1 (edited by Sonnya 2012-02-19 22:15:28)

Topic: Guitar picks

I have been playing around with different picks and just discovered each produces a different sound.  I don't know why I find that strange, but now I'm on the search for the perfect pick for me.
  I play a cedar solid wood top, dreadnaught, actually I have two with cedar tops, and both seem really loud.  I have tried to play soft but loose the feeling, doesn't seem natural.  I tried a rubber lick I play Ukulele with on nylon strings.  That pick really toned down the sound coming from the guitar, but the feel is not what I want.  It makes me slow down, like drags off the string in a pulling motion.  This is good in some ways as I can think about chords and strums and my voice is actualy louder than the guitar sound.  I need help finding a good pick.  I have some Palm wood picks ordered off e-bay, I'm hoping.  Need some advise, help!

! Corinthians 15:1-4

Re: Guitar picks

I am not an authority on picks, but through the years I have tried a lot of them.  I now use Jazz picks, kind of medium hardness, not too floppy.  Once I started using them, since they are a much smaller pick than average, I have found that I can't hold a regular pick because their larger size feel like I am using a fan blade.  The heavier the pick, the harder the sound from them.  Too light and floppy picks sound tinny.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Sonnya - you should follow and sign op for the Picks Around the World package - there are (or at least were) several dozen different types and styles of picks to try-out.

PATW Thread:

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic. … 21#p123821

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

After forty plus years playing mostly rock, I like nylon picks because the cross hatch on the top gives a bit more grip - especially with fingers that may be moist after hoisting a cold beer. Nylon picks wear down evenly and rarely crack and break on the end like plastic ones do.
Like you, Sonnya, I play a dreadnought with a cedar top that can be quite loud. A slim nylon pick gives me better control over volume dynamics - so I can play loud and soft and not have to sing so loudly.
A thicker nylon pick will yield some natural distortion from my old Yamaha if I pound hard on it as I often do.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Jup... Jim Dunlop Nylons all the way... both on my Sigma / Martin copy and the electrics...

Cheers,

Tom

Herco flex 50. After breaking fender picks I was turned on to these back in 1983. Have been using only these since.They have never broken and they stay in place. At 50 cents each they are worth it when you figure how long they last.They also come in different thicknesses too.I prefer the 50`s. The jim dunlops are a good quality pick too. I just never found a gauge I liked. I cheap out on strings but I use the same picks all the time

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

As you can see Sonny, picking the right pick is about the same as picking the right guitar. Everyone has a diff fav and lots of us use more than one. I say play everything you can get your hands on and find out what fits you. Maybe order some sample packs. I have some cheapo pearloids from Musicians friend, Wedgie sample pack, Clayton sample pack, a couple wood ones, a stainless steel one, acrylic, plastic, nylon, tortex, ultem, acetal, rubber.... that's what I have in my pick tin. So there are lots of varieties to choose from. Then there is thickness to think about also. I personally like the Clayton Spike in .72. They are cut a little sharper than a normal pick. Made of ultem.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the "right" one tho.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Finger pick.  Use your nails. 

Also, try thin picks.  Fender makes some that are thin enough that I bend them around my thumb with what I consider to be normal pressure. 

I hope you find something that you like. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

My buddy that got me started with guitar makes his own picks.  He cuts them out of Crisco can lids and puts a wrap of duct tape around where he grips.  He also holds his pick with a 3-finger grip that it curls between his fingers and thumb.  I have a few I made and use them along with "store-bought" picks depending on the music I'm playing.

Keeping It Fun, Dean
'91 Epiphone PR350E
'11 Taylor GC3
'15 Taylor GS Mini/Mahogany

I use 1 mil tortex or 1+ mil nylon. I find the grip awesome and the sound (particularly from the nylon) is quite warm.

11 (edited by AccoustikNoyz 2012-02-20 21:23:04)

I use Brain Picks and whenever I tried other brands always come back.  Try the Purple (.60mm) though I use the Red which is a little thicker.  I think the Purple will be easy to hold lightly and soften up the strum.

The Snarling Dogs Brain Picks feature a gritty grip surface to prevent slipping and memory tips for accurate picking. One dozen picks in a reusable tin. Available in the following gauges/colors:.53mm/green.60mm/purple.73mm/red.88mm/black1.00mm/grey1.14mm/orange

I've used those. They sound awesome.

AccoustikNoyz wrote:

The Snarling Dogs Brain Picks feature a gritty grip surface to prevent slipping and memory tips for accurate picking. One dozen picks in a reusable tin. Available in the following gauges/colors:.53mm/green.60mm/purple.73mm/red.88mm/black1.00mm/grey1.14mm/orange

Never heard of "The Snarling Dogs Brain Picks" in all my life.
With a name like that they gotta be good.
Research begins immediamente!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=snarling+d … amp;sk=AS5

They have a crosshatch top and appear to be made of nylon.

I can get PURPLE ones at a reasonable price.
Gonna try some. Thank you AccoustikNoyz.
toots

They are a bit slick if your hands get sweaty. Other than that I love 'em.

Dunlops - nylon, lighter guages are my pick of choice.
Mostly 'cos they're cheap. I have about 100 or so in stock at any given time.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

17 (edited by naolslager 2012-02-21 12:10:21)

Wedgie 0.5mm. They have a divot for the thumb and are cross-hatched. One could play while riding on a space shuttle during liftoff and not drop the pick!

Initially I played with the thinnest picks I could find but now that my right hand technique has developed some I can use heavier pick and make a LOT more noise.

I've considered buying a pick punch to make my own picks out of credit cards, etc.

Picks are as debatable as guitar woods, string brands, etc. I suppose that's half the fun. The other half is buying/selling, and the third half is actually playing the instrument.

naolslager wrote:

now that my right hand technique has developed some I can use heavier pick and make a LOT more noise.

That's what I like to hear.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:
naolslager wrote:

now that my right hand technique has developed some I can use heavier pick and make a LOT more noise.

Isn't that what amps are for??????

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I started off using some orange Dunlops recommended by "the guy" at Guitar Center. One day I came upon a large, white, triangular pick (On the floor of an airport!), picked it up and tried it on my acoustic when I got home. I loved it. Turned out to be a Clayton Acetal rounded triangular pick. I bought some and use them exclusively now.

For some reason I can "find" the strings better with them than a regular pick and they produce a better sound than the Dunlops.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Clayton-Ace … 1123535.gc

Triangular picks are nice because you have three playing tips. It doesn't matter which way you pick it up. You have two more tips if one breaks.

Have any of you ever heard of a shark fin pick? I got one time and thought it was pretty cool. They also have this cool pick called a jellyfish pick that is actully made from guitar strings and they sound really cool. My main pick name brand that I like is called " Everly star picks" They have a  hole in the center and have great grip. They come in different thickness so you could probly find what works for you. I do have a few fender picks too and there fairly good.

Without music life would be a journey through a desert.

I Cor 14:15

zguitar wrote:
Zurf wrote:
naolslager wrote:

Isn't that what amps are for??????

My favorite places to play haven't got any juice for amps.  I've got an electric here that hasn't been plugged in since I got it set up a couple years ago.   I just keep it tuned up in case all of a sudden I think I'm Eric Clapton. 

- Zurf