Topic: introduction and amazed

Hello all I am molde oldie lol  Found this site awhile back and think it is great!  Thanks to all that make it the wonder that it is. Now on to my amazed part..... about a month ago I was in a Pawn shop and saw a dirty old guitar hanging on the wall it was a Mitchell MD100S model.  The strings were old and worn out but it sounded ok and I figured what the heck it's only 95 bucks tax and all so I went for it.  Got it home shined it up and put some Martin strings on it and I am amazed at this guitar.  Is my ear so bad that a crappy guitar sounds good to me or have I stumbled upon an unknown gem that is hiding behing cheap prices?  I would be interested in anything anyone that has had or played one of these guitars has to say on the subject.

Re: introduction and amazed

Welcome to the forum Molde, any pics?

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Welcome to Chordie forums molde oldie.  I don't know that particular model, but I've banged on a few Mitchell guitars.  I think they're quite nice for the price. 

The main lesson is that if it sounds good, it is good. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I`ve played mitchells at guitar center,I found they played fine.I am not sure but I think it is guitar centers store brand.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

welcome here,I have never seen a mitchell,but what is important is if you are happy with it that is the good thing.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Welcome to Chordie MoldieOldie!  I believe the guys are right, it's a GC brand.  I did a little search and new they sell for $189... used a little over $100 so I think the price you paid is fair considering you had to restring and clean it all up.  Honestly though, price doesn't matter that much.  Finding a gem is about finding a gem.  If you are satisfied with the guitar, then that's what matters!  Last time I went shopping, I passed up higer priced guitars with solid tops for a much lower priced laminate top because that's the one that spoke to me!  Your guitar has some really good reviews on GC website from buyers, so it sounds like a gem to me!  Here's some specs for your guitar taken from GC website:

"Body Style: Dreadnought
Top: Spruce
Back: Mahogany
Sides: Mahogany
Neck: Mahogany
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Bridge: Rosewood
No. of frets: 20/14 open
Scale length: 25-1/2"
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Neck width at body: 2-1/8"
String spacing at saddle E-E: 2-1/8"
Inlay pattern: Mother of Pearl dots
Rosette: Abalone
Binding: White with Black/White/Black Purfling
Pickguard: Black
Bridgepins: Black
Saddle: Compensated
Width at Upper Bout: 11-3/8"
Width at Lower Bout: 15-3/8"
Maximum Depth: 4-3/4"
Finish: Gloss
Tuners: Chrome"

Happy playing!  Enjoy it!

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Welcome aboard moldieoldie.  Congrats on the Mitchell. 

As Amy said, some guitars just speak to you.  Unfortunately the ones that speak to me have price tags that result in them still hanging on the music store wall and whispering to me as I walk out the door ........

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Thank you all for your feedback and information.  A wealth of knowledge here for sure.