Re: Looking for tips on Refinishing a Strat body

no problem with that joey I live alone and if I have company (female) I can think of a few more interesting and pleasureable uses for my time lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

One piece of advice DON`T  let anybody talk to you while you are spraying. Happened to me and I stopped for a second while still spraying and ended up with a run.

That is so true,do not answer the door,unplug or shut off your telephones,I stopped once thinking I needed too answer a ringing telephone and for that few seconds it cost me alot of going back.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

78 (edited by Russell_Harding 2012-02-02 21:48:21)

I have made a expesive choice I am going with all gold hardware bridge,tremelo arm,machine heads,string trees,guitar jack plate and screws for the pickguard and pickups total cost from Amazon with be around $120 but they will look Totally Awesome!!! with the paint job smile

Used my imagination on the upgrades,that should look awesome with the new paint or any color for that matter.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I did have to put all of these on my wish list at Amazon for at least 6 weeks, the holes in the new neck are larger then the ones in my old one and I needed some machine heads so i got a deal on some chrome fender tuners and with shipping it came to $34 I can always sell these to the music store or another musician when I get the other gold ones and my bridge is chrome so I can live with that,I did think about new pickups but my humbuckers really sound sweet and there white which will look nice with my new candy apple pickguard. My guitar may have started out in China but when I finish it will be all American smile

I have a few things on amazons list I want also so I know how that is just the same I think it will look alot better than a stock paint job.

Russell,
   Man the suspense is killing me ! I can't wait to see this thing. Everyday I keep looking to see what's new or some kind of update. I feel like it's christmas and it's not even my guitar.

Joe

Joe I checked with Fed ex and my paint will be delivered today so I can get started at last, and I am making videos of each step along with photos so when its complete I can splice them all together with my TrakAx program along with a soundtrack of one of my compositions and I feelthe same way its like waiting for dinner to finish baking so you can eat lol 

Tyson7 wrote:

Russell,
   Man the suspense is killing me ! I can't wait to see this thing. Everyday I keep looking to see what's new or some kind of update. I feel like it's christmas and it's not even my guitar.

Joe

CRAP!!! the paint arrived it is NOT candy apple red,I test sprayed it next to the color of Testors and it anit even close its more of a clown nose red or fire red not the deep color I painted my pickguard and back plate with this sucks I called the company and they told me to return it and they would credit my account but I have to pay shipping costs it appears I may have to order the 3oz Testors which is what I was useing but nobody has any in my area but I am not throwing in the towel just yet I will scower the yellow pages for hobby shops I may have to drive a few miles to pick it up so be it I shall prevail lol

That is a serious bummer for a Friday afternoon. 

Some things aren't right by definition, and that's not right. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

What does it look like against a black primer? 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf I dont know and dont care I knew if I kept at it would find what I needed and I did! oddly enough it was at Walmart I took the test strip with me and compared it to the available colors and lo and behold Krylon has a cherry red gloss spray paint it is identical to the color from my test strip I even sprayed  a tiny area and let it dry I could not tell the difference and it only cost $3.47 for a 12 oz can so I got two and best of all they also make a clear glaze spray that dose the same as clear coat it was also $3.47 when I got home I sprayed the test strip with a thin layer and let it dry and took a peek its like a mirror I could see my reflection I am going to be busy tomorrow and since this is not a translucent paint I dont need a silver or gold base coat.This is really good information for anyone who is thinking of doing a paint job on there guitar you dont have to spend an arm and a leg to get a quality finish I cant wait to get at it I think I will have it finished before the Fender tuning heads arrive I will keep all posted on my progress happy happy man!   smile smile smile

That stinks that they will not pay the shipping back,after they made the mistake!!,Glad you found an alternate paint. FYI most auto parts stores have a good amount of paints and supplies too use.

Russell_Harding wrote:

Zurf I dont know and dont care I knew if I kept at it would find what I needed and I did! oddly enough it was at Walmart I took the test strip with me and compared it to the available colors and lo and behold Krylon has a cherry red gloss spray paint it is identical to the color from my test strip I even sprayed  a tiny area and let it dry I could not tell the difference and it only cost $3.47 for a 12 oz can so I got two and best of all they also make a clear glaze spray that dose the same as clear coat it was also $3.47 when I got home I sprayed the test strip with a thin layer and let it dry and took a peek its like a mirror I could see my reflection I am going to be busy tomorrow and since this is not a translucent paint I dont need a silver or gold base coat.This is really good information for anyone who is thinking of doing a paint job on there guitar you dont have to spend an arm and a leg to get a quality finish I cant wait to get at it I think I will have it finished before the Fender tuning heads arrive I will keep all posted on my progress happy happy man!   smile smile smile

Dont forget to wet sand and when done,,, the rubbing compound , polish , and wax to protect the finish.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Krylon cherry red was the same color I used on my truck and refrigerator. Buy twice as much. When the can starts to get low,switch to another can. If it starts spitting it will leave spotty marks. With krylon, Is there a need to sand and compound?. I thought it was enamel. I could be wrong since I never used clearcoat.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I use a 000 grit steel wool pad to take the rough surface off by brushing it lightly in one direction then I dip it in a small container of warter and repeat in one direction till it is smooth then wipe with a clean soft cloth and its ready for another coat.I dont think I will need any rubbing compound just multi layers of paint and wet sand each layer,good tip on switching cans joey I got up this morning at 5:45am and dust sprayed the first coat it is drying as I type this and when it drys to the touch I will hit it again till I get a even coat then let it dry and wet sand and repeat at least 5 to 6 times then the clear coats will be applied,I can give a sneek preview later today I want to finish this up(painting and clear coats) today and get started on assembling,soddering, and mounting the neck Amazon has emailed me that the tuners were shipped today. smile

yes dino its not good business and they will get none in the future from me theres an auto store a block away its not to late to still get the candy apple spray thanks for the tip smile

dino48 wrote:

That stinks that they will not pay the shipping back,after they made the mistake!!,Glad you found an alternate paint. FYI most auto parts stores have a good amount of paints and supplies too use.

Hiya Russ,
If your strat turns out like your Chess Board it'll be a beauty. All that wet sanding I hope you don't lose your calluses.
Looking forwards to the pics and new tunes.

Cheers

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Ken nice to hear from you again  hope all is well,I found a very usefull link to a guitar refinishing tutorial and I am getting some really nice results I would recomend anyone wishing to refinish take al look and book mark this site (no ads) there are photos of the progress which I fould very instuctive smile
http://www.tundraman.com/Guitars/Finish/index.php

95 (edited by Russell_Harding 2012-02-05 14:48:11)

I finished up the last coat I still have some wet sanding and a clear coat to apply smile
http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/400165_3251495445011_1195741929_3503112_380121922_n.jpg
another view
http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/422810_3251499125103_1195741929_3503115_438510923_n.jpg

looks good. Can`t wait to see the finished product

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Hi russell could not get on here yesterday,Looking at your plans I do not think I would clearcoat it yet, and no wax for a few months, the paint needs time too cure and it will take awile depending on how many coats you put on. If you do it now you may get the effect you see on cars and trucks that have the peeling paint jobs. The areas that did not cure long enough will eventally push up through all coats to the surface. They have problems with this at the factories as they are on time lines ( automotive ). I may be wrong with the wood application,I think I would talk too the people at the auto shop on monday,are you using enamal or lacquor?

dino I am useing enamal I got lucky today and picked up the last three cans of candy apple from the hobby shop I got the first ones from,they ran out and there truck came in today so I snagged them I am sparying right over the cherry red and since its a darker color and transparent it should look nice I dont think I will apply the clear coat for sometime as you suggested but I am going to use a polishing compound (low grit) for the final sanding and just put some car wax to keep it nice till I decide to clear coat smile

dino48 wrote:

Hi russell could not get on here yesterday,Looking at your plans I do not think I would clearcoat it yet, and no wax for a few months, the paint needs time too cure and it will take awile depending on how many coats you put on. If you do it now you may get the effect you see on cars and trucks that have the peeling paint jobs. The areas that did not cure long enough will eventally push up through all coats to the surface. They have problems with this at the factories as they are on time lines ( automotive ). I may be wrong with the wood application,I think I would talk too the people at the auto shop on monday,are you using enamal or lacquor?

Hi russell,I am notsure about the polishing compound,I am sure about the car wax,I was told that a pro paint and body man,the polishing compound may do the same.To be on the safe side if you can at this point talk to the guys at the body shop. I may be wrong as I am not that well expierinced with wood.

Hi Russell,  Just managed to get back on the net (at least until the wind changes direction).... just a thought, if you wax it and later decide to apply a clear coat, it'll be a bloody chore to get all the wax off well enough to not have problems with the clear.  Best to do all the finishing in the first go rather than fight it later.

Just my $.02.

Best Regards from the edge of Nowhere, Arid-zona!

Doug.... Looking Good So Far Russ!!

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare