Topic: I have a new best friend

G5.

I have been trying to do acoustic versions of some older songs that use mostly electric.  One I'm working on right now is Drift Away, best known version sung by Dobie Gillis.  Anyway, Dobie did it in E.  E means B, and that's evil.  So I have been trying it in G.  It doesn't sound right. Or... DIDN'T sound right until I remember that electric players use a lot of power chords way up the neck to get some of the sounds they get.  What's a power chord but the root and fifth, which is a 5 chord.  So I tried the intro up at the nut using G5, C(with the extra G on the high e), and D.  THAT'S WHAT I WAS MISSING!  Sounds much, much better.  So I started slipping G5 into other songs.  Landslide for instance.  OH YEAH!  So now I have a new best friend.  My fingers don't like it much, but I'll learn it same as all the other chords.  Just transitioning to it enough times to make it smooth. 

G5.  Who knew it could be so simple. 

Hmmm.  I wonder how to make a C5 and a D5 and what they sound like....

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: I have a new best friend

Zurf, I think you meant to say Dobie Gray. Dobie Gillis was the 60's TV character. I guess I just showed my age !!  Anyway cool new trick.
  Joe

I was going to mention it also. Dobie Gillis.  Good one Zurf.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

LOL!  Dobie Gray then.  There's two guys in the world named Dobie.  It figures I'd mix them up. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

His name could have been Maynard G Crebbs. That is a funny one.  Zurf, you're alright.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Where'd you play the G5 in Landslide?

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Zurf, perhaps learning, or using, power chords more may make the B easier. I "discovered" how to do the B chord plus the C and D (which if barred are the same as the B with the barre's on third and fifth frets). This "discovery" was after trying to learnt he barre chord shapes and then sliding down the neck to produce the other notes.

With just a bit of practice the B, C and D barre chords are relatively easy.

In case anyone is wondering(or cares). The G in Maynard G. Crebbs name stands for Walter.Now you can sleep at nights with that off your mind.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I liked Maynard way more than Gilligan...

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

auxi wrote:

I used the Landslide 2 by Dixie Chicks (yeah, I know, but that's the group is listed as in the Chordie songs section) chord pro sheet, and anywhere there's a G I tried a G5.  The places where I liked the sound better, I kept it. 

I also use a C with the additional high G played on the high e string when I play Landslide.  I'll put the extra G in and take it out to mix up the sound when I'm picking it.  It's a little more interesting sounding. 

- Zurf

I play landslide travis picked with capo on 3rd fret   C: 032010   G/B:020030   Am7:002010  G/B:020030

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

joeyjoeyjoey,
Now I can't sleep at night thinking about how G can stand for Walter !!!    I love it !!!!!!

Joe

I guess it was Krebs.

Zurf wrote:
auxi wrote:

I used the Landslide 2 by Dixie Chicks (yeah, I know, but that's the group is listed as in the Chordie songs section) chord pro sheet, and anywhere there's a G I tried a G5.  The places where I liked the sound better, I kept it. 

I also use a C with the additional high G played on the high e string when I play Landslide.  I'll put the extra G in and take it out to mix up the sound when I'm picking it.  It's a little more interesting sounding. 

- Zurf

The Dixie Chicks did Landslide really good. I can't stand them, but their music is pretty. Thanks for the info. I have been playing it with the highG C chord. I play most of it like Guitar pix said. Gonna see about that G5. smile

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Guitarpix wrote:

I play landslide travis picked with capo on 3rd fret   C: 032010   G/B:020030   Am7:002010  G/B:020030

I'll try that G/B, but I really liked the sound of G5: 320033

whitewater55 wrote:

I liked Maynard way more than Gilligan...

Bob Denver also played a taxi driver named Rufus in a show called" The Good Guys". And he also played a character named Dusty in a show called "Dusty`s Trail". No matter which show you watched,nobody was cooler than Maynard

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Zurf wrote:
Guitarpix wrote:

I'll try that G/B, but I really liked the sound of G5: 320033

Yup, give G/B a whirl! wink I played G5 in my Landslide and love the sound. Thanks for the tip.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue