Topic: Nashville (Tennessee) or Bust!

Family trip to Nashville this weekend so my daughter can complete a vocal audition at Vanderbilt University for admission, scholarships, etc,. I don't know if I'll have any time for touring or shopping but can anyone recommend cool things to see, great guitar shops, or music venues? Thanks in advance. dj

Re: Nashville (Tennessee) or Bust!

I have no recommendations, but good luck to your daughter.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Naolslager, first, good luck to your Daughter. The Country Music Hall OF fame, The Ryman Auditorium, Many Bars on Broadway that have Bands/ Singers and or players interaining for tips, endless things to do just pick up info at where you are staying and, have a good time in Nashville.  b

Neo, Gruhn Guitars is located in Nashville. 400 Broadway. A must see.
Have fun.
   Joe

5 (edited by Bass Viking 2012-02-21 04:09:15)

Made the trip last August and was most moved by a tour of Studio B, where many, many artists recorded their hit music.  From Elvis, Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline to Garth Brooks the tour was soooo informative and even a little spiritual for me to actually sit at the piano where Elvis played and sang and to stand in front of the same microphone some of the others recorded their hits.  The Country Music Hall of Fame was interesting and much more elaborate than what I remember the previous place to be from forty years ago.  I wasn't as impressed with the local bar scene as I thought I would be.  Much of the entertainment  in the bars were playing for tips and I didn't feel they were significantly better than what you could hear around one of the better night spots around home.  We did an evening dinner cruise on the General Jackson; and while a bit pricey, the food was good and the entertainment was very good; like what you might expect on a cruise ship theatre.

Probably most importantly would be that you get to spend the time with your daughter and share in her nerves, excitement and joy over auditioning for college assistance.  That trumps all the tours and sightseeing you could do!  Good Luck to her!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Playing for tips? I cannot afford to pay anyone to listen to me! I think I'll carry around an empty guitar case with a gaunt look on my face and pretend to be an undiscovered (and starving) artist.

Thanks for the information, advice, etc. I am really excited for my daughter. I'll let you know how it goes. About a week ago she auditioned at the University of Georgia. This did not go well but I believe it was because they were disorganized and seemed to be indifferent to the whole scheme. Very disappointing. I know my daughter is good. She can give you goosebumbs with her singing and, of course, I must always have a tissue near by. Yes, I am the dad and biased but I have heard so much positive feedback from others that I know it' not me. And my undeveloped ears can detect brilliance.

I hope and pray she ends up doing something vocal/musical in life as this seems to be here LOVE. And, as they say, do what you love and never work a day in your life.

That is fantastic Nao!  Good luck and best wishes to your daughter!  The trickiest part is always the sight reading (for me anyhow).  See what she wants to do and enjoy it together!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Best of luck to your young lady!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Best of luck to your daughter.Have a good trip to Nashville.That is a trip I always wanted to make.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Mekidsmom, Yes, sight-reading is tough.

Wow sounds very nerve racking. I'm sure she'll do fine.

Nashville is known as "Music City", so I'm thinking you'll have too much to enjoy.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

The hotel reservations are made. Thanks to me we are staying in or near a place called "Music Row" which is conveniently close to Vanderbilt University. I remain hopeful this is a "good" area and we can move around on foot.

I think Music Row is a business/tourist area, so hopefully you'll be in good shape for getting around.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

14 (edited by naolslager 2012-02-23 15:47:49)

We leave today. Coffee with my daughter this morning. She seems confident and ready.

By the way, Craig's List exists in Nashville! Who knew? I've contacted two local sellers regarding guitars. Now, how do I broach this with the wife? Maybe: "I'm going out for bagels. Be back soon. " (Guitar in hand.)
dj

Get back to playing!

Bagels should do it.  And the guitar followed me back.  Imagine that honey.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Just don't forget to bring bagles back with you... else you'll be in big trouble!

Or at least put a little smear of cream cheese at the corner of your mouth.

I'm telling you, a woman will be furious if you said you were going to get bagles and didn't come back with any for HER, regardless of whatever else you came back with.  NEVER forget the bagles!  LOL!  wink

20 (edited by naolslager 2012-02-27 01:10:57)

Back in Atlanta, the audition behind us. My daughter thinks she did well and the whole family loved Vanderbilt U. Vandy really knows how to host. Nashville is on my list for potential cities to live in. Clean, smaller then Atlanta (less traffic, etc.), and I've never seen so many runners! I thought Atlanta had a lot but Nashville is filled with people running for fun. And as you know from my dog bite post, I run also.

March 23rd is the decision date. Keeping my fingers crossed and my prayers current.

p.s. I did not get to experience any of the music scene. My primary mission was my daughter and Vanderbilt so I stayed focused on that. I did NOT buy any guitars either!

p.p.s I did manage to read Bob Taylor's book (Guitar Lessons: A Life's Journey Turning Passion into Business) during the trip. A very good book. I can't stop thinking about it.  I may put a few words together regarding the book.
dj

Tootsies is a must. Any body who is any body in country music has been there. It really is nirvarna.
Best of luck to your daughter
Doug44 Australia

22 (edited by naolslager 2012-03-30 03:48:15)

Update.
No Vanderbilt in the foreseeable future. My daughter's choices are the University of Georgia and the Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech). Big rivals they are and we are Tech family but we will support her whichever she chooses.

Thanks to all for your kind words, hopes, and prayers.
dj

p.s. And I had my sights set on a visit to Gruhn's to check out one of their Custom 0000-15Ms. Oh well, i don't have the cash right now anyway.

My father was a Pennsylvania boy - northern Pennsylvania - and he was stationed in Georgia.  He did not have an enjoyable stay in the state.  When I was looking at colleges, Georgia Tech was on the short list.  My Dad said, "I'm not telling you that you aren't allowed to go to any school that will take you, but I'll tell you this.  I'm never going back to Georgia."  I've been there a couple times on my own and it looks like a pretty nice place to be.  Especially off the western side. 

Good luck to naoslager jr. in whatever her life brings. 

- Zurf

Zurf, my dad doesn't care too much for Georgia either... but that's a matter of politics and unions.

Best wishes to your daughter for certain DJ. Has she checked into Fredonia's School of Music at all?  I never did a lot of research into music schools, because my parents insisted I be a Doctor (and while I was ready to go into veterinary school, I decided to be stupid and get married instead, that was hubster #1)... but Fredonia here in NY, was a very saught after school by many of my friends who were actually planning on doing THEIR thing and not listening to their parents.  wink

I am biased as I was transplanted to Georgia (from Ohio) when I was three. I'm somewhat older than that now. I never considered living anywhere else but about ten years ago my job put me on the road and since I've been many places both inside and outside the U.S.A. I now have a different perspective and am seriously considering alternatives when both kids are out of the house. My wife does not like Georgia.

I live in suburbia about 30 miles north of Atlanta. I am near mountains, a lake, and a few rivers. I can be at the Atlantic Ocean in 4.5 hours and the Gulf in about 6. There are many stupid people (and lousy) drivers in the Metro Atlanta area. I will move to distance myself from both. Hopefully I am not one of them or I will have escaped nothing.