Re: Looking for tips on Refinishing a Strat body

thats what the guy at the auto body shop said but I am getting the results I want from the white primer and I already have one coat of candy apple on

zguitar wrote:

Just found this Russ, what to use under Candy Apple Red.

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=46545

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell,ever wonder were candy apple red was started at,I wonder if the candie apple's we get at fairs carnivals etc. were first. This could be another which came first like the chicken or the egg.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino it must have been before 1960 because I had a new 63 Telecaster painted the year I got it I know some of the hot rods were candy apple interesting question smile 

dino48 wrote:

Russell,ever wonder were candy apple red was started at,I wonder if the candie apple's we get at fairs carnivals etc. were first. This could be another which came first like the chicken or the egg.

the color has been around for a long time,I would almost bet it was on apples first and someone copied it to paint. Hey I guess we answered the which one was first as it is called "candy apple", I remember alot of street rods with the color and you can still see one now and then.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

55 (edited by Russell_Harding 2012-01-29 12:54:51)

A little update on my progress I am still waiting for the paint I should get it sometime around the 2nd or 3rd of February.After applying one coat I noticed imperfections in the surface that will have to be removed before I can proceed so unfortunatly I will have to remove areas to be re sanded I found that Acetone wiill safely and quickly remove what I need I also picked up a palm sander from Walmart a Black and Decker Mouse and I can sand the areas evenly and re-spray I did make one concession I am useing a silver metalic primer as a base coat for the candy apple red and plan on applying at least 5 coats of candy apple wet sanding between coats once it drys I am letting the pros at he body shop shoot it with the clear coats no sense in messing up a lot of work and all of my steps are being documented with photos so if anyone else wishes to do a similar project it may be of help,the neck should arrive Monday by ups and once the paint gets here it wont take long to finish up. smile

I hope all goes well with it russell,I am really looking forward to seeing it.

I spent much of the whole day stripping all the paint off with zip strip I had to wear a mask with canasters and of course rubber gloves and eye protection the Acetone came in handy to clean up all the remainiing paint and then sanding it was a whole lot easier with the palm sander the wood is really smooth and tomorrow I can redo the primer I am starting with a basic gray primer made by Color Decor I will use the metalic silver on the last two coats before applying the candy apple red this should go a lot smoother. smile

You are going too be a pro by the time you are done,the last car I painted took me 10 months to prep for painting,came out fantastic.Made me feel real good when people came over and asked who painted it and could they get thiers done.

dino I hope my fiddle turns out as well,I think I could have skipped all the paint removal and just hit it with a few coats of primer and then the candy apple red but I'm not sure it would have turnned out ok. I would almost like to leave it natural but the wood is a compoasite of several kinds of wood if it were one that would be differen't ")

dino48 wrote:

You are going too be a pro by the time you are done,the last car I painted took me 10 months to prep for painting,came out fantastic.Made me feel real good when people came over and asked who painted it and could they get thiers done.

dino48 wrote:

Dino, I once painted a 1979 f-150 with 60 cans of krylon. Before that I painted a Kelvinator refrigerator red. (the exact model rick`s restorations did on tv). After that I would paint vending machines at a vending company I worked for. All the autobody principles work for vending machines and large appliances.  I learned the art of spray painting on the f-150. I may try a guitar myself when I see the finished product Russell has

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

oh oh the pressures on, 60 cans of Krylon? how long did it take? smile

One whole day. Then another to fix stripes and make the color even all over. I amazed everyone that I actually did it

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

joey you must have the paitence of a saint I myself dont think I will undertake another restoration at least on any guitars made in the far east the wood is auful to say the least I believe it was gathered from old out houses born on the backs of slaves and then they made guitars out of it,my apartment reeks of primer its 27 degrees outside and I have the door open how we suffer for our art lol one more coat of silver and its ready for the main color but the new neck arrived I will have to drill the holes so when I take the masking tape off I am fitting the neck to the body but first I will put the old one on and  dip a coat hanger in some paint and stick it thru the holes to mark where I should drill I can get the depth of the holes the same way by sticking the thin straight hanger into the bottom of the old neck and marking how deep it is other then that the new one is identical.while I am waiting for the new paint I polished up the chrome bridge and painted the pickguard,backplate and neck plate so everything will go a lot smoother all thats left is to reassemble and sodder the lead and ground wilres. smile

Well at least you are getting close to being done russell,if it comes out not looking to good you might consider taking it too the auto shop and have them do it for $50.00. I have been told in the past candy apple is hard too do.the temratures you are working in do not help at all as paint continues to cure and the colder it is the longer it takes.JJJ thats amazing 60 cans,sounds expensive.I love the black Ford F100 that Rick owns on that show,I wish I could afford too buy one like it.

Russell an afterthought you may be able to put some paper or cotton,Qtips? in some of the holes and put a little vasaline petrolium jelly on them,this has the same effect as tape.

60 cans 2.00 to 2.50 per can back in 1995. I thought 10 would be more than enough. I went out to 2 other stores later that day buying krylon. The body work took 2 months. It started off as sanding a scratch, then I decided I wanted a red truck

Enjoy Every Sandwich

67 (edited by Russell_Harding 2012-01-31 12:48:32)

All the holes were masked one less hassle to worry about I finished with the primer all the sparying wias done in my bathroom in the shower with a drop cloth and exhaust fan so the temps were above 60 the paint was shipped this morning so it should be here in a few days and if I dont do a good job its off the the auto body shop but I'm optimistic and determined and if I ever do this again perhaps with my old bass I am going to leave the paint on and hit it with several coats of primer and see how that turns out but I will wait till late spring and do it outside and while I'm waiting for the paint I have to clean the carpets,walls and furnature of wood dust. smile

You will get better results in the spring and have too do alot less cleanup

The temps were over 60 today!! most unusual but very windy it will be in the 40's thru the first week in February at this time last year we had a blizzard with temps in the single digits crazy weather if it stays in the 40's when the paint arrives I may just do it outside on my patio. smile

Russ that is a huge swing in temprature unreal!!Sounds like the odd weather they get in Texas.

The ups and downs of my project, yesterday the section I was priming fell on the the floor and struck the corner of a small table I had some parts I had primed bummer! I had to strip the primer off and use a wood filler to patch the marks and resand,reprime to get it back to what I had I finished up an hour ago all thats left to do is lite sand with some ooo grit steel wool and water wipe with a tack cloth and its ready for the Candy apple glad I dont do this for a living but I have a great deal of respect for those who do. smile

The darn thing better sound fantastic after all this work.  I hope you don't decide after all this that you really wanted candy apple red metallic flake instead of just plain candy apple red...

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I think it will be looking good soon,when you are done you will be proud. I made mistakes on the cars I have painted also and it comes with the territory.

Ima ready to paint color!! come on Fed ex get here with my stuff! I noticed on the new neck the frets were a bit to sharp on the edges I filed them down smooth so they wont be cutting my hand when I move up and down the fretboard I think 3 10 oz cans should be more then enough to get 5 to 6 coats then comes the clear coat apoxy but I am getting help on that I hope otherwise I am prepared to do that also smile

One piece of advice DON`T  let anybody talk to you while you are spraying. Happened to me and I stopped for a second while still spraying and ended up with a run.

Enjoy Every Sandwich