Topic: Just learning how to play

Can anyone give me any tips how to play acoustic guitar... I just recently purchased an Ibanez guitar are there any books or dvds that I can get that might help me learn faster?

Thanks

Winky783

Re: Just learning how to play

The only thing that is going to help you learn faster is to practice every day.  There are no shortcuts. You have to train your hands and your mind. Be patient and persistent, and you'll be fine.

Start with chords.  Start with these five chords.

C A G E D

Everything else will fall out of that.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Hi Winky and welcome to Chordie!!!

Go on Youtube and search for guitar lessons.

Justinguitar.com is an awesome site to check out.
Guitarnoise.com is another.

Good luck and like Jerome said practice practice practice.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Jerome is right.Be patient and don`t get discouraged.Eventually it will come to you and the pain will disappear.If you have any friends or family that play,ask them for tips.Most guitarists will be more than happy to answer any questions.When I first started learning,I would ask questions.Only once did I run into a player with a snotty atitude.Almost every time they handed me their guitars and said go ahead.I do the same with mine now if someone asks how it is.Then in time you will be handing yours to someone and letting them try it.It feels good

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Good luck, Winky.  As they say, practice a lot.  That's the only thing that will get you better at it.  Learn those chords, how to hold your fingers, how to change from one to the other.  Then you can apply them to some easy songs one at a time.  Good luck again. and keep coming back here for support.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Welcome to the site winky,all the post above point too good places too start,youMight also Try Jamplay advetised here,I have heard alot of good about them.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

There is all sorts of info on the "web". Many want to rush into playing but practice is the main stay. Keep it up and before you know it you'll be playing all sorts of songs. I just got back to playing and practice everyday for an hour or more, or until my fingers start to sting. Good luck.

If there were no guitars, everyone would have to sing a capella.

Justinguitar.com and the beginner's program there.  Practice every day.  In the early stages, frequent short practices are better for retaining what you've learned than long infrequent sessions. 

Good luck and have fun. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Can't add much more to the above, but welcome to Chordie! Oh - if you don't already have one, get an electronic tuner, so your guitar is always in tune. It will sound much better & encourage you to practise...
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Good tips above!  I'll third justinguitar.com as well.  Remember, your fingers will hurt so just slow down a little but keep at it until the callouses are built up and you'll be grooving along in a couple months!  Welcome to chordie!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

With a properly-tuned guitar, after you learn a few chords (you also need to learn the minors and sevenths of those chords) you'll be able to put on your favorite CD and play along with it.  Or at least be able to figure out most of it.  This is one of my favorite ways to entertain myself.  I'll take a CD, put it on, get my axe out, and play along with the CD.  The key here is having a properly-tuned guitar and practice, practice, practice.

Be aware though, that some acts "bend" their songs up or down and make them impossible to play with a "properly tuned" guitar.  I don't know why they do this, but they do.  An example is Tom Petty's "Last Dance With Mary Jane".  Proper chords for that song are Am, G, D, with the chorus being Em and A.  Do this against the song and it'll sound horrible.  Bending was done much more in the Sixties and Seventies than now, I think.   We just have to live with it and not get discouraged.

tfsails,

i'm guessing that by bending you are referring to the practice of speeding up or slowing down a recording to (usually) make the vocals sound better? it's normally a tape thing that knocks the tuning out, i wouldn't have thought that with digital recording it would de-tune.

the beatles did a lot of that to either give a song more "poke" or maybe just confuse we strummer's who try to play along. whichever way you look at it, it's annoying. but it's their song and their recording....catch 22?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Books:  Bruce Buckingham's "Guitar Basics" and Jamie Andreas' "The Principles of Correct Practice for Guitar"

Practice EVERY day.  20 minutes at first, and work up from there.

Also, get a metronome and a cheap recorder of some type, and record your practice once a week.  In three months, go back an listen to how far you've come.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Another tip: Keep the guitar accessible.  Buy a guitar stand for it and put the stand wherever you park your butt during the evening. Leave the guitar there.  Guitars that are easy to pick up will get played more often, making it much simpler to practice whenever you feel like it.   If you have to haul it out of it's case every time, it becomes a chore.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Jerome has a good point,I leave my acoustic right where I sit and watch tv,and I do pick it up alot during commericals or when watching some thing that is not two interesting at the time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Lost of good tips here.  I've only been playing "seriously" for a couple of years but the best advice I would give a new guitarist include a couple of points I've already seen on this thread:

1.  Learn the difference between practicing and playing.  Make sure you PRACTICE a lot, and then break up your practice sessions by playing just to keep it fun and remind yourself why you are practicing.

2.  Keep your guitar accessible and grab it during commercials.

3.  Learn good habits early, and they are probably not something you can teach yourself because at this point you don't know what you don't know.  If you can, invest in a couple of months worth of lessons.  This isn't absolutely necessary, but bad habits become VERY hard to break.  I learned more in a month from an instructor than I did in two years by myself and the internet.

Enjoy the journey.

'Nom

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

I took lessons for about 6 months, when I first started playing.
It was very frustrating, and some licks I found impossible.
My guitar instructor told me that practice mackes perfect, so I doubled up on the practice time, and was still very frustrated.
My instructor told me that no one is perfect, so....

I quit practiciing...

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Welcome to Chordie Winky.  Lots of good advice here. Practice, practice and more practice. Your fingers may get sore but that will pass. Enjoy your new Ibanez.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

dino48 wrote:

Welcome to the site winky,all the post above point too good places too start,youMight also Try Jamplay advetised here,I have heard alot of good about them.

Thanks for the mention! Yes give us a shot and see what you think. If you decide we're not a good fit, let us know and we'll provide you with a full refund...no questions asked.

[url=http://www.jamplay.com/]JamPlay.com[/url] - Online guitar lessons.