

john

John, if I remember right you have an amp that most of us would dream of having.You should stick with that and see how it sounds first. I just played my yamaha apx-4a through my gibson falcon and I thought it sounded pretty good.Give it a try.The worst that could happen is nothing

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Flash,
Acoustic amps and Electrics are designed quite differently. The Acoustic amp is designed for as clean a signal as possible and you won't get that plugged in to an electric amp. Plugging and acoustic into an electric amp sometimes sounds ok but it won't sound like an acoustic. Electric guitars are very dependent on the amp for distortion and effects.

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

hi joeyjoeyjoey many thanks a friend of mine has this acoustic guitar and i just wondered if it was possible to do it.

many thanks.

john

hi wibaye
thankyou for your answer i thought they were all the same .

regards.

john

flashgordon wrote:

hi joeyjoeyjoey many thanks a friend of mine has this acoustic guitar and i just wondered if it was possible to do it.

many thanks.

john

Wayne is right.They are not the same.My point is to try it on yours first.It wont do any damage to either piece. Or try some at a music store first.The worst that can happen is nothing.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Oh what a can of worms you've opened here! I recently went through this and ended up buying an acoustic amp and keeping my electric amp. Acoustic amps are designed to reduce the feedback that you get when playing an acoustic guitar through an electric amp.

To say they're built to produce as clean a signal as possible isn't quite right, check out the Vox AGA70 which has a tube preamp which can be driven to break up, weird I know but there you go. There are also plenty of acoustic amps that are loaded with effects, check out the Marshall AS100D.

Many will also have two channels and will come with a mic input so you can use them a mini PA if you're playing solo in coffee shops or small venues.

I ended up buying a Fishman Loudbox Mini which is the mutts. I've not tried to play an electric guitar through it as I have my Blackstar for that. The right tool for the job!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

In a nutshell an acoustic amp

Think of acoustic amps as small PA systems. They are designed to amplify a clean signal, and not change the tone of the instrument. Acoustic amps are solid state circuitry, to help minimize distortion.

Sure alot of acoustic amps have effects but , they are in fact a small PA.

Later, Wayne P

many thanks to you all for replying to this topic.

regards

john

I used many guitar amps from a Fender Super Reverb, Super Twin Reverb up to a Super Six. These are good for bands of any size. You mic 'em in a concert situation.
Now that I work mostly alone, I prefer a P.A. system. I have a Peavey 6000 350 watt, six channel input driver and two columns with 10 inch speakers and horns. I saved two 300 watt J.B.L. EONs from my big system to add to that if I need to really honk outside. I can use the basic system for monitors and turn the EONs up to painful.
With a P.A. you can mic anything but bass guitar. I can run three microphones, two guitars and a djembe drum and everything comes through sounding great.
When I work alone I use a Korg guitar effects pedal, my Gibson 330 in one channel and a SM58 Mic through a T.C.Helicon vocal processor in another channel.
I use one Eon with the 15 inch speaker up 50% and the horn turned off to mic my tuba with a SM57 on a tripod boom stand.
Big sound.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

wow toots id never be able to do all that

regards

john

I
just bought a behringer acoustic amp for $69 & it sounds great with my martin. It also has a voice outlet I haven't tried yet.