Topic: Heavily Modded Guitars

ive ruined the collectors value of every electric guitar i ever owned by modding and playing hard then puttin it away wet. anyone else do this, ex. 1

1999 Gibson SG Classic bought off ebay for $600 in 2001
replace tuners with Grover Bowties
replace pickups with Seymour Duncan P100 stacked dual coils
replace bridge and stoptail with TonePros tuneomatic set
new Allen Bradly 500k pots, 3 way toggle and heavier gauge wiring
all hrdwr nickle plated brass

this is the guitar of my dreams, people always ask me where i got it. so do you really wreck the guitar if you make it perfect for you, assuming you're never going to sell it

its not what you play thru, its what you play thru it

Re: Heavily Modded Guitars

I think it is the eye of the beholder. If you buy it as a collectors item then you should leave it as so. If you buy it play, then make it your own. It's your guitar so do to it as you wish.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes I have.I used to have a Telestar from the 60s.I had a lawrence split coil pickup put in.Also had the tone control removed and put a mini toggle switch in its place.It sounded great but it took away any originality it had.The finished product sounded great.It was my guitar and I didnt care about it being original. Also bloozetubes,I had it done at what used to be McDuffs in Shrewsbury,ma.(the store near spag`s).Being from boston you may remember it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

4 (edited by dguyton 2011-12-07 13:18:27)

Yup, I'm a modder; at least on my sub $1k guitars.  I have a Gretsch 5120 that I:
  Replaced the stock pickups with TV Jones boutique pickups
  Replaced the tuneomatic bridge with a Tru-Arc Stainless Steel bar bridge
  Replaced the stock tuners with Grover locking tuners
  Replaced the Delrin nut with a Micarta 'artificial bone' nut
  Added an engraved jackplate that says, "Exit Only"
  Put a pinup and gretsch decal on the pickguard

But as you say, if you go this route you can resign yourself to the fact that you will never be able to sell the instrument for a price that will cover the cost of labor and hardware.  It's a labor of love.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

hey joey, never been to McDuffs, been to and thru Shrewsbury a bunch, but the telestar sounds cool. dguyton i like the exit only jackplate thingy, nice touch

its not what you play thru, its what you play thru it

I fully intend to replace the stock PU's in mine with aftermarket PU's. I am going to start on the neck single-coil and replace it with a Seymour Duncan mini-hum. I then intend to replace my stock tuners with something more stable and I will probably replace my bridge. I know that if I saved my money I could have bought a new guitar but this one is mine, I like it, and just wish to make it better.

Never had a guitar that was collectable except to me.  Well maybe if I had kept the Tele I once had,,, but I traded it for a acoustic Kamen.  Just didnt like the way the Tele felt on my right hand.  I had bought it cause I was a Townsend fan.  I have had my Kamen for 19yrs, I think I did good.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I have a 1988 Strat that has original wood and thats about it. I've replaced all the hardware once and the electrics twice.  It now sports an older Kahler flying tremelo with trem-setter, Sperzel locking tuners and Lace Alumitone pickups in a pearl pickguard.  I love this guitar. It's also not for sale.

Now available in 5G !