Topic: What was your MUST LEARN song?

The topic about first songs made me think,

Ok everyone has had a song that they just had to learn after feeling a bit proficient.

Mine was  ROCKET RIDE by Ace Frehley--- That flanger was the cooles sound I had heard while cutting my teeth on Kiss.   

I really like the sound of the Way Back Black Sabbath use of the  a Phazer also.  Cool analog effects!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

2 (edited by tubatooter1940 2011-11-08 10:00:20)

Re: What was your MUST LEARN song?

I was under a lot of pressure from my wife to learn "Somewhere Over the Rainbow/Wonderful World" by Israel Kmakawiwo'ole (May God rest his soul).   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bFr2SWP1I
I was transitioning from being a band singer to a single song guy act.
The simplicity of the arrangement and sweetness of the presentation appealed to me as much as it did to my wife.
It took me four or five weeks to finally clean this one up but the wondrous effect this song has on audiences made the effort well worth it. I opened with it at a beach restaraunt gig and every kid in the place came running and gathered around me. I wished I had another song as sweet to follow it up. My next song was "Under the Boardwalk" and the kids bailed on me.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I'll let you know when it comes along.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

That song is the best rendition I have heard, toots.  It gives me goose bumps every time I hear it. Have you posted it on Youtube. I'd love to hear it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

My measure of whether I can actually play the guitar or not is Zepplin's "Over the Hills and Far Away."  I still can't play the guitar.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

The first song I absolutely positively had to know was Warren Zevons cover of "a certain girl".I still play it every time I pick up a guitar

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Cowboy singer Don Edwards  did a song called The Cowboy Song. I believe Garth Brooks also did it. Don's version is really cool . I had to learn it.

Joe

not because I wanted to but because the jazz band was playing it. This song took me about 2 months to get down: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xm0JYojAks

You are way out of my league BGD.  Good for you.  It takes me two months to learn simple songs.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't play it nearly as well as Pat, nor could I ever. He's a monster. I just barely hung in there. smile

It was a high moment in my music career though.

Lenny by Stevie Ray Vaughn.

Now available in 5G !

My first must learn was Brown Eyed Girl. My next one is God Bless the USA by Lee Green wood. I have a whole list of must learns. Little by little I'm whittling away at it, but then i add more so I'm never gonna catch up!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Hotel california by the Eagles.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Then there was Hendrix's Little Wing..  Thats haunted me for years.

Now available in 5G !

Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. Maybe someday I'll be able to do the slide "bird chirps" part.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

dino48 wrote:

Hotel california by the Eagles.

My buddy John Reno played that one already. I had to come up with a tuba bass line to go with it. Everybody liked our duo version.
toots

That would be something to hear toots,a tuba in Hotel California,

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48 wrote:

That would be something to hear toots,a tuba in Hotel California,

One can simply never ever ever have enough tuba.

dino - tubatooter can make any song better with his tuba playing - I've witnessed it live. It's like a big ol' shiny bass guitar, only better.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

There have been a few, but one that really stands out.  The first time I heard Darrel Scott's "Never Leave Harlan Alive" I thought "Damn, I wish I'd wrote that" and my next thought was "Damn, I need to learn that".

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

topdown wrote:

dino - tubatooter can make any song better with his tuba playing - I've witnessed it live. It's like a big ol' shiny bass guitar, only better.

I would like too hear it sometime!