Topic: acoustic guitar plus keyboard friendly songs

I play guitar (intermediate) and have a friend thats pretty good with a keyboard.  We want to find some songs that would be good to start.  any help?

Re: acoustic guitar plus keyboard friendly songs

First, welcome to Chordie.  I look forward to your input. 

As far as songs for keyboard and guitar go, pretty much every folk, country, alternate country, rock and alternate rock song ever written, plus nearly all jazz songs. 

That said, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young songs feature both guitar and keyboard and may be a good place to start.  Also Willie Nelson is a genius with country soloing and regularly features his sister playing a honky-tonk style piano, so you may want to spend some time in Youtube looking those up. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

what about Leon Russell. Leonard Cohen.And any song you want.My saying is"if you want to hear a song exactly as it is done,buy the record or listen to the radio"

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Welcome to Chordie! I would suggest that you have a look at each other's music collection, or just discuss your favourite artists and find the common ground. I'm sure you will soon come up with some music that you both really like and can work on with enthusiasm. If a song is not really working for you, put it aside for later and try something else. I'm assuming that you are playing for yourselves, rather than with a view to gigging. But there are very few songs you can't do with guitar & keyboard! And as joeyx3 says, they don't have to be carbon copies...
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

5 (edited by arkady 2011-08-29 11:58:50)

Hi chicov22
Well just about any song you name can be done on a keyboard with a guitar. It's just the arrangement that's going to be different.
If you both like a song then put your heads together and come up with something new it's much more satisfying then a bog standard cover.
good luck and welcome to chordie.
ark

I've spent a large portion of my existence strumming along behind my papa's piano... As long as its in the same key you can play anythig together. Check the music store for books that have sheet music with guitar chords above it. Piano and guitar work well together, and it'll be even better if you put a personal spin on your favorites. Music is universal, even the artist originally used an electric guitar and a bass or whatever doesnt mean you cant play the same notes with a keyboard and piano (and your uniqueness will make it awesome).

All You Need is Love smile

7 (edited by dino48 2011-08-30 17:03:03)

Songs by Elton John,Billy Joel and the killer,Jerry lee Lewis. Imagine by John Lennon,and many of the beatles songs.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Welcome to Chordie Chicov22!  I don't think I can add anything here that hasn't already been said.  Let us know what you come up with though, I'm curious to know what you figure out as I'm often finding "piano" songs that I adapt to guitar!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Some piano songs are easily adaptable to guitar. Some are not.
A piano can throw down ten tones in a chord. Guitars are limited to four to six. The only way to find out if a guitar CAN get away with a piano arrangement is to try it and see if it sounds alright.
In my cover band days I found several Elton John tunes that worked great with guitar rhythm.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?