Re: Looking for tips on Refinishing a Strat body

Doug  and dino from all the info I have gleened waxing it is ok if you dont intend to clear coat and the rubbing compound is ok on the final coat not between coats and it should be silicon free if you intend to clear coat.I have one coat of candy apple I applied over the cherry red and it looks great I am letting it dry overnight and then wet sand it and shoot it again I get several ponits of view on the best grit to start with wetsanding some say 1000 or 800 and sand in a circular motion I have several sheets of 1000 and 1500 the 800 grit would make it easier but I'm afraid it would remove to much of the paint any thoughts

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell, I like the color . This is going to be one hot axe.

Joe

103 (edited by Russell_Harding 2012-02-06 16:12:33)

Thaks Tyson these are three photos I finished up this morning with the final coat now I have to hit it with some polishing compound I am very pleased with the results of a lot of hours and care I put into this and would like to thank all Chordians for there helpful hints and suggestions. smile
http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/416792_3263208377827_1195741929_3510849_1570837498_n.jpg

I had to get my mug into the shot lol

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/405434_3263220138121_1195741929_3510855_527600610_n.jpg

one more
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/421817_3263213737961_1195741929_3510851_1132111673_n.jpg

Sharp Russell.  Good work.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You no longer need a mirror to shave with smile.

Nice finish Russ.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Thanks Zurf, and Roger and I dont shave except under my chin but I use a scissors to keep my beard close. thanks for the compliment smile The tuners arrived and I am letting the last coat set for another day so it will be compleatly dry but I can asseble the tuners and put the pickups back in and sodder the lead and ground wires I still have a bit of work on the new neck other then mounting the machine heads I have to drill 4 holes and smooth a few burrs on the fret wire I should have it back together by wednsday or possible tuesday. smile

Hi again Russell,  auto enamels can be worked within a few hours (because of the catalyst) but standard air dry enamels need more time to fully harden (the surface dries trapping the solvents into the earlier coats).  Seems to me that the nitrocellulose lacquer I used on Jeff's guitar required something in the realm of 150 hours prior to any wet sanding or polishing, so try not to be in too much of a hurry and check the hardness of the total finish thickness somewhere like inside the PU recesses.  Like you say if you go through the top layer and get into something gooey beneath, it would not be good (remember the  pick guards?).
My sanding preference is nothing coarser than 800, and you can easily polish out 1200 grit scratches.... go slow and keep it really wet but you might be surprised how quickly 800 cuts when it's new and sharp!
Another thing is that if you have any texture in your finish (orange peel) a lot of it will pull flat as the paint dries the rest of the way and you may not have that much sanding to do after all.

Looking pretty good there!
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug I am useing a  polishing compound made by Turtle wax it works really well then I use a product called Meguires Swirl X this is used after the rubbing compound  easy to use and great results most auto supply shops handle it all the wet sanding was done on previous layers I stripped it with zip strip and used Acetone to clean up and leftover paint in the grain next I hit it wilth 4 coats of primer,6 coats of Krylon cherry red then 4 coats of Testors Candy Apple red I only used a OOOO grit steel wool pad between coats brushing in one direction dry then wet the last coat is still drying for 48 hrs. tomorrow I begin polishing with the polishing compound to get all the "orange skin" smooth then the Swirl X for the final touch thats it,assembly time all the tuners and string trees are mounted on the new neck so it just a matter of putting the pickups and wireing on the pickguard (painted and also drying) and attatching the neck, hardware and stings and let it rip I am making a video of the project video clips and photos smile

Looks good Russell!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

110 (edited by dino48 2012-02-07 02:43:33)

looking good russell!!!,I for one would not sand in circular motions,and I think I would try the different sandpaper grits on a few areas where you would not see mistakes and give these areas a light coat of paint.That will preview what the final outcome will be. It's Almost Christmas, we have all been waiting for the day russ!! One last thougt russell did you ever consider writing your name or something on the guitar or embedding a picture or quote on it somewhere before you do a final shot on it,just a thought!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

111 (edited by zguitar 2012-02-07 03:42:02)

I agree with Doug on the wet sanding. If you have lots of orange peel or if it is heavy then you might have to wet sand it. Compound just wont do it. Is it rubbing compound or polishing compound you're using? Rubbing is more aggressive than polishing. If you're looking for a glass like finish you will probly need to clear coat it to be safe. Like on cars, as long as you get the color on fine then you can put lots of clear on and wet sand it to a mirror finish without worrying about going thru the color.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

dino I started at 6:30 this morning I just finished assebling the hardware and fitting the neck I have at least 2 videos and about 10 photos including the final one it will take time to upload all of this from my camera and convert it process the photos I am dog tired I will try and get a final photo uploaded this evening,i still have to set the string hight and intonation but that can wait till tomorrow dont know about my name on the guitar I am concidering pin stripping and looking at various designs let me gave the name thing some thouht smile

dino48 wrote:

looking good russell!!!,I for one would not sand in circular motions,and I think I would try the different sandpaper grits on a few areas where you would not see mistakes and give these areas a light coat of paint.That will preview what the final outcome will be. It's Almost Christmas, we have all been waiting for the day russ!! One last thougt russell did you ever consider writing your name or something on the guitar or embedding a picture or quote on it somewhere before you do a final shot on it,just a thought!

The rubbing compound with a little water works like spit shining shoes same with the Swirl X I will wait to clear coat it as it is all assembled and I need it to jam with a new band they asked me to play some gigs 70s rock and souther blues so it might be some time till I get around to it as they say the proof is in the pudding so after I upload the last photo judge then smile

zguitar wrote:

I agree with Doug on the wet sanding. If you have lots of orange peel or if it is heavy then you might have to wet sand it. Compound just wont do it. Is it rubbing compound or polishing compound you're using? Rubbing is more aggressive than polishing. If you're looking for a glass like finish you will probly need to clear coat it to be safe. Like on cars, as long as you get the color on fine then you can put lots of clear on and wet sand it to a mirror finish without worrying about going thru the color.

Thank you smile

beamer wrote:

Looks good Russell!

115 (edited by Russell_Harding 2012-02-08 01:59:00)

Ok my fellow Choridians heres a coulple of photos smile

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/405403_3275318880582_1195741929_3515095_891699606_n.jpg

I had to use a old b string my new set was short

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/428716_3275335841006_1195741929_3515102_1446433365_n.jpg

116 (edited by dino48 2012-02-08 02:04:42)

See you painted it now people want you to jam,you can show it off!. maybe you can put a small us flag or a Green bay packers logo on it,thats up too you though Really lookong forward too seeing it! Looks good russell.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino I think it looks clean and hot I had a bit of a tussel with the wiring and pickups the new neck was a lot easier then I though to bolt on but once I drilled into it a half inch it went smooth I will take a little more time with the finish in a few weeks or so no rush I'm happy with the results smile

118 (edited by dino48 2012-02-08 02:34:00)

I think you did a great job russell,considering you had so many good suggestions from all the members,you managed too come out with a top looking paint job. you should give yourself a pat on the back. Myself I think I would have been somewhat confused with all the different ways and tools to do the project.

Very very nice, I tip my hat to you sir.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Great job Russ and I am pleased to see that you have chrome hardware on her, she looks gorgeous.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

looks fantastic. Great job!!!!!

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

It looks great, Russell. You did good, boy!

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Russell, Way Cool. You should be proud of the great job you did. It looks smokin'. The maple fretboard really sets off the candy apple red. I love it. What's your next project ?
  Joe

Confused and frustrated I had a plan and stuck with it its like in chess you have a plan based on positioning your pieces in the opening you must take into concideration your opponants move and his plan and try to impliment yours but keep faithful to it or your only reacting and defensive thanks dino for the nice comments smile

dino48 wrote:

I think you did a great job russell,considering you had so many good suggestions from all the members,you managed too come out with a top looking paint job. you should give yourself a pat on the back. Myself I think I would have been somewhat confused with all the different ways and tools to do the project.

Joe my next project is the clean up the mess lol I am very happy with the outcome thanks I may have to get some more t shirts I cut up a few smile

Tyson7 wrote:

Russell, Way Cool. You should be proud of the great job you did. It looks smokin'. The maple fretboard really sets off the candy apple red. I love it. What's your next project ?
  Joe