Topic: greatest classic rock guitar songs

The August edition of GuitarWorld lists their selections for the 100 greatest classic rock guitar songs. Of course I don't agree with all of their selections or the order they have some of them. Their top 5 are Johnny B. Goode - Chuck Berry #2 Stairway to Heaven-Led Zeppelin #3Purple Haze - Jimi Hendrix #4 Sweet Child O' Mine - Guns & Roses and at #5 Enter Sandman - Metallica. My list would look like this #1Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin #2Free Bird- Lynyrd Skynyrd #3 The House is a Rockin- Stevie Ray Vaughn #4 Jessica- Allaman Brothers and at #5 Layla - Eric Clapton. What would you have for your top five

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

2 (edited by HannahBeth 2011-08-22 03:50:50)

Re: greatest classic rock guitar songs

Wow thats a toughie! Does this go by song quality, talent of the musicians or cultural influence? Longest time on the charts? Anyways I'm no good at putting this stuff in order but my list wpuld include: SOMETHING featuring the skydog, maybe the ABBs statesboro blues (an all time fav), Free Bird, Hendrix's Little Wing instrumental version, something  by Zeppelin (probly not stairway, didnt page say it wasnt the beat example of their sound or something?) maybe Rock n Roll, House of the Holy maybe even I Can't Quit You even though its a cover, a CCR song like Green River or Born on the Bayou, and because I'm from Texas I'd have to decide between LaGrange and something by SRV. Nice topic!

All You Need is Love smile

Like HannahBeth said, Wow! Everyone's list will be different. That's just how music is. For example, my top 4 would not include Zepplin. I just don't get the whole Zepp thing. They have their place in rock history but... What fits into the classic rock category? Colud be anything really.

We touched on this awhile back too:
http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=14271

Top 5 classic rock huh?

In no particular order and off the top of my head:

Iron man - Black Sabbath

Baba O'reilly - The Who

Green River - CCR

Shook ME All Night Long - AC/DC

Dream On - Aerosmith

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Magic Carpet Ride
Cheap Sunglasses
Hanging Around
My Sherona
MacArthur Park (No wait!  That's from the worst list.)
Another One Bites the Dust

Rock should not be about anything, and to the degree it references one's self, the concept of self should be completely unrealistic.  All of these songs are self-focused by the artist to some degree or another are aren't about anything earth-shattering.  Just trying to have an intense but short-lived relationship or recovery from the previous night's lack thereof. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

When I think of classic rock guitar songs I think of songs that the guitar part is so distinctive I recognize the song after only a couple of notes of the intro have been played. Some of those on my list would include:

Purple Haze
Satisfaction
House of the Rising Sun
My Girl
Surfin USA

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

This is too hard for me to answer,so I think if I put look in a dictionary you will find it,it covers all.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

So how do you define classic? Would it be simply a song that is very popular or would classic be defined by time? When I think of classic I look at music from generations prior to mine. You could ask 100 people and get 100 different answers on this one.

As far as guitar playing goes there is "hope youre feeling better" by Santana on the Santana Abraxas album. One song I never tire of hearing.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

southrnrockr, i think that's the idea, everyone has their own opinion, i have mine you have yours, so we would like to know what your favorites are?

i agree with bswyers, with the addition of; yours is no disgrace (live version from house of yes) by yes. and locamotive breath, jethro tull. the order matters not, these songs are never far from my cd player.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

The people at GuitarWorld didn't seem to be choosing by genre or from any particular period. They included songs from the 50's to within the last few years. I think their choices were more based on the guitar parts and what made each distinctive.What I find memorable may go unnoticed by some one else. I don't know if the article was one man's opinion or was somehow compiled by the editors. Anyhow I'm sure everyone will have a different list

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

1. All right now. Free
2.Wont Get fooled Again. The Who
3.Messin With The Kid. Rory Gallagher
4.Split Part Two. The Groundhogs
5.Faith Healer. Sensational Alex Harvey Band

They were the first 5 that came to mind . If I thought a bit longer it may change. But all good 70's stuff.

the chordie geordie

I often wonder why REO Speedwagon and Gary Richrath get no respect in these lists - before REO became sissyfied, Gary wrote and jammed on many memorable rockin' tunes.

Flying Turkey Trot http://youtu.be/5Jr4R_xheeE

Golden Country http://youtu.be/Se3O2vHG1So

157 Riverside Avenue http://youtu.be/vew1cudLH8g

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Ooo dat's some good stuff, Tops. Thanks. never heard any of that before.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I tried a bluegrassed up version of Magic Carpet Ride today on my acoustic.  The idea has merit.  I'm going to keep diddling around with it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Wow.. Stairway has got to be in there somewhere but, geez its tough.  There is so much to choose from.  Santana's Europa, SRV's Riveira Paradise,  Where does Iron Butterfly fit into this equation?   How do you not consider Spinal Tap's Big Bottom? Bohemian Rhapsody anyone?  The Who's debut album, My Generation with the title track, plus I Don't Mind (James Brown cover), The Kid's are Alright..  I don't agree with Guitar World's top 5, but they probably wouldn't agree with mine either.  There is so much good stuff to chose from.

Now available in 5G !

ELO - Sweet Talkin' Woman
Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls
Zep - Immigrant Song
Beatles - Revolution (both versions)
CCR - Down on the Corner

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

For today only, as my top 5 will change almost hourly!

1. Fireball - Deep Purple
2. Man on Silver Mountain - Rainbow
3. Gallows Pole - Led Zeppelin
4. Shine on you Crazy Diamond - Pink Floyd
5. Freebird (live version) - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Ask me again tomorrow and it'll be different!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

hey buzz

mandatory yank there at the end?

i like to buy compilation cd's theses days, though some of the newer stuff dont quite get the head rockin.

my son got me biffy clyro for christmas which i enjoyed, sort of metal with nice clear vocals, something that puts me off bands like ac/dc is toneless vocals, though they are better than that toneless/tuneless morrisy....poop

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.