Re: Beginner help please

Zurf is right... this style of written music (words and chords and NOT standard notation) doesn't lead to a simple read and play.  You really should start with a song that you know well.  If you can listen to a recording, try to hear where the chord changes are.  With some songs they'll be after a strum cycle every time, some songs will be in the middle of a strum cycle, it's different with each song.  Chordie simply pulls the songs together from other places on the net and tries to make them more easy to find and read.  It's not foolproof, it's not always correct, and guitar certainly isn't always easy as you know. 

I was going to say to stick with "Leaving on a Jet Plane" but I'm not really sure it's your "style" that you'll enjoy it enough to stick with it, but that was the first song I learned.  I can honestly say that I played that song to death while learning it that I almost never ever play it anymore LOL!  BUT... it's a simple song, you play each chord for an entire strumming pattern and play the E twice through the strum pattern (well that's what I do) and you can use a really simple pattern or a trickier one.  I had a video up at one point but I took it down as I felt I was more confusing than helpful.  Pix will get you going on the right track!! 

For your amusement, my youtube name is the same as my username here on Chordie.  If there's any junk I've done on there that you'd like me to slow down and explain, I'd be glad to.  I've learned a lot more songs, but most of those up there are from my first year playing... I'm coming up on my official year two mark here in a few months.  If you live and breathe guitar for a while, you'll get it!!  Stick with it, I look forward to seeing more posts from you on your progress!  OH... and, WELCOME TO CHORDIE!!  smile

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I have found that you learn it the way it was originally, then you an tweek it to suit you,,thats the great thing about music,,,,everyones interpretation can be different, but in the end it is still basically the same song. Go on youtube and pull up Baby Blue (Bob Dylan), there are many ways that people play it, all different and all their style, but it is still the same song.

If it sounds good, enjoy it no matter what anyone thinks,,,

Wow ,MKM, had a look on youtube at some of your songs..what a voice ..you are great !...Wish I could get videos on to youtube...for some reason it says they are all to big...its just what my camera takes...I dont get it ..

mekidsmom wrote:

Zurf is right... this style of written music (words and chords and NOT standard notation) doesn't lead to a simple read and play.  You really should start with a song that you know well.  If you can listen to a recording, try to hear where the chord changes are.  With some songs they'll be after a strum cycle every time, some songs will be in the middle of a strum cycle, it's different with each song.  Chordie simply pulls the songs together from other places on the net and tries to make them more easy to find and read.  It's not foolproof, it's not always correct, and guitar certainly isn't always easy as you know. 

I was going to say to stick with "Leaving on a Jet Plane" but I'm not really sure it's your "style" that you'll enjoy it enough to stick with it, but that was the first song I learned.  I can honestly say that I played that song to death while learning it that I almost never ever play it anymore LOL!  BUT... it's a simple song, you play each chord for an entire strumming pattern and play the E twice through the strum pattern (well that's what I do) and you can use a really simple pattern or a trickier one.  I had a video up at one point but I took it down as I felt I was more confusing than helpful.  Pix will get you going on the right track!! 

For your amusement, my youtube name is the same as my username here on Chordie.  If there's any junk I've done on there that you'd like me to slow down and explain, I'd be glad to.  I've learned a lot more songs, but most of those up there are from my first year playing... I'm coming up on my official year two mark here in a few months.  If you live and breathe guitar for a while, you'll get it!!  Stick with it, I look forward to seeing more posts from you on your progress!  OH... and, WELCOME TO CHORDIE!!  smile

Amy

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Thanks Ray!  It's likely that your camera records the files in a very large file format.  I've found that editing my files with windows movie maker and then saving them to "dvd quality" seems to work well for youtube.  The smaller the file the better, plus larger files take FOREVER to upload.  Your camera will probably record at the highest setting so that your videos will look great on a large screen TV, but you don't need that great of a quality for youtube.  Similar to pictures, you can take them at 8mp but you only need 3mp for printing small copies or sharing online, you need the 8mp if you're going to blow the picture up to print a HUGE copy.  So my friend, you'll need to edit those files to make them "uploadable"  smile  Let me know if you need any help!  smile

Some of the newer cameras have a one button push that sizes the video for YouTube as it uploads it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thanks so much  for that ..will see what I can do with my new found knowledge lol .

mekidsmom wrote:

Thanks Ray!  It's likely that your camera records the files in a very large file format.  I've found that editing my files with windows movie maker and then saving them to "dvd quality" seems to work well for youtube.  The smaller the file the better, plus larger files take FOREVER to upload.  Your camera will probably record at the highest setting so that your videos will look great on a large screen TV, but you don't need that great of a quality for youtube.  Similar to pictures, you can take them at 8mp but you only need 3mp for printing small copies or sharing online, you need the 8mp if you're going to blow the picture up to print a HUGE copy.  So my friend, you'll need to edit those files to make them "uploadable"  smile  Let me know if you need any help!  smile

Groucho Marx

32 (edited by Ray Melton 2011-08-02 05:59:26)

I think I've done it ..my first video.. a song very dear to my heart...A song about my Grandfather at Gallipoli..

http://youtu.be/ODaQIr-nATo

mekidsmom wrote:

Groucho Marx

A very good first video, Ray. Fine song, fine performance.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Well done.  Lovely room too.  Very warm and inviting. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

One of my favorite tunes. Well done.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Very good, ray.  Did you just use a regular video camera?  I want to do the same thing one day.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments..I actually posted the wrong video..well right video wrong version so will change it for the proper one. Pete, I used my little Samsung ES 55 digital jobby and I just discovered it has  a setting for sizing for the web , 240 / 640 or something like that..cool..hope to do more.

Groucho Marx

Very nice job!  I'm happy to be able to listen to you all the way from Australia.  The internet is awesome, great job Ray!!!  smile

Well done Ray, nice to hear this song.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi folks, thought I'd try one more ...this is from our regular Monday night Hillbilly Hoot in Adelaide , Australia..an old Bonnie and Delaney song from the 70's...played it for my beautiful partner Lyn...cheers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmS_fiFT3fc

Groucho Marx

I'd forgotten about that song.  I'll have to add it to my list.  And good job by the way.

I like your choices in music.  That venue looks like a lot of fun.  Good job with the song.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Thankyou so much  Pete and Zurf smile

Groucho Marx

I've found that the cord progression sometimes has nothing to do with the words as many has said. I've gone as far as looking up a song on youtube and finding the song on the Cordie song book and going from there. It really has helped me as far as cord changes and a sense of where I should be in the song. Listening to the song very carefully you can pick up the strum pattern as well. WOW, I think I helped. LOL

If there were no guitars, everyone would have to sing a capella.

Yuppers Jerry... that's the way most of us do it.  Well, either that or we turn the song into something entirely different!  LOL!

Yep Jerrybass.  I think you helped too.

- Zurf

Awesome job Ray, you've got a good memory too! Lots of words in that one. Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Nicely done Ray.

If there were no guitars, everyone would have to sing a capella.

the first song I learned was "sugar mountain" by neil young. I don't know about the rest of you, but I had no formal training at all. I still can't read music, but that is on my list. I normally start with a song I know at least a little, then I play the rythm until I feel the chord changes. I then try singing along to see if I'm right. as far as strum patterns or picking patterns, I never try to play a song exactly like the original artist. I tend to make the songs my own. I have even had some diehard country and bluegrass fans say "thats not how that song goes". I find this has helped with the few songs I have written.