Re: what next???

Haha! Thanks Zurf. I'll look more into Arp's. Things do sound smart in Italian, don't they? Or French... For some reason, Hillbilly talk doesn't impress people the same way... smile
Thanks Amy! My feelings and thoughts are pretty lame though....

Fingers crampin'
Strings still dampened
Can't make an F chord
Don't forget to learn the fret board

Yeah, that's a great rap! lol

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Play it in C, which is just cruel and humorous because that would put the F chord right on the line that you can't make an F chord.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Play it in C, which is just cruel and humorous because that would put the F chord right on the line that you can't make an F chord.

Haha, Great plan!

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Writing music is like writing a poem. Think of it that way, a poem set to music.

If there were no guitars, everyone would have to sing a capella.

I started by ripping off the chord changes of songs I liked.

Rather than practicing scales formally, learn to play the melody of any songs you know and like. Start simple, then progress. Then you are effectively practicing scales.
Someone said to me recently that the guitar is for playing chords, not melodies. NOT SO! The guitar is an incredibly versatile instrument, limited only by the player's desire to learn.

It is good to practice chords and scales. For those who are learning for pleasure and are not working musicians or students, playing scales is a good warm up exercise but chords can be learned at leisure as new songs present them.
The best way to learn where and when a certain chord should be used is to come across the chord in a new song where we can see how it is used, why it is necessary and the effect that chord has on the melody line.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Ravioli, ravioli, Andrea Bocelli.

I feel like a genius.

Baldguitardude wrote:

Ravioli, ravioli, Andrea Bocelli.

I feel like a genius.

And sound like on. smile
Thanks everyone for so much advice. Gonna put it to use.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Learning Arpeggios is actually a lot of fun! for me it helps me understand chords and their relationship to each other better and they also are more musical. doing scales, while necessary, CAN get boring after awhile but just like anything else, you have to crawl before you walk. Personally, I cant wait to get running!

Thanks Cat!! Do you know where I could find an Arpeggio chart. I've surfed around but can't find any on the internet. Maybe I've overlooked it... You're right about scales getting boring... *sigh* ...I can't wait to run either. smile

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Auxi - The best resource I've seen for this is a book called "Fretboard Logic".  I have used the bass version with positive results.  It shows diagrams for various arpeggios and inversions in various positions. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks Zurf! I'll check it out.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue