Topic: Giving sis a guitar

I've got a classical Yamaha guitar in fair shape sitting around in my office.  My sister said she was going to take advantage of some of the Christmas deals to buy herself a guitar.  So I told her she could have that one.  We'll probably have another Zurf around before too long.  Except that hasn't been her name for a long time.  My sister has tremendous inate musical talent, so I expect that she'll be mutating and playing B chords in no time. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Giving sis a guitar

not everyone has a problem with "B" my friend. i just found a lovely sounding "B" chord by putting my index finger across the 4th fret and playing the "G" shape playing the open high Ab. i guess that makes it a B6. it's funny how chords take on a different feel when played in different shapes and positions.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Good to hear you treat your sister right,think she will play some tunes with you?

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yeah she will!  She's already a talented piano player.  Her husband is a pianist and guitar player.  Both of them sing.  My other sister plays guitar, mountain dulcimer, and banjo.  We all diddle around with harmonicas.  My dad sings with my piano playing sister as members of a cantata.  We had been planning to attend a "first night" event on December 31st together.  This is an event where the town has a bunch of areas open (town or county building conference rooms, courtrooms, some private business venues like the movie theater and such) and there are music, comedy, puppetry, and other sorts of performance art.  Unfortunately, the financing for it didn't come together in time and so that event was canceled.  We are now planning to put on one of our own in my basement!  The kids are practicing skits and puppets.  My one sister and I will likely do a few old country songs we enjoy playing when she visits.  My other sister and her husband will likely do a few tunes.  My brother-in-law and I did an ad lib set at my Dad's birthday in September and had a blast improvising from chord charts, so we'll likely do 1/2 dozen tunes or so.  It should be absolutely epic and really, really loud. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

" It should be absolutely epic and really, really loud.  "

THEN IT WILL BE FUN FOR ALL!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Sounds like good instructions for a life well lived..."absolutely epic and really really loud". Zurf, you are an inspiration.

Awe. That's nice of ya to give her your guitar. Be sure to introduce her when she comes.
Love your profoundness, "absolutely epic and really really loud". Sounds like a perfect signature. Is it copyrighted??? smile

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Great, that's all we need is another Zurf (or relation there of)!!!!! Whatever you do don't give her the Picks around the world box. Just kidding Zurfwalker.

If I'm not mistaken, didn't you say recently that you've taken a liking to the B chord? Or found one that you could play or something like that?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

zguitar wrote:

didn't you say recently that you've taken a liking to the B chord? Or found one that you could play or something like that?

Just because I can occasionally get one out doesn't mean they aren't evil.

Sounds like it will be epic indeed!  Enjoy the time with your family... there's nothing better than it, unless you add in a few guitars and other random music and puppetry!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Nice going Zurf. I think giving someone a musical instrument is one of the greatest gifts you can give. I was at a party given by my best friend and his teenage daughter mentioned that she would like to play bass one day. I had an old Ibanez kicking around that had been usurped by my wonderous Rickenbacker so I gave her that the next day.
Soon she was better than I will ever be which is marvelous to see. Its also a skill that she will take with her the rest of her life and I think that is worth more than any money.
A guitar is truly a gift that keeps on giving. (It also makes for GREAT family parties of course!) Hope your party is truly epic! Best of luck.

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

Using your epic comment as my siggy, Zurf. Hope ya don't mind. smile

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

auxi wrote:

Using your epic comment as my siggy, Zurf. Hope ya don't mind. smile

To the contrary - I'm honored.

Haha! You deserve to be quoted.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

My lovely niece graduated from the New England Conservatory of Music majoring in voice. She sings a fabulous lilting soprano that makes dudes by the hundreds fall in love with her. She minored in piano and plays well enough to hold down a regular church gig as choir director and pianist. She also teaches voice. There is the problem.
When she left for college, I gave her an old classical guitar good enough to learn basics on. It hurt her fingers so she gave it away.
These days she travels to student's homes to teach voice. Few of her students have a decent piano so NOW she sees the need for a nice portable guitar. Her mom gave her a Ibanez acoustic that plays and sounds fine. I restrung it and lowered her bridge for her.She now plays decent rhythm guitar and plays and sings for us when she visits at Christmas.
I haven't said, "I told you so" but Lord, I just love it when I'm right.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Suggested chordie name for your sister: Zibling

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

jets60 wrote:

LOL,I have too stop reading these post's while I am eating,I am going to choke someday from laughing!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

jets60 wrote:

LOL.  Two thumbs up for that one!