Re: "Just Wonderin"

Then you'll have to try out for X-Factor. Believe there is no age limit for it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

wlbaye wrote:

Is it for self gratification of your accomplishments, for the applause , sharing your gift , or the love of playing and making music , or other reasons ?

Wayne P

Wayne and others:  I guess for me it all of the above!  I have always loved music, but I grew up conditioned to be an athlete and never really gave music any attention as I was kind of led in the direction that musicians were "sissys".  As I grew up, I understood that wasn't even close to truth and made certain my sons were involved in high school music activities as I thought it something they could do the rest of their life.  I only got involved in the last couple of years due to retirement and wanting something else to do.  I went to a high school buddy's open mic and thought, this is something I would like to do.  I bought a guitar, starting learning chords and trying to play and sing songs that I like.  Did my first open mic last year and have continued on; even to the point of now trying to write some songs and even playing around with recording some to share with family who seems to appreciate what I do.  Recently I purchased an accoustic amp, some mic's and I am trying to set up a time and date to go to a local nursing home and share.   I don't think I am very good, but am pleased when others provide feedback that appears I am getting better.  Campfire jams and get-togethers with others seems to be the most treasured moments of my involvement with my guitar.  The comraderie is infectious when someone accepts you as "one of them."

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

That retirement home thing is a good idea.  Some of my strongest music related memories came from a stage band I was in as a kid playing at our local retirement home.  If this monthly thing I am going to host takes off, I'll see if any of the regulars want to go do something like that... or maybe an open mic at the home.  I remember my sister playing piano at my great uncle's home when we visited.  It wasn't anything formal.  We were just visiting and there was a piano there so my sister sat down and banged out a few.  She was a concert quality pianist then and played Chopin and Bach and other Rachmaninoff from memory.  But she loved swing music and so did a bunch of that style too (along with singing).  So anyway, she played for an hour or so and had attracted quite a crowd, then a few of the residents decided to play or some sang along while my sister played, and they had an impromptu open mic right then and there.  It's a wonderful memory.  Sorry.  I got off topic a bit.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Greatbigdave wrote:

Be nice to have a job that involved playing guitar wouldnt it?!!

I won't mention that I work in a music shop and teach guitar - the best job I have ever had!!

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

That's a good question, Wayne! I have often asked myself the same question whilst sitting in the car outside a pub, trying to steel myself to go in and play... A couple of reasons, I suppose - I think that it is a great incentive to improve my playing and learn new songs. I am also seeing a lot of other people play, which is always interesting and gives me ideas for songs or styles that I might try. This sometimes backfires, when I see someone so brilliant that I just want to give up! But not that often. In everyday life, it's not too often that you get a round of applause (polite or otherwise), or even a handshake or a "well done!". It's certainly a great feeling when you really nail a song, too! But I got a bit weary of playing noisy pubs, where no-one was really listening. I just play one pub now, every two weeks, because the open-mic is run by a friend of mine and I like to support him. It's usually a good atmosphere too. But you can't really beat a campfire!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic