Re: science and inventors

Don't misunderstand me. I don't ascribe to the "god in gaps" theory at all. I believe that there is a scientific explanation for all phenomena including our evolution, the Big Bang, Schroedinger's Cat, etc...

I believe that God gave us the greatest miracle of all: The ability to think freely, theorize, prove and the ability to communicate our findings. That  there are people out there that wish to limit our ability of thought, choice and our ability to truly learn "how it works" is perhaps, in my mind, the greatest sin of religion (Aside from killing in the name of god).

I was raised Catholic and in irks me that the Vatican tried to suppress scientific thought in the name of retaining power over the masses. This is the same sin that many religions are committing today.

I believe that it is our mandate to learn as much as we can. We will make mistakes but to refuse to learn, or refuse to allow others to learn and explore knowledge about "why things are the way they are" is immoral.

God did not allow us to evolve our minds just to shut them down. To not use our minds for learning truths, scientific or otherwise, goes against   the basic design of our brain. If we use only ten percent of our brain, (that God gave us?), wouldn't one think that god had far greater plans for us than where we are now? Wouldn't one think that we are supposed to evolve so that we can use all of the power of our brain? If the quest of knowledge and truth, therefore the maturity of the abilities to use our whole brain, is suppressed by religious edict are we not going against Gods' will?

Hmm... food for thought for sure. I do agree that we don't think as much as we should. I'm a six day Creationist and I believe the world is about 6,000-10,000 years old, and I think this theory adds up well with modern scientific fact. In my opinion, there is just  little too much credit to the Theory of Evolution. I have a lot of questions about it.

Whitewater, I've never noticed AiG being 'god of the gappers', but if that's so, I'm very disappointed. I've read their literature and even been to seminars by them, but I could have missed it.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

auxi wrote:

Hmm... food for thought for sure. I do agree that we don't think as much as we should. I'm a six day Creationist and I believe the world is about 6,000-10,000 years old, and I think this theory adds up well with modern scientific fact. In my opinion, there is just  little too much credit to the Theory of Evolution. I have a lot of questions about it.

Whitewater, I've never noticed AiG being 'god of the gappers', but if that's so, I'm very disappointed. I've read their literature and even been to seminars by them, but I could have missed it.

Due to being raised in a staunch catholic family, (My uncle is a priest and has performed every marriage in our family since my parents married in 1964), and having to read much of the bible, listen to scripture, CCD, etc... I, of course am very familiar with Genesis. As I grew older I tried to reconcile Genesis, especially the "Six Days" of creation with the sciences. Here is what I came up with:

God did indeed create the world in six days, but...How long are his days? 24 hours? One year? an eon? Is time nothing to God? Is an eon an eye-blink to him? If an eon is an eye-blink to God then could one day be a couple of hundred thousand years? Or a million?

The bible was written by man. The New Testament was a transcription of the teachings of MML&J. There is no definite statement that says that God's day is 24 hours. Can one's faith accept that God made the Earth in six of HIS days but it was many millions of our years?

If you think like I do then the millions of years that science says it took to make the earth is reconciled with what Genesis says.

auxi wrote:

The difficulty with using a literal reading of the bible is that believers don't. The method of teaching used by all Jewish teachers, including Jesus, was to use metaphor/allegory to drive home a deeper spiritual point. Literalists tend to pick and choose which biblical passages are literal and which are allegorical/metaphoric. This creates difficulties for "fundamentalists", since the literal interpretation is often incorrect. I could quote ad-naseum the contradictions that a literal translation presents, but it has been done many, many times before.

I don't dismiss faith, but I also am aware of the history of the bible, which should be understood before assuming literal interpretation of its content. There are many sublime truths contained in scripture, but the underlying truth is obfuscated by a literal translation. No one believes that waving a painted stick at a flock will cause different colours of animals to be produced, but it is there in the bible.

As I said, reading and interpreting the bible "literally" diminishes its messages.

I can send you on a search for biblical history, and an understanding of the contextual meaning of biblical passages, but I will not debate it with a believer, who, by definition, takes truth on faith. Faith is a touchy subject, I have found.

As to the ToE, without it, our medical sciences would be primitive. Since the mapping of the human genome, our understanding of our lineage has grown immensely. Often, people misunderstand evolutionary processes and the vast amounts of time that create them. As physical conditions change in a given locale, the living populations in these locales do adapt to these changing conditions. Many small changes, which make an organism more viable in its environment, are passed on genetically and organisms do change over time, given enough time. This has been observed in nature and in the lab.

Scripture is not a science book, and trying to make it so creates the "god of the gaps" often spoken of. If you look a little closer at AIG, you will find that the "scientists" involved hold degrees outside the physical sciences, for the most part. No actual biologists, physicists, geologists, geneticists and so on, contribute to AIG. Further, contrary to how science is done, the groups and individuals involved in creationism, which they present as a science, have never presented any papers or theses for peer review from other scientists, and for good reason.

Faith does not equal science.

I hope I didn't offend you, auxi. I support your right to take things on faith, but I do not agree with teaching what is ostensibly religion, as science. The facts and research do not bear up creationism to scientific scrutiny.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Though I am a believer, I find that I am in near complete agreement with Whitewater55.  As far as taking some parts of Scripture literally and some figuratively, to that I say, "Of course."  Parts of Scripture are meant as history books, Chronicles and Kings for example.  They're history in the way history was written then (by the winners and to make the one paying for it look really great).  Others are meant as allegory, the story of Creation for example.  When I read Job, it seems like a morality tale to me with each of Job's friends acting as an arguer for various approaches to life.  I've had pastors tell me emphatically that Job was a real person and the the story is historically accurate.  Does it matter to understanding?  I don't think so.  The truth contained in the same whether it is historical or a morality tale.  Some other areas are apocolyptic literature, such as Revelation.  This is why I say it is important to know who wrote a particular book (as best we can guess in some instances), why they wrote it, who their audience was, and what the culture of that time was to have a chance at understanding Scripture.  It is an ancient text written (in part) in dead languages to an agrarian people in the East.  We are post-industrial modern Western people using modern languages.  It is not just the language that needs to be translated, but the meaning.  Is Scripture truthful?  I say yes.  Is Scripture factual?  In most cases, probably not.  That is a very hard thing to accept for many Western minds who are used to using fact and truth as synonyms.  There's also the trouble of Scripture saying something that is taken to mean it is ALWAYS true.  For example, it is a true statement to say that men have red hair.  But if that is understood to mean that ALL men have red hair, then it is not a true statement.  That sort of error happens frequently. 

Edit to add: There is a Christian apologetics group that is comprised primarily of scientists.  They are Reasons To Believe and have a website by that name.  I find the information on it interesting, but sometimes have trouble following the logic they use to apply the information to matters of the divine.  I think the information is good to reinforce existing belief and to demonstrate that belief does not require a suspension of intelligence as some people think (To be clear: I'm not referring to Whitewater55's respectful and polite post there.  I've heard that claim made elsewhere.).  Anyway, it's an interesting and challenging web site, even if the apologetics aren't as compelling as they'd like them to be. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Haha, Ww, you're not going to offend me. smile
Just for the record, I respect your views, also. It's a complicated issue and I know no two people will ever agree 100%.

I do take the Bible literally except of course, when it is clearly written as an allegory, metaphor, parable or poetry - which is usually obvious. The way the account of creation is given in Genesis and throughout the Bible is as if it were a true story - not a fanciful way God decided to entertain us. It's detailed, and coming from my point of view, lines up with science. I do take the Bible on faith. I wasn't there. I don't 'know' that God made man of the dust of the ground, or that Moses crossed the Red Sea, or that Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, or that he himself was raised from the dead. I take it on faith. But I also believe there is an awful lot of faith that must go along with the theory of Evolution - which is, btw, just a theory and not proven fact. Unless, of course, one is referring to Micro Evolution.
If the creation account is just an alagory, how can I trust the rest of the Bible? How can I trust that Jesus was the Christ? That's what it boils down to anyway, right?
My biggest problem in the Gap Theory, and/or Day Age Theory is that they don't match up with the Bible in light of science (i.e. fossils; death came as a result of sin, yet 'ancestral' fossils exist. Also, fossilized thorns, which were a direct payback for Adam's sin, etc.) Also, the language used in describing the six days of creation found in Genesis is very explicit in pointing out these were literal 24 hour days (evening and morning were the first day.)

I think we have to choose between Evoluiton and the Bible. I don't see a huge reason to choose Evolution, so I'm going with the Bible. It's really not that harder to believe 'In the beginning God created the heaven an the earth...' than 'In the beginning nothing exploded and created something that changed slowly into you and me...'
You are right, WW, that the Bible is not a science book. But when it speaks on science, I believe it's correct.

As for AiG, they put a lot of science in their literature, but they are a religious organization.

Zurf, I've heard of Reasons to Believe. Hough Ross runs it I think. I found this debate on Ytube of Ross and Ken Ham (who runs AiG). I've not seen it, but it might be fun to watch http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL013D07601ACCCD22

Katie

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Katie,

There is no conflict between science in faith, in my opinion.  Evolution is a theory, but its a pretty well-regarded one.  The problem as I see it is that many times people who argue for or against either evolution or creation aren't very well versed in the one they don't believe.  When one looks at Creation, it is clear that God created all there is.  He spoke it into being, essentially as an act of will.  In John, we learn that Jesus was the word of creation, and the creative force of the triune God at the time of Creation.  OK, that's Creation.  In evolution, we learn nothing about creation.  Evolution does not address creation whatsoever.  Not even a little, so there can be no conflict.  When you talk about the origin of creation, you are talking about theoretical physics and not evolution.  The predominant theory in physics to explain the origin the universe is the Big Bang.  That name was a name of ridicule given to the theory by someone attempting to discredit it because the man who developed the theory was a priest and it sounded too much like, God spoke.  At the time, the most recognized theory was of a static universe.  We have since learned that the Big Bang is far more likely to be right than stasis.  So, no conflict except on the timing.  You mentioned how creation is mentioned throughout Scripture, but it is mentioned in the context of it being Creation (as opposed to Accidental Occurance), meaning that God did it.  There is no consistent mention of timing to support the day = 24 hours (and yes, I've read John MacArthur's reasoning on the subject.  I found the logic to be circular and continue to disagree.).  To the contrary, there are repeated mentions that we perceive time differently than does God, and that our time has no meaning to Him.  So it is difficult to say with certainty, using Scripture as the basis, that what God did in his perception of time is consistent with our perception of time. 

If you want to talk about how we have different animals, evolution says they come from long lines of mutation allowing adaptation to various environments.  Creation says they were spoken into existance, an animal husbandry of sorts.  It says that like comes from like.  This seems inconsistent with evolution because evolution relies on new species coming from prior species.  However, the "like" Scripture speaks of does not start with microbes and mutations.  It speaks of flying things and crawling things and swimming things.  There is no mention whatsoever of species derivations by binomial nomenclature.  So there is no conflict between species and "things", because they use radically different categorizations. 
The remaining apparent conflict between evolution and Scripture at this point is that evolution suggests that mutations are random and creationism suggests that there was a plan.  Without having sufficient information on how many mutations there were that were not accepted and how many were, there is little way of testing whether or not mutations were random.  Further, the process of evolution does not RELY on randomness.  If it could be mathematically shown that mutations weren't random, it would only require an adjustment to the theory of evolution not a complete abandonment of it.  To the contrary, genetic engineers use principles of evolution in non-random splicing and experimentation on a daily basis.  Now, about like coming from like in Scripture, in the context it is talking about the direct descendants - the change of one generation.   Evolution doesn't address changes happening in one generation.  It recognizes that species are perpetuated genetically from parents to children.  So again, there is no conflict. 

Finally, science attempts to explain what is.  If you accept that God created all that there is, then science is learning more and more about what God created.  So, if one believes that God created all that there is, and if science is learning about what is, then how can science conflict with God's creation. 

For all these reasons, I do not think there is a choice to be made between faith and science.  I find them to be entirely compatible with one another. 

I'll be interested in the debate link, but it will have to wait for when I have enough time to give it my full attention.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

The problem, auxi, is the word "theory".
The term doesn't mean what you think it does when science is involved.
Gravity is a "theory", but research has supported this theory to the point that we successfully landed men on the moon, using this "theory". In much the same way, biological science uses the "theory" of evolution in everything from finding cures to diseases to remedying heart problems to a host of other medical research. Without the ToE, modern biology would not exist.
A scientific theory arises when a researcher observes verifiable events, records them and uses these observations to support his or her hypothesis. This theory is then published for peer review by other scientists, who examine the data, and attempt to reproduce the same results. If the data is not verifiable, then the theory is debunked. However, for over 150 years, since the publication of "The Descent of Man; On the Origins of Species", all of the scientists on the planet have tried to refute it. In the process, certain refinements are made, but in those 150 years, no scientist has sucessfully refuted the ToE, only strengthened and refined it.
A scientific theory is not simply an unverifiable hypothesis, rather is subject to rigorous peer review, by other scientists who attempt to poke holes in it, or look for missing elements to refine the theory. The theory of evolution has passed this test for 150 years, and has been strengthened by new breakthroughs in genetics; mapping the human genome, as an example.

The problem with the AiG people, the Ken Hamms of the world, is that they do not accept the theory because they believe in a literal bible, and the ToE doesn't mention God, since, of course, God is not scientifically verifiable. The ToE does not attempt to answer the question of the existence of God. It does explain the periodic rise and fall of species over the course of the planet's history, and the adaptation by organisms to a changing environment. That is all it does.

To understand why there are biblical literalists, one must understand that until the advent of the "enlightenment", the bible was the only source of science. Gallilleo proved that the Earth was not the center of the universe, the the planets revolved around the sun, and that moons orbited other planets. The observable movement of the planets in the night sky was verifiable, and replaced the earth-centric universe that biblical literalists took for granted. This was the beginning of modern science, where chemistry replaced alchemy and asttronomy replaced astrology. In the next few centuries after the enlightenment, science made tremendous bounds and human knowledge increased astronomically.

Then, in the latter half of the 19th century, a pastor and religious scholar went through the bible, with an emphasis on prophecy and a reliance on a literal intrepretation of the passages. He worked out, on paper, using rather cherry picked biblical passages, to support what is now called the "rapture" theory. At the time it was written, biblical scholars called it a mishmash, a made up theory without biblical validation.

This pastor then got his theory annotated into a King James bible version known as the Schofield bible, with its footnotes and sidebars, and it seemed all very scholarly, since the annotations were added to the pages of the bible. The Schofield bible was the largest selling bible in the United States for decades, and by the 1890's, a movement formed around this "rapture" idea, They formed the original Fundamentalist movement, which, has, of course, mutated into what we have today in North America' a stiuation where the 20 or so percent of Christians who consider themselves fundamentalists, setting the agenda for less evangelical churches to be pushed into the background.

One must be aware that the original writers of the bible were, some 3800 years ago, bronze age, semi nomads who would consider the modern world incomprehensible. Modern technology did not exist. There were no telescopes, no microscopes, no electricity and no one person or persons who spent their time doing science. We are talking about a fairly primitive society. I speak of the Old Testament here. There was no such thing as science 3800 years ago, at least not in the sense that we think of it today. It would be unwise to read literal truth into stories written then by people who didn't even recognize "zero" in mathematics.

The bible is silent on evolution. Evolution is silent on the bible. They are irrelevant to each other, one concerning itself with the unobservable and unverifiable, ie faith, and the other with the observable and verfifiable, science. They are mutually exclusive, in the final analysis, as Gallilleo observed while recanting his solar centred universe, the Earth still moves.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"

34 (edited by jerome.oneil 2012-01-11 18:50:06)

I'll follow on with that excellent summation.

I'd like to address the word "proof" and "prove" as they aren't really relevant to anything other than mathematics and vodka.  Science deals in "evidence" rather than "proof."  The confusion that whitewhater just went over often stems from a simple order of operations problem.  Scientists start with evidence, and then develop the theory.  The problem with AiG is that it does it the other way.  One of the halmarks of a good scientific theory is that it can be used to make accurate predictions about future events.  It is also one of the chief reasons that AiG isn't a scientific theory at all.  It makes no predictions and is predicated upon no evidence.

Using the Galileo example, what Galileo came up with wasn't proof that the planets orbit the sun, and not the earth, but a much better theory as to why the stars and planets behaved in the sky as they do. 

Going back even further in time, the retrograde motion (the appearance that inner planets move backwards in the sky) of planets had already been explained by another geocentric theory called Ptolmaic theory that mathematically accounted for the motion.  It was incredibly complex, though, involving multiple orbits for each of the retrograde planets but it had stood for almost 1500 years until Copernicus came along and explained it all rather simply with a heliocentric model.   His theory accounted for more of the observed data than the Ptolmaic system did, and could be used to more accurately predict the locations of the retrograde planets in the sky.  In other words, the theory was refined to fit the observable data.  They did not go out to seek data to fit the existing theory.

Then came Kepler, who looked at Copernicus's work and said "Hey, there are still some inaccuracies in your predictions," and offered refinements of his own.  Where Copernicus used circular orbits, Kepler looked at the evidence and found that elliptical orbits more accurately fit the evidence.   We know now that Kepler's theory on orbital motion is accurate and that planets do in fact have elliptical orbits.

The same can be said of the "theory" of gravity.   Newton first observed that objects in a vacuum fall at a constant rate regardless of mass, was able to model that accurately, but couldn't explain why.  Einstein came along and gave us General Relativity, based on the exact same data, and now we have a pretty good model to use when we go to the moon.

The point of all this is that science *starts with evidence,* and then seeks to move to a conclusion to explain it.  As a result, the theories *must* change.   If they didn't, then you're not really dealing with science.  Literalism starts with the conclusion (the Bible is literally correct) and then seeks to find evidence for it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks for the definitions everybody. I think I have an okay understanding, though. A theory is an attempt to explain why something is or does what it is or does.  Usually not regarded as hard core fact, but expected to be in accord with the laws of nature. The laws of nature are the truths of science. (The Theory of Evolution 'overrules' the first and second laws of thermodynamics and the law of causality.) AiG is not, nor claims to be a scientific theory. It is an apologetics ministry - if I'm correct.
I definitely would never claim to not believe in micro evolution. Things change. Things mutate. There's not a person I know who would dispute this. It's common knowledge and common sense. Coming from a farming family (crops and cattle) I understand the value of hybrid seeds and selective breeding. It's when folks take it a step further and propose one 'kind' of animal/plant/etc. can turn into another 'kind'. I.e. Apelike creature to human. I also have confusion about the Big Bang, which isn't really 'evolution' but the beginning of the evolution. I don't see how something can come from nothing. If it were gas, or a vacuum, or cosmic dust, whatever, it had to come from somewhere.
I hope some of this makes sense. I'm just 19 and not a very good writer, so you'll have to forgive me. If I've been incorrect on anything I apologize - you'll just have to get used to it smile. Definitely was not intentional.
Have a great night everybody. Thanks CJ for the support!

Katie

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

"...If the creation account is just an alagory, how can I trust the rest of the Bible? How can I trust that Jesus was the Christ? That's what it boils down to anyway, right?
My biggest problem in the Gap Theory, and/or Day Age Theory is that they don't match up with the Bible in light of science (i.e. fossils; death came as a result of sin, yet 'ancestral' fossils exist. Also, fossilized thorns, which were a direct payback for Adam's sin, etc.) Also, the language used in describing the six days of creation found in Genesis is very explicit in pointing out these were literal 24 hour days (evening and morning were the first day.)..."

My "theory" is not an allegory so to speak. It is literal. Remember: God's time may be much different than our time thus his "morning" and his "evening" could be much longer than ours. There is no reference to a 24 hour day anywhere in the Bible. Just morning and evening: vague references to time.

The first thing that I feel one must see about the bible is that while it is the "Word of God" it was written by man. This after many years had passed from the original events. When man is involved then there will be literary liberties taken. This in itself is hard to reconcile as it is said in the Bible that you must take the book as  the literal "Word of God'...

But man was involved in writing it and no matter how one tries to be objective one's opinion and beliefs will color the events. This is one reason why there is a Torah, Bible, Koran, etc...Each are different interpretations of "how things were" and yet each say they are the "One True Word".

How does one resolve that conflict, (and an important one), of the faiths?

When Man wants others to believe his is best he will make sure there are codicils that "guarantee" his is best, I.E.:'...all other prophets are false prophets..." Then one is expected to take it upon faith that "It Is True".

Unfortunately, we go back to the basic premise: All religious tomes were written, ultimately, by man thus they will, most likely, be flawed.

Lastly: I think it is a given that every one here who has posted believes in God. It is how we believe that is different. The great thing about our God Given free will is that we can differ in our beliefs yet discuss them intelligently and civilly.

Props to all who have participated in this discussion and kept it open and civil!

auxi wrote:

Thanks for the definitions everybody. I think I have an okay understanding, though. A theory is an attempt to explain why something is or does what it is or does.  Usually not regarded as hard core fact, but expected to be in accord with the laws of nature. The laws of nature are the truths of science. (The Theory of Evolution 'overrules' the first and second laws of thermodynamics and the law of causality.) AiG is not, nor claims to be a scientific theory. It is an apologetics ministry - if I'm correct.
I definitely would never claim to not believe in micro evolution. Things change. Things mutate. There's not a person I know who would dispute this. It's common knowledge and common sense. Coming from a farming family (crops and cattle) I understand the value of hybrid seeds and selective breeding. It's when folks take it a step further and propose one 'kind' of animal/plant/etc. can turn into another 'kind'. I.e. Apelike creature to human. I also have confusion about the Big Bang, which isn't really 'evolution' but the beginning of the evolution. I don't see how something can come from nothing. If it were gas, or a vacuum, or cosmic dust, whatever, it had to come from somewhere.
I hope some of this makes sense. I'm just 19 and not a very good writer, so you'll have to forgive me. If I've been incorrect on anything I apologize - you'll just have to get used to it :). Definitely was not intentional.
Have a great night everybody. Thanks CJ for the support!

Katie

The first and seconds laws of thermodynamics are not negated. Earth is not a closed system. It recieves VAST amounts of outside energy from the sun, and the stars. Therefore, these laws do not apply, directly or indirectly, to the ToE.

The big bang is interesting, though. Think of a black hole, in space. It's gravity is so profound, that not even light escapes it. When that point of singularity is arrived at, time ceases to exist, as it slows down until it reaches the singularity. If you think of the big bang as the first singularity, there is no "prior" to the big bang, since time cannot begin until the bang occurs.
An excellent source to read is anything by Steven Hawking relating to black holes and the big bang. This does not break the law of causality in quantum physics.

The problem, as I see it, for literalist Christians, is that they are under the impression that if science conflicts with the bible, then science is wrong, whatever the observable facts are, and if you so believe this, you have every right to do so. My problem is that literalists are not content to abide their beliefs, but insist on selling that belief as science, when it is clearly not, to the point of trying to inject into our school system. If the "creationist" theory had one iota of scientific, ie verifiable, proof, then I would consider it. It simply doesn't. It is religion, dressed up as science, without any actual science being done. To teach it as science is, put it bluntly, a lie.

Katie and CJ, I am in no way trying to de-convert you. For me, science requires evidence, faith does not. As I said in an earlier post, the two do not relate to each other, and should not. Science is never about faith, and faith is never about science. They are not necessarily opposed, rather, it becomes a comparison of apples and oranges, completely different fields.

One other point, though, about the biblical account of creation. If you do interpret it literally, how do you reconcile the Genisis I account and the very different Genisis II account. Surely one or both accounts are either allegorical or untrue. Literal interpretation of both presents a dichotomy.

On the issue of science versus faith for what happens if science and faith disagree, here's my take on it.  I believe that Scriptures are always right.  So we'll start from there.  However, I recognize that Scriptures had a particular audience to whom they were targeted (not me, by the way), that audience existed in a particular time and culture (neither of which is mine), and was written in a particular language well understood by that audience (but not by me).  So, given that it is up to me to understand Scripture to be able to apply it to my life, and given that to do so requires me to trust translators and to research the culture of the original audience then try to myself in their mindset, I recognize that there is a great deal of opportunity for Scripture to be completely right but my understanding of its meaning be wrong. 

Genesis is a good example.  If I read the creation story in Genesis and believe it happened exactly like it was described without consideration of the audience or the message the Lord may have been trying to give them when it was given, then I'm likely to get the message wrong.  So, Scripture can be right but my well-intentioned effort to understand can be wrong.  If there are several ways to understand Scripture (there always is, or everyone who reads it would always understand exactly the same way) and I choose one of those ways, and if there is a huge amount of evidence that has to be ignored or explained away to make my understanding accurate, then it's probably not the evidence or Scripture that's in error.  It's probably me.  Faith requires... faith.  It doesn't require ignorance.  God will NEVER AGAIN require us to remain ignorant.  He did that once - in the garden - and it didn't work out. 

- Zurf

Proof, Whitewater? In a theory? Theories are never proven, only dis-proven. I do not propose Biblical creation taught in public schools unless other religious beliefs are taught. Perhaps it should also be an issue for states to decide, but that's another subject. All I think should be taught in school is truth. I'm sure no one here disagrees with that.
The Bible doesn't conflict with true science. However, it may not match up to fads within the scientific world. Looking to the past shows that it doesn't (think of the Earth being round. The Bible taught that, while the common teaching like 500 years ago was that it was flat.) The Bible also taught micro evolution before Darwin ever introduced On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life was introduced (think of the tower of Babel.) The Bible also talks of the Second Law of Thermodynamics. No, the Bible is not a science book. But when it speaks of science I believe it is correct.

The differences in chapters 1 and 2 are because one is the creation of the universe and the other is when God specially makes the Garden of Eden.

Nobody answered my question: Is anything I say making sense? smile

Zurf, I agree with a lot of what you say.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Yes Auxi, some of what you are saying makes sense.  Except saying that the Bible talks about science.  It talks about observations and events and how those played out over time, which are things that might INFLUENCE science, but it's not science itself.   The whole idea of there even being something like what we call science today didn't come around until something like 15 centuries after the events of the New Testament.  Further, ancient Jews frequently altered the order of events of stories, left things out of stories, and highlighted other parts of stories for the purpose of making a point.  It is a habit that is very useful for learning what the author was trying to teach, which is really what readers of Scripture ought to concerns themselves with.  On the other hand, it is a habit that is not useful for using the stories in the way Western minds treat history or scientific thought. 

- Zurf

Edit: Second to last sentence edited for grammar (still terrible, sorry) and last sentence added.

It makes sense to me, too. I disagree with your conclusions, wholeheartedly, but I understand your position, too. My difficulty with the Genisis stories differences, as in order of creation, as an example, is that they both cannot be correct, if read literally. I tried, when I was searching for truth, to understand why there were such blatant contradictions in those accounts of the creation, from a literalist perspective, and to try to reconcile the differences.
The only way for me to reconcile the differences was to assume that one or both were allegorical, which led me to study the bible in a different way. I re-read the bible, and came to understand that the allegorical messages of the Old Testament stories were far more profound than if interpreted literally.

There is beauty in the underlying truths about humanity that are contained in the Bible.

whitewater55 wrote:

There is beauty in the underlying truths about humanity that are contained in the Bible.

There's something I think we can all agree upon. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:
whitewater55 wrote:

There's something I think we can all agree upon. 

- Zurf

Absolutely. Thanks for the discussion everyone. smile

Katie

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

45 (edited by whitewater55 2012-01-13 02:02:12)

cj - I don't doubt the sincerity of your belief, nor do I condemn it. However, each indivdual reads any book with preconcieved notions, with cultural bias, with environmental and culturally different backgrounds and life experiences. This also happens when people read scripture. The sum of their experiences in life colours their interpretation of what they read, particularly when reading scripture.
The points you made about scripure study are important, but, one must also understand oneself to fully understand those experiences that colour our interpretations. As well, it is vital to understand the times and the world history at the times scriptures were written or compiled. There are some 3500 English versions of the bible alone, each translation bearing the cultural bias of the translators. With such a cacaphony of interpretation, in the final analysis, one must understand that what they interpret from the multitude of voices is exremely personal, and that fact alone would call into question a literal translation.
I have spent a lifetime (61) studying and searching for "truth" and what I have found in my interpretation of the bible is that the central message Jesus propogated was that the Kingdom of God can be found in each of us, and it is up to each of us to not only find it within ourselves, but to look for it in others. If we all bear in mind that we all share that Kingdom, which is in each of us, wars and hatred would cease, and we could live in a peaceful world.
The rigid, dogmatic minutae of ritual and form in religion is what Jesus fought against when he took on the Pharisees, and chased the money changers out of the temple.

Whitewater, I'm curious if you have any commentary on the Synoptic / Gnostic disparity in the gospels?  Your interpretation to my reading sounds like what the Gnostics would tell us (the Kingdom of God is already here) and I'm interested in your thoughts on the matter.

I'd also like to comment on c-j's comment.

"I find it extremely unbelievable that God in all his Omnipotence, is so powerful that he can speak the world into existence, yet does not have the ability to ensure man writes His word exactly the way He wants it."

Fair enough.  I also find it extremely unbelievable that God, in all his Omnipotence, couldn't get it done until 1604, when the King James version was finally canonized.  My namesake, St. Jerome, translated the Vulgate in the fourth century, and things have been wonky ever since.  It is impossible to say "you have to go back to the greek" because that is simply another translation.  Jesus didn't' speak greek, he spoke Aramaic.  The greek is no more original than the latin or the english, and even it was subject to interpretation.  Its why there are four canonized gospels (and several other gospels not in the cannon, including gospels from Peter, Mary, Timothy, and Judas) that all take from one another.

So how could that be, then, that God couldn't direct his creatures to write it down correctly for over a thousand years?   Were the people prior to the coronation of James reading the "wrong" version?   Perhaps it is because we are *supposed* to filter it through our own experiences and pre-conceived notions.  I can't fathom a God that could breath life into us and claim a personal relationship with each of us, but was too busy to come up with an individual plan for each of us that would require an individual interpretation of his word.   I do not believe that God said all he had to say to a group of nomadic sheepherders during the Roman occupation and then disappeared forever.   

God's plan isn't a "one size fits all" plan.  It's a plan just for you.  Your readings should likewise be just for you.  That requires filtering through your experiences.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

47 (edited by whitewater55 2012-01-13 11:21:23)

By the start of the fourth century, there were innumerable "gospels" in and aound the Roman world. The gnostic books were purged from Christianity by 325 AD, by edict from Constantine and with the compliance of the various bishops who attended the Nicean conferences. This was done to "unify" Christianity with a set of dogma that was universal. All other interpretations of scripture, and the various non-compliant gospels were effectively eliminated.
The books that we now call the bible were debated, often heatedly, to pare down the canon that we recognize today. As an example, the choice of four gospels, was arrived at quite arbitrarily, four being the number of the four elements, ie earth, air, fire and water. The "jewishness: of the church had been pushed aside.
The term "gnostic", for centuries was equated to heresy. Gnostic believers thought that the secret wisdom of Jesus was the basis for their seperateness from the other, to them, simpler beliefs of non-gnostics. They paid the price and were virtually eliminated, along with all their gospels.
The New Testament, it must be understood, did not exist as a collection until the fourth century. The gospels that we now use as scripture were, for the most part, writtten at least a generation removed from being contemporary with the life of Jesus; some as much as 100 years after Jesus' death or more. This in and of itself does not make them invalid, but when reading and studying them, one must be aware that these books were written and re-written several times before being canonized as scripture. The "original" books of the gospels were already interpreted in disparate cultures, and in different contexts.
Jesus central message of love one another, or that which you do to the least of my brethren you have done to me still come through. Early Christianity was initially a Jewish sect. Jesus was, to his core, a Jew. By the fourth century, that Jewishness was purged from the religion. Pagan holidays were incorporated into Christianity, even the date of the "12 days of Christmas" come from the Saturnalia, the feast days surrounding the winter solstice.
I'm not really trying to de-construct the Bible, simply trying to understand its roots, and thereby gain a deeper understanding of the central message it contains. Christianity, with its message of peace and brotherhood is still the central message. Much of our modern interpretation of that message has been overlain with "tradition", which subtly changed the message to conform to the dogmatization of that message. The simple truth of its message is still valid, but biblical scholars understand that our modern interpretations of scripture are different than what was the original import of what was a radical departure from existing beliefs. When Christianity became exclusive, rather than inclusive, that central message of hope was put on the back shelf, in favour of uniformity, rather than diversity.
I suppose that for me, personally, the bible is not the literal "word of God". If interpreted literally, the bible uses phrases like "God spake" or "thus sayest the Lord", but is not written in the first person by God. By some mystical process, early scholars took books of wisdom and knowledge and layered them with an attempt at uniformity. I agree somewhat with cj - one can come to an understanding of sorts of the mind of God, but the literal meaning must be secondary in order to gain this understanding. I contend, though, that my interpretation is as valid as the next, because I have reasoning powers
In this, then, I understand the "gnostic" gospels reason for being. Gnostics recognized that the deeper understanding of Jesus' message was not reliant on dogma, but rather on personal awareness of the complexity of that message. Did they get it right? For them, yes. Their interpretation of Jesus' life was what they saw and understood. The disparity was the result of three centuries of thought and study, and they came to different conclusions about the nature and mission of Jesus, prior to the canonization of what we now call the Bible.

Jeepers, re-reading my posts, I wonder if I sound ridiculous? I am what you would call a philosophical person, somewhat spiritual, but annoyed by organized religion in general. I try hard to be tolerant of what others believe, but I find it hard to swallow that any particular group or religion has the market cornered on spiritual truth. We should both believe what we understand to be truth, and understand what it is we claim to believe. Only by stripping away the dogma and "traditions" can we actually come to that understanding.

<= Amazed that this discussion is still civil. Well done, Chordie folk.

Me, too! Having avoided these types of discussions over the years, it is refreshing to not be told that I am hell-bound, or evil, or under the influence of Satan, which is where these discussions usually end up. It is nice to be able to agree to disagree, amicably, giving no offence and receiving none. Well done, indeed!