Re: Looking for tips on Refinishing a Strat body

50.00 doesnt seem all that bad. I paid 70.00 to have a steel body guitar detailed

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I have run into a snag with the paint removal this paint is from another planet far beyond the means of mortal men I have tried three paint removal products including citristrip nada I finished hand sanding the front and started on the back hopefully I will finish up tomorrow sometime my kingdom for a good palm sander. sad

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Russell_Harding wrote:

I have run into a snag with the paint removal this paint is from another planet far beyond the means of mortal men I have tried three paint removal products including citristrip nada I finished hand sanding the front and started on the back hopefully I will finish up tomorrow sometime my kingdom for a good palm sander. sad

Have you tried aircraft paint remover? citristrip is crap.  After that its up to 80grit and orbital. then work up to at least 120.  How are the inner radiuses doing? They are the hard ones to get preped.

I would definatly go with the offer from the paint guy.  Just be sure to use a compatable primer to the candy Coat.  A metalic silver would be a great base if you want a slight speckle under the top coat.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Russell thats a good price for a body shop ,if it is only $50.00.they can shoot it all over and do so at the right time,and also do the clear coates in the correct temps and flash times. I do seem too recall that candy apple needs the correct base coat. all these are things too take into consider as you live in an area where the temps are on the cold side.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

sometimes you have to follow your hunches these two photos show the front side of my strat fully sanded and I went with a test painting on a piece of wood I sprayed only one coat of the white Krylon let it dry for 2 hrs and sprayed only one coat of the candy apple it looks fantastic!  see for yourself  it convinced me to do the job myself as originally planned. smile
just click on a photo to see a larger view.
https://picasaweb.google.com/rharding0/ … OWqg8mcFA#

i'm saving the radiuses for last I will finish the back and then get started on the hard parts and start spraying  the first coat of primer by tomorrow afternoon I jotted down your sand grit specs thanks smile

beamer wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Have you tried aircraft paint remover? citristrip is crap.  After that its up to 80grit and orbital. then work up to at least 120.  How are the inner radiuses doing? They are the hard ones to get preped.

I would definatly go with the offer from the paint guy.  Just be sure to use a compatable primer to the candy Coat.  A metalic silver would be a great base if you want a slight speckle under the top coat.

dino I can use the 50 bucks toward buying the maple fretboard neck and as far as the candy apple needing a correct base coat thats not written in stone I can handle the clear coats and wet sanding myself and the temps are not an issue as I dont play outside in winter lol but I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions smile

dino48 wrote:

Russell thats a good price for a body shop ,if it is only $50.00.they can shoot it all over and do so at the right time,and also do the clear coates in the correct temps and flash times. I do seem too recall that candy apple needs the correct base coat. all these are things too take into consider as you live in an area where the temps are on the cold side.

Hi russ,I looked but could not tell as I am still using this old computer software. Glad too see you are practising and getting it correct on a test area. Sounds like you got the painters bug,I got it after I messed with some old bicyle's that came out looking great after trial and error,after that I did some motorcycle's then I went on too do cars. It is very satisfiing too see your finished product. I still love too paint metal things.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino I think the painting bug will go as soon as I finish this guitar and start picikin it I am saving all the steps on photos when its finished I am going to use my video editing program TrakAx pc (picture in picture) its the best 24 bucks I have spent in a while and assemble all the photos of the steps in the process with some oriiginal music backing but I want to make sure the guitar looks and plays great this is something I have been thinking about for a long time and never did anything till now I think my chess studies kind of side tracked me a bit smile

It looks like you will be finished soon,hope we get too see the finished product. It looks like you have learned alot about painting,and even a temporary one time project is a thrill. You will feel it when someone complaments you on the finish.

36 (edited by beamer 2012-02-01 22:33:40)

Russ. if you want a great candy red, check out the Duplicolor metalcast colors.

Imentioned the silver as a base cause I painted my police bike that way I used ultra silver metalic as a base then coated it with red anodized metalcast and then the clear coat. wet sanded between every coat and rubbing compound, polish and wax.

i can e-mail you a pic of the color if your interested.  here is the metalcast link. 
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalCast/

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

Just had an idea for teh radious, buy the sanding sponge.  You can get them at wall mart or the hardware store.  they will contour around  and not take off the original shape.  Probably the best option.  I would just get it blended in with the top and bottom, then as long as you have scuffed the existing paint, you can just shoot over it.

OH remember lots of thin coats are better and less chance of runs.  first coat should be a dust coat then aapply a few thin coats.,,,WET SAND with 1000 grit, wipe down with tack cloth and do it till desired finish.

38 (edited by Russell_Harding 2012-01-25 14:02:31)

did you see the color I got with the Testors product earlier ?I put a link to my picasa web site this is what I want if I can get this color using only a white satin primer why should I use silver? I have a gmail account my address is rharding0@gmail.com when I have time later I will send you a message we also could chat in gmail smile

beamer wrote:

Russ. if you want a great candy red, check out the Duplicolor metalcast colors.

Imentioned the silver as a base cause I painted my police bike that way I used ultra silver metalic as a base then coated it with red anodized metalcast and then the clear coat. wet sanded between every coat and rubbing compound, polish and wax.

i can e-mail you a pic of the color if your interested.  here is the metalcast link. 
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/metalCast/

(OH and I need reg e-mail so I can put an attacment in. you can e-mail me at beamerstrumpet@gmail.com and ill hit reply and send)

sanding sponge sound like a winner I removed all the original paint down to the wood and primed it I am still working on the primer coats,thanks good tips on spraying smile

beamer wrote:

Just had an idea for teh radious, buy the sanding sponge.  You can get them at wall mart or the hardware store.  they will contour around  and not take off the original shape.  Probably the best option.  I would just get it blended in with the top and bottom, then as long as you have scuffed the existing paint, you can just shoot over it.

OH remember lots of thin coats are better and less chance of runs.  first coat should be a dust coat then aapply a few thin coats.,,,WET SAND with 1000 grit, wipe down with tack cloth and do it till desired finish.

beamer this is the color I am going with all I did was use a Krylon white satin spray on this test strip 1 coat and 1 coat of the Testors candy apple of course I will be useing several of each when I paint the guitar just click on the photos to enlarge smile
https://picasaweb.google.com/rharding0/ … OWqg8mcFA#

41 (edited by dino48 2012-01-25 19:18:16)

I have never had much luck with the sanding sponge's,I have always used a lower grade of sandpaper. (grade #400 or #600). but that was with metal automotive applications.

I was at walmart today to pickup another can of white paint I found out that Krylon makes a white primer and to my surprise after I applied one coat it is very forgiving of little scratches and boo boo's I will finsish priming today and look forward to laying on the first coat of candy apple smile

On the back of the February Car and Driver there is an ad for Newport red cigarettes.There is a partial shot of a strat painted a color similar to what you want.Plua an amp painted a red krinkle color. You may want to check it out.I`m sure it is on other magazines as well

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I would like to see that maybe I can google it up but if anyone has a link to the photo it would be great smile

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

On the back of the February Car and Driver there is an ad for Newport red cigarettes.There is a partial shot of a strat painted a color similar to what you want.Plua an amp painted a red krinkle color. You may want to check it out.I`m sure it is on other magazines as well

45 (edited by Russell_Harding 2012-01-27 01:44:06)

My maple fretboard neck was shipped from musicians friend today I paid $89 the shipping was free so it will get to me in a few days I was having a tough time getting some more candy apple none of the hobby stores in my area had any so I picked up three 10 oz spray cans for $19 includes shipping online at Create for Less they have all kinds of hobby paint and a lot more.I went to the auto body shop and asked what it would cost to clear coat with apoxy after I finish painting the cost would be $50 and the pin stripping is another $35 extra I started to bail and he said when I finish painting to bring the body and other parts(pickguard,back plate and neck plate) and because he shoots clear apoxy every day there is some haggling room  he is a nice guy and a local bussiness owner so I think I will let him shoot it with the clear and see what he has in mind for pinstripping my animal l cant wait to finish  restring and pick smile

Russell sounds like you are getting closer to finishing date,I hope you have still been getting some pics of your progress so we can see it.

Just found this Russ, what to use under Candy Apple Red.

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/viewtopic.php?t=46545

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Michaels craft supplies may have the paint you are looking for. Or whatever craft shops are in your area.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

yes I have both photos and videos my TraKax pro video program lets me combine picture in picture and splice video segments,photos along with some orignal music soundtrack in a WMV format so as soon as this is compleat I will upload to my youtube website smile

dino48 wrote:

Russell sounds like you are getting closer to finishing date,I hope you have still been getting some pics of your progress so we can see it.

There's a Micheals in the shopping mall a few miles from me I got the only cans they had left and they failed to reorder so I was forced to go online and get it otherwise I would be delayed over a few weeks smile

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Michaels craft supplies may have the paint you are looking for. Or whatever craft shops are in your area.