Topic: "Just Wonderin"

I was just wondering what the motivation other folks had for playing at gatherings , whether open mic, jam sessions , solo events or other music venues.

Is it for self gratification of your accomplishments, for the applause , sharing your gift , or the love of playing and making music , or other reasons ?

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Re: "Just Wonderin"

The only correct answer is "for the chicks", if anybody states otherwise, they're lyin' (cept' maybe those of the female persuasion of course)

Actually, my answer would be for the love of making music (and the chicks!)

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I have wanted to play since I was in the 6th grade I just never stuck with it back then, that was probably "for the chicks". I finally decided a few years ago to learn to play and that is for me. I just wanted to be able to entertain family and friends at gatherings with simple country music, you know three chords and the truth. I do hope I can teach a kid how to play one day, I would have stuck with it if I would have had someone to teach me (or YouTube).

I was holdin back on that one Tops smile  I am so busted !  Final answer and stickin to it smile

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

Hi there Wayne, Well I think possibly a mix of reasons. For me without doubt is the
   practice. Confidence building practice. Improvising on nearly any genre of music
   is one of my goals. Ok-- not so much a shredder or classical, but you get my drift.

Lately I've been playing jams and get togethers that may result in the formation of
   a band. In a band setting, the main reason to play has to be all of the above men-
   tioned. Also I really enjoy playing and watching others having fun and smiling and
   really getting into what the band is doing. ( fun to watch the ones that had too many
   pulls off the bottle also wink ). Hope all is well Wayne.       Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Hmmm.... I've really only been to one open mic and done some stuff on YouTube, plus I'm a chick, so it's not for the chicks... um... I don't know.  My Dad did it at campfires and such, and in school I was singing solo's during chorus concerts, so I guess just because "If you're good at it, you should share it with others".  So, the sharing I do with others of music is because they seem to want to see it/hear it/etc.  I picked up the guitar for the purpose of keeping the campfire music going while it seemed Dad couldn't... but that hasn't really happened.  I don't know.  I do get a good feeling when people like what I do, so maybe it's for that good feeling of being "somebody" even if I'm still a nobody.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I have been playing some kind of musical insterment since I was five yr's old but switched too guitar in jr Hi, I did want it at that time for the chicks,but I have always enjoyed playing alone or in front of someone. I flat out love too play and will do so till I can not.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

8 (edited by bobwill 2011-09-18 17:50:13)

Hi Wayne, for me it's the smiles and applause from others and for the love of playing music. I love simple old Country stories set to music, the folks who wrote those songs lived them or knew someone who did. Although I am a beginer, only a couple years or so, i am playing for the community i live in this Saturday evening, a two hour event, hoping for 30 to 40 people to attend. Looking forward to having a good time and hoping I don't bomb.

btw, still working on fingerpicking Hello In There.  Thanks bob.

'Cause it's a high you can't buy.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Good one Zurf , I think that hits the nail on the head and all the others are the perks that come with playing guitar smile

Wayne P

Later, Wayne P

I guess I play for most of the above reasons, but mostly, it takes me away from my surroundings for awhile and makes me feel better if I'm down.  Kind of like reading a book or a calgon bath.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Amy- you are "somebody". You are somebody while playing and singing and still
   somebody when you put your guitar down! Don't want to hear that nobody stuff.

Of course for the chicks.It didn`t happen like that.Although in 1985 it payed off big time.I met my wife.She didnt even know I played.In a conversation it was nice to say I did something else besides working and drinking.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I'm in it for the beer.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Yeah, Amy, what's this nobody stuff?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Papa andpete I will third that on amy!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Dirty Ed wrote:

I'm in it for the beer.

Clear headed thinking from a ...... head. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

18 (edited by bluejeep 2011-09-20 08:38:50)

Amy - you are part of the reason I'm here on chordie and still playing guitar and that makes you a somebody in my book

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Whoah, hold the phone!  LOL!  I know I may seem like a big shot here with my Moderator title and all wink but I've never much though of myself as something wonderful.  I'm just a girl who likes to sing, who picked up a guitar for the sole purpose of not losing the campfire sing alongs and is still playing primarily because ... I like to sing and the guitar gives me "somebody" to sing with instead of just the radio.  I appreciate all the "somebody" comments though!  I LOVE this Chordie family!!!!  I have to admit, I've been a bit down in the dumps so I guess that negativity may have squeeked out a little.  I promise to try not to let it happen again!

Now... Bluejeep... inquiring minds want to know... how am I part of the reason you're here and still playing?  Oh man, did I get famous and not realize it????!!!  smile

I think for me it's the simple joy of music. I am really not confident with a six string and I have to be almost dragged in front of an audience, but here's the thing, they do drag me! If I screw up they really don't care and encourage me along. There seems to be a need in us that makes us love to listen to live music. I am the same, if someone has a guitar I love to listen to them even if they can't sing for toffee.
And if you do go down okay? Well that applause is kind of addictive isn't it?

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

Well glad we got that straightened out, Amy.  Now lets get the show on the road.   We all hope our audience is forgiving when it comes to us playing.  And yes, applause is nice to hear.

Much better! Funny how that applause thing works Pete. I've noticed when a song
  doesn't go so well most will still applause out of kindness yet it's that applause you
  get when it goes real well that we want, but the more I think of it maybe it's the
  desire to self express that drives me- or just be really good at something I enjoy.
  Kinda like people who have great jobs that look forward to going to work each day.
  I've never had one of those jobs.

Be nice to have a job that involved playing guitar wouldnt it?!!

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

Amy you are appericiated very much here,so it makes you a star, and now you can go try out for American Idol.

dino48 wrote:

Amy you are appericiated very much here,so it makes you a star, and now you can go try out for American Idol.

As it turns out... I'm too OLD for American Idol!  Can you believe it?  I guess I'm officially an "old lady" now... wow!

I completely appreciate the appreciation... and I guess if I must, I will hereby accept my star status.  Now, if I could just figure out how to hack the system so that I can put that under my name/profile along with Moderator... JUST KIDDING! 

Applause is good... Money makes it even better!  I played ONCE in the park with a guitar case open on the ground and I made a dollar and some change.  You'd have thought I won the lottery with my excitement!  LOL!