Topic: Looking for tips on Refinishing a Strat body

I decided to change my S-101 strat copy by putting on a maple fretboard neck and re-finishing the body candy apple red with some scroll work right now its black with a rosewood neck.I know there are several ways to remove the existing finish,sanding,paint stripper,heat gun and even roughing up the shiny surface and just spraying the new coats without stripping off the paint.I have purchased the neck and two cans of Testers candy apple spray enamel I know how to soder so removing the guts and hardware is not a problem any suggestions would be appreciated. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: Looking for tips on Refinishing a Strat body

Sounds like it would look really cool russ,I am not good with wood so I do not know but I hope you will post a picture when you get it done. If it was metal I could help you but its not. ( I have pained some car's and Bikes ).

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I've been in the process of refinishing my acoustic A&L for like a year now. Someday I'll get it done...maybe. Anyway I often visit these sites for advice and tips.

http://www.reranch.com/basics.htm

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/

Good luck on your project Russ. Maybe some before and after pics??????

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I got started on it today this is the first step taking all the hardware and internal parts out I also removed the neck I cant wait to start sanding I have to pickup the right grits and I may need a few more cans of candy apple plus the primer and clear coat finish.plunge in! smile heres a video of my progress so far.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbj5Yf0x … e=youtu.be

Thanks for the links I will check them out I got started on it today and wil posts some videos on the progress smile

zguitar wrote:

I've been in the process of refinishing my acoustic A&L for like a year now. Someday I'll get it done...maybe. Anyway I often visit these sites for advice and tips.

http://www.reranch.com/basics.htm

http://www.reranch.com/reranch/

Good luck on your project Russ. Maybe some before and after pics??????

I took a course in autobody. I also painted a bureau once with the same methods as a car and it came out pretty good. Here  goes. Sand down any scratches with 220 grit first. Then use 400 grit on the same scratches. Prime the scratches and Then sand the whole body with 400 grit. On a car it is supposed to be wet sanded. I wouldnt do it on wood . I took this course 30 years ago. If anyone has any corrections,do let me know. You may want to try it on a junk piece of wood first. Spraying is another thing. Hope this helps some. Good luck

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Thanks Joey for your input I got started sanding but stopped due to some nasty fine dust so I will have to find another location to sand it and wear a dust mask to protect my lungs anyway this is a before video I taped up all the cavities and started sanding using 60 grit I am going to stick with it and since there are no scratches to worry about it wont take to much time but I will use a finer grit before I prime it and wet sand it between coats with a real fine grit.I am meeting with my friend about the neck tomorrow morning to see if he can inlay a maple fretboard. this is a before look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMMjOFTi … e=youtu.be

8 (edited by zguitar 2012-01-22 01:45:22)

If you're worried about dust you might try a chemical stripper. Citristrip works pretty good and it smells like oranges. You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It's a bright orange paste.

You can sand it like you are doing and it will be fine. Just be careful when you get down to the wood. 60 grit will put some deep scratches in it.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Russ,I think it would be best too get all areas to be sanded and painted as clean as possable,I wash cars two or three times before I sand them,this prevents any waxes or most oils from penetrating the surface as they get washed away. before you paint you might want too get a tack clouth to pick up all the dust on the surface to be painted.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I am going to check this out it beats hand sanding and the mess theres a home Depot 10 min from me I also heard of a aerosol spray thats worth checking out while I'm at Home Depot and I am very careful so far the wood is smooth and which ever method dose the job and is easiest will be my choice thanks for the tip smile

zguitar wrote:

If you're worried about dust you might try a chemical stripper. Citristrip works pretty good and it smells like oranges. You can find it at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It's a bright orange paste.

You can sand it like you are doing and it will be fine. Just be careful when you get down to the wood. 60 grit will put some deep scratches in it.

dino I cleaned the surface before and durring sanding something to keep in mind in between coats thanks will do smile

dino48 wrote:

Russ,I think it would be best too get all areas to be sanded and painted as clean as possable,I wash cars two or three times before I sand them,this prevents any waxes or most oils from penetrating the surface as they get washed away. before you paint you might want too get a tack clouth to pick up all the dust on the surface to be painted.

Hi Russ,

As you know I have just rebuilt a Yamaha 'strat' and the biggest problem I had was getting a real good finish using aerosols. Unfortunately I no longer have access to a compressor and spraygun and so I am seriously thinking of taking the body to a car spray shop at some time in the future to get it redone.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

If you use spraycans, I was partial to krylon(oil base). It dries fast and was easiest to work with.  RUSTOLEUM IS AWFUL. It runs like you wouldnt believe. Spend A couple dollars and practice on ajunk piece of wood first. The last time I spraypainted anything was a box for my daughterin 2003. I used krylon. I don`t know if it is still made or not. Let me (us) know how it goes

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Thanks Roger all kinds of great tips I am getting never thought of a auto body shop spraying it but why not? cant cost that much I can do some checking around the local shops and see what turns up the less the mess is better smile

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hi Russ,

As you know I have just rebuilt a Yamaha 'strat' and the biggest problem I had was getting a real good finish using aerosols. Unfortunately I no longer have access to a compressor and spraygun and so I am seriously thinking of taking the body to a car spray shop at some time in the future to get it redone.

Roger

joey I seen a few photos of guitars painted with Krylon they looked really nice I stll think getting a good finish requires sanding,primer and after applying the color more wet sanding and several coats of clear coat but before I apply it myself I am going to take Rogers suggestion and ask around a few body shops I am using Testors enamel candy apple its a hobby paint and should produce a nice finish with the proper steps smile

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

If you use spraycans, I was partial to krylon(oil base). It dries fast and was easiest to work with.  RUSTOLEUM IS AWFUL. It runs like you wouldnt believe. Spend A couple dollars and practice on ajunk piece of wood first. The last time I spraypainted anything was a box for my daughterin 2003. I used krylon. I don`t know if it is still made or not. Let me (us) know how it goes

Preparation is the key to a good job. If you do go to a body shop, see if they are painting any cars thatcolor to begin with. They may give you a braek on the price of paint since it is already mixed and in the gun. You will have to do all the prep work still.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

17 (edited by dino48 2012-01-22 17:56:32)

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Preparation is the key to a good job. If you do go to a body shop, see if they are painting any cars thatcolor to begin with. They may give you a braek on the price of paint since it is already mixed and in the gun. You will have to do all the prep work still.

jjj I agree the prep is the most important thing too be done,and then follow the instructions on the paint.russell the can will let you know what too do ie prep. room temp etc. russ you should practice on some other piece of wood too give you a preview. I did this with the cars I have painted. ( differant paints and tempratures etc. ) Temp can be critical. Also if you get to small areas not too be painted and that will not allow you too tape for overspray you can use a small bit of petrolloem jelly too coat it and that will keep it from being painted.

I met with my friend who looked at the neck it seems it woulld be better to go ahead and purchase a Mighty Mite maple fretboard neck online for $80 bucks and get free shipping easy to install with less hassle I did ask about sandpaper grits and he agreed with starting wilth 400 we sanded a area of the body and it looks nice and dull but I may have to apply a primer to the area I sanded down to the wood surface to insure it will blend in,I am documenting each step with a photo and will assemble a collage when finished and add this to a video and play the finished guitar.I also picked up a pro sanding mask with canisters from my friend to use in case I have to spray this myselfl. smile

Hi Russell, I am brand new here and just reading a few posts. I have built 5 acoustic steel strings and 1 tele copy. A lot of giutar finishes these days is an epoxy. Chemical removers don't work very well. Have you visited Frets website http://www.frets.com/ there is a repair page on the site that is an  outstanding source of information. There is a large section on finishing and refinishing. I have used the reranch produts. They are high quality. I have also used Stew Macs, also high quality laquer with tints. For clear coats, I like Deft laquor because of the spray nozzle. It sprays a fan shape, not a small cirlce. The fan can be rotated to any position and allows for slightly overlapping the spray...much better than a circle spray. I hope the frets page helps.

Mask and canisters? Half the fun of doing autobody was inhaling the fumes.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Mask and canisters? Half the fun of doing autobody was inhaling the fumes.

ROFLMAO

rguess I visited your site and was overwhelmed with all the info I need specific information regarding my project I need to get all the paint off and I am set on a candy apple finish so I would appriciate it if you could give me a link that relates to this, your site is very impressive and I have heard of Deft clear coats what you say confirms that this is the best product for the final stage so what do you think is the best candy apple paint for my project and what is the best primer,paint remover and sandpaper grits etc.. thanks for your intrest and help smile 

rguess wrote:

Hi Russell, I am brand new here and just reading a few posts. I have built 5 acoustic steel strings and 1 tele copy. A lot of giutar finishes these days is an epoxy. Chemical removers don't work very well. Have you visited Frets website http://www.frets.com/ there is a repair page on the site that is an  outstanding source of information. There is a large section on finishing and refinishing. I have used the reranch produts. They are high quality. I have also used Stew Macs, also high quality laquer with tints. For clear coats, I like Deft laquor because of the spray nozzle. It sprays a fan shape, not a small cirlce. The fan can be rotated to any position and allows for slightly overlapping the spray...much better than a circle spray. I hope the frets page helps.

23 (edited by Russell_Harding 2012-01-23 11:59:58)

Learned somthing by trial and error after sanding the top and applying the candy apple I found that I will have to strip all the black paint to the bare wood and then I had a brainstorm what if.. I use a WHITE primer my insight was confirmed with a little research so I am using a spray paint remover VHT its safe fast and cheap I will remove all the paint and clean the surface with aceitone it drys fast and will remove any paint left in the grain once this step is over I am spraying the whole body with white Krylon primer and I already have a full can from my chessboard project it drys fast so I will hit it with three coats then comes the candy apple red I figure on at least applying 3 to 4 coats wet sanding with a fine grit between coats once this step is finished and dry I would like to put some ornate pin striping on so I am laying out a design and trace it onto the guitar and the rest is a little tricky I will have to use a fine point to remove the top layers and reveal the white primer this will stand out when finished then I can hit it with some apoxy clear coats at least three to four and wet sanding with 800 to 1000 grit for the final finish thats the plan and if all go's well my guitar will look smoking hot!! this is going to be fun smile
This is sort of what I had in mind only it will be red with white stripping
https://picasaweb.google.com/rharding0/ … 8939220498

From my experience with red paint you need a pink or grey primer for the red to show it's true color. Over white or black it will not come out as you expect.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

The auto body gave me a quote it seems next week there painting a motercycle tank with a apple red color if I prime it it will cost me $50 which includes a few coats of clear coat he did mention that candy apple needs a silver base coat to really pop the color but the white is fine for a primer the other option is to have him order the paint (candy apple) then the job will run $200 that seems like a lot but custom paint jobs arnt cheap. smile