Topic: Martin OOO-CXE ?

I saw an ad on craigslist that has me interested. It`s for a Martin OOO-CXE composite guitar for 250.00.  I always go by the theory that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. A martin anything(besides a back packer) for 250.00 sounds too good to be true. Does anybody out there have any experience with one of these. I have bought some bad guitars before because they were major brands ( fender, gretsch), and I don`t want to make the same mistake 3 times. I am sure martin has made a few lemons in their time.I`m wondering if this is one of them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: Martin OOO-CXE ?

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

I saw an ad on craigslist that has me interested. It`s for a Martin OOO-CXE composite guitar for 250.00.  I always go by the theory that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. A martin anything(besides a back packer) for 250.00 sounds too good to be true. Does anybody out there have any experience with one of these. I have bought some bad guitars before because they were major brands ( fender, gretsch), and I don`t want to make the same mistake 3 times. I am sure martin has made a few lemons in their time.I`m wondering if this is one of them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

That is less than half of  what they sell for around here. I considered one because most of the reviews I could find were favorable but I opted for my copy.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

3 (edited by naolslager 2012-02-10 13:57:24)

J3,
A you probably know this is a 000 body in the Martin X series. It will have a solid top with HPL back/sides and a Stratabond neck. It will be made in Mexico. Now none of this is necessarily a show-stopper but this is an entry-level Martin. The ones I've played sounded pretty good and $250 is a good price assuming it hasn't been abused. I would not consider this model because I don't like cut-aways and I don't like (or need) electronics.

Caveat emptor: play before you buy.
dj

4 (edited by Buzzwagon 2012-02-10 19:04:55)

Joey try a stratabond neck before you buy. I had my heart set on a Martin but couldn't justify the £'000's it was to cost so I thought I'd go for their lower end stuff but I REALLY didn't like the stratabond neck, it just felt rough to me, (that was when I bought my Guild instead).

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Here is where I show my age or stupidity. What is a stratabond neck? Is it made of wood or some space age material?.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

It is made of several pieces of wood glued together under great pressure. After it is cured the neck is cut from this material as I understand it. It makes for a very strong neck and I think the finished appearance is attractive and unique. Many don't like it.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Stratabond = laminated wood. Check out Martin's website for more information.
pros: durable, resistant to humidity changes, etc, can be nice-looking
cons: not "traditional", heavy (changing the balance of the guitar), can be unsightly (see non-traditional)

I don't mind them. I do shy away from new X series only because for the price there are many options and many sport a "traditional" one-piece mahogany neck. I cannot hear a difference but it is traditional and to get this feature on a martin you will pay $1,000+ (new).

@ $250, this one warrants checking out if you are cut-away/electronics fan.
dj

Buzzwagon wrote:

Joey try a stratabond neck before you buy. I had my heart set on a Martin but couldn't justify the £'000's it was to cost so I thought I'd go for their lower end stuff but I REALLY didn't like the stratabond neck, it just felt rough to me, (that was when I bought my Guild instead).

Jerry

I decided not to buy it.Today I took my daughter to Guitar center to get a sampling amp. As always we went in the acoustic room and the martin 000-cxe was right there.As soon as I picked it up, the neck felt so awful I didnt even try to play it. It wasn`t smooth at all. My best description would be a raincoat without a smooth texture. I couldn`t tell about the sound or action because I didnt even attempt to play it. It was that bad. I`m just glad I didn`t waste the gas to go look at the one in the Boston area. That would have got me mad. I see what you mean about the stratabond neck.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

I like the Stratabond neck, but it's good that you found out that you don't before spending the gas and time. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You know necks can be sanded and buffed... Just sayin' smile I've tried one too and didn't like it for tonal reasons, plus I've never really liked martin's playability... But my point is to keep in mind that small things like a rough or satin finished neck can easily be fixed if the price is right and the tone worth it. smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I know that the neck can be sanded and buffed.After picking it up I dont ever want to touch another one. The way it felt made my skin crawl. Kind of like a noise someone doesn`t like(scratching a chalkboard,knife screaching on a plate, things like that). For that reason I wouldnt even attempt to play it.I bought a rain slicker by mail once,and it had that same feeling to it.It still sits in my closet.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

I like the stratobond neck on the two Little Martins I've owned. But I don't own them anymore. On a larger guitar it seemed to make the guitar "top heavy". But this wasn't a big deal for me and I rather liked the appearance even though it is unconventional. I do think the aggregate of HPL back and/or sides AND the neck cause me to look for more conventional guitars in the same price range. Just too many trade-offs to reduce cost. Although they sound good.

I almost bought a DRS1 (all-sapele) but it SCREAMED of cost-saving measures. But, it sounded good and I couldn't hear the difference between is and the D-15M which costs twice as much. So, I'd say they accomplished their goal of delivering the sound at a greatly reduced price but may have sold their soul to do so.