Topic: Not "just a simple country picker"

Roy Clark showing off on The Odd Couple:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqnU83wP … re=related

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Not "just a simple country picker"

Hello ZURF,
I,m a newcomer to this chatroom and have no idea what to say except that I played xmas songs (on guitar & my version) in Holland and that i hope you have a happy new year

Thanks Bob.  Welcome to Chordie. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

As boffoonish as Roy Clark portrays himself on TV.He is a major player.Watch him play guitar or banjo on an old repeat of hee haw and you will be amazed

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

5 (edited by dino48 2012-01-07 01:50:56)

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

As boffoonish as Roy Clark portrays himself on TV.He is a major player.Watch him play guitar or banjo on an old repeat of hee haw and you will be amazed

Roy Clark was one of best guitarist out there. He was also national Bango champion for player for many years. He also did write and sing some of his great tunes. ( Yesterday When I was Young and Balled of Jed Clampett ).

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

When I was a child my grandparents would watch Hee Haw. Of course I was forced to watch it with them when we visited as they only had one tv. I had always thought Clark more of a comedian than a musician. When he played I used to laugh at his faces he made and someof his songs but I never really payed attention to his playing.

It is funny how one's perspective changes when one sees things differently. I realized, tonight, that not only was Clark a very funny man but a phenomenal (one of the best I have ever heard) guitarist.

I just noticed I spelled BUFFOON wrong.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Roy Clark has the most amazing, chubby little fingers I've ever observed. He was a master picker, with very few in his league.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

A friend of mine toured with Roy Clark for years.  Here's a story he told.  My friend Brad had the habit of showing up about two hours before show time to do warm up exercises and then run through some of his favorite songs.  His favorite songs were old jazz standards.  Early on in his first tour with Roy Clark, he learned that Roy Clark had the same habit, including enjoying play the same style of music.  So after warm-up exercises, they would play jazz songs together.  Brad played an electric bass on the tour because there wasn't room on the bus for his big German stand-up.  Before their second tour together, Roy Clark had a section of the closet in his suite on the bus turned into a space to hold Brad's big stand-up bass so that they could play their jazz standards the 'right' way.  Very generous, I think.  Another thing came out about Mr. Clark's personality.  Apparently the other band members enjoyed these back stage jazz concerts and would come around to listen after their warm-ups.  One of them said that they should do a set of jazz standards on stage.  Mr. Clark responded, "Those folks out there didn't pay for a jazz concert.  They paid to hear a country music concert.  We're going to give them what they paid for and not indulge ourselves.  So they're going to hear the best country music concert we can give them."

Zurf, I would purely love to find out if there is any video/audio record of those jazz sessions. I'd heard this before, and often wondered if any were recorded.
Great insight into Roy Clark's personality and musical genius.
Thanks!

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"