Topic: First Rock'n Roll Song You Can Remember Hearing Back In The Day

"Ain't That A Shame" by Fats Domino was the first I remember and everybody KNEW that was a kickin' tune. It really stood out from the music of the day.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Re: First Rock'n Roll Song You Can Remember Hearing Back In The Day

Louie Louie- the Kingsmen

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Because I want to make Toots feel old, the oldest rock song I can remember listening to was "Crocodile Rock."  I can recall sitting my cousin's bedroom with the record player when he put the 45 on.  My sister had brought the 45 along to my uncle's house, so I must have heard it before then, but I don't recall having heard it until all us cousins were cramped up in Randy's room.  After hearing it, Randy made my sister play it again and at the line "the biggest kick I ever got" he interjected "was from my mother!" 

Now, Randy was a big, big fellow who spent two years as first string linebacker of an undefeated (both seasons) team.  His mother, my Aunt Rose, was a petite country gal best known for her pleasant demeanor and extraordinary skill at pie-making.  Aaaaaaand.  He wasn't lying. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I Want to Hold Your Hand-The Beatles

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

I was born in '64, and my folks were a bit older than the "early rock" era. Dad was a Sinatra  / Dean Martin / Harry Belafonte fan, Mom was more of a Folk fan - Donovan, Kingston Trio type stuff. By Mom's younger sister, My Aunt Martha (sounds like Matha with a Long Island accent) was a true hippie. Beatles posters all over the room, even drove a hippified bug convertible.  So I'd say, vists with Aunt Matha was probably my first Rock'n Roll experiences. Definitely tons of Beatles, but I also remember some beach Boys, Buddy Holly and some Hermin's Hermits from her box of 45s that she would play for us in her room.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I seem too remember it being elvis on the ed sullivan show,do not remember the song.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Know idea why but Turn, Turn, Turn comes to my mind as one of the first I remember.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LSTc-5Fn_Y

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Born in '65. Mom and Dad did not listen to rock and roll but my 14 year old uncle did. The first song I remember is CSNY's, Suite: Judy Blue Eyes. I still love that song.

Buddy Holly's "That Will Be The Day".

Just checked the date of that, released in 1957, I would have been 10, but does not seem that long ago. smile

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hippy hippy shake by Swinging Blue Jeans. The radio was on daily when I was a young lad.

badeye    cool

one caper after another

Probably not my first rock song but my first FAVORITE song was CCR's "Bad Moon Risin'" circa 1969. I was six.

Bill Haley and the Comets    Rock around the clock.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

yes I also remember this I believe it was the first R&R song that inspired the genre Carl Perkins also comes to mind with the rockabilly style smile

deadstring wrote:

Bill Haley and the Comets    Rock around the clock.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I really can't think of any songs for some reason, but I do know I remember Fats Domino, Buddy Holly and Jerry Lee Lewis.  They got my feet twitching.  Come to think of it, the first song I remember is Whole Lotta Shakin Goin On.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Maybelline, by the first king of rock, Chuck Berry.
That song still totally kicks ass!

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Beatles or the Strolling Bones, can't recall the first one in particular though. Our house was full of music (still is) but the ould man was a staunch Trad musician and would give us a belt o' the banjo if he caught us listening to pirate radio on the house radio. I think playing music nowadays is less appealing to kids because they have so many other things to occupy their minds. They regard music as a route to instant fame and wealth without talent thanks to the telly programmes that prevail(in Ireland and the uk anyhow).

Dad played his records and his guitar for us all the time, but I have a very fond memory of American Pie on the radio.  Dad bought a new truck (used - and dubbed "the old grey mare") and I got to ride home with him from the lot in it.  First, he drove over the curb off the car lot, which of course was super cool.  As we pulled into the driveway American Pie came on the radio and he cranked it up, parked the Grey Mare, and shut her off with the radio still going.  Dad told me this was one of the longest songs on the radio.  We sat right there until the song was over, and of course Dad was singing it the whole time.  I know all the words, and I always smile and think of that day when I hear it!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

The first Rock & Roll music that influenced me was the singing of Little Richard and the piano playing of Jerry Lee Lewis. Other than that,I acquired a collection of old Blues singers whose music was to become famous when Brit Pop can to the forefront.

I remember being blown away by Led Zep's whole lotta love in the late sixties. Wasn't the first Rock I'd heard but it was the first one to make a lasting impression on me. Still brings back a lot of good memories..
ark

Welcome to Chordie Inish!  I look forward to reading your contributions. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

"Hard Headed Woman" by Elvis Presley

Give everything but up.

Wow, this thread has got me digging into the old memory banks.  Back in the 50's my Uncle Mel owned a tavern along US 23 in southern Ohio.  This was the route used by Kentuckians and other Hillbillys looking for work in the steel mills and factories in northern Ohio.  In 1955 Uncle Mel spent a month in the hospital.  My dad, a construction worker who was temporarily out of work, offered to help out my aunt by bar-tending the morning shift.  He would take me along (5 years old - we didn't have kindergarten in our school district) as there usually wasn't much business until about 4pm when guys got off work.  The juke -box was always playing and I was always listening. Most of the music was country - Red Foley, Marty Robbins, the "Hanks" (Williams, Snow and Thompson), but a few 45's with the "new" music.  I remember Pat Boone singing "Ain't That a Shame" and someone whose name I can't remember singing "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" (Davy was big-time back then - I had a coonskin cap and flintlock pistol that were my favorite toys and often wore them in the bar.) 

The "rock" song that I still vividly remember however was "Rock Around the Clock" by Bill Haley and the Comets.

How can I remember all that but can't recall when I had my last dentist visit?

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

mekidsmom wrote:

American Pie came on the radio and he cranked it up, parked the Grey Mare, and shut her off with the radio still going.  Dad told me this was one of the longest songs on the radio.  We sat right there until the song was over, and of course Dad was singing it the whole time.  I know all the words, and I always smile and think of that day when I hear it!

I played that song at a Mobile. Alabama bar gig when it first came out. At one time I had all three pages of lyrics memorized.
If we ever get to jam together, we need to do "American Pie".

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Dirty Ed wrote:

I remember Pat Boone singing "Ain't That a Shame" and someone whose name I can't remember singing "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" (Davy was big-time back then - I had a coonskin cap and flintlock pistol that were my favorite toys and often wore them in the bar.) 

DE

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAVN_n0PljQ

Sung by: Fess Parker and Buddy Ebsen (Jed Clampett) in 1955

I remember this one well myself.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:
Dirty Ed wrote:

I remember Pat Boone singing "Ain't That a Shame" and someone whose name I can't remember singing "The Ballad of Davy Crockett" (Davy was big-time back then - I had a coonskin cap and flintlock pistol that were my favorite toys and often wore them in the bar.) 

DE

Here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAVN_n0PljQ

Sung by: Fess Parker and Buddy Ebsen (Jed Clampett) in 1955

I remember this one well myself.

Roger

Thanks Roger.  I listened to the clip but that sounded like the song sung on the Disney Series.  The one I remember was different so I did some research. The original was by Fess Parker & Buddy Ebsen but I'm guessing the Bill Hayes version is what I heard playing on the jukebox.  Seems a lot of songs were covered by other artists and got air time right along with the originals.  Pat Boone's "white audience" version of "Ain't that a Shame" would be another example.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs