Topic: arm pain

hi guys , hope i ve correct forum for this topic , been experiencing mild arm pain last few days and im worried (its top of my arm just below the elbow approx). i ve def overdone the practice the last few months learning all sorts with barre chords and difficut stretches , im aware of this carpel tynnel thing but is that more pain in the hand , obviously i have strained something but does this mean have to cut way back on playing for rest of my life , i dunno , any one feel like commenting??

Re: arm pain

I get some pain also,most of the time it comes after not practicising or overdoing it or playing alot of different songs. I am 63 I do not know your age but that may be a factor too think about. Rest up a little and try again.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I would back off a bit and see how it goes.  If it continues, see a doctor.  I have a terrible wrist pain in my left chording wrist, but I get by most of the time.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

4 (edited by HannahBeth 2011-07-28 21:26:48)

I'm only 20, but sometimes my shoulder hurts like crazy after I play a long time, I seem to notice it most at night. Sometimes my wrists pop and crack, which is lovely (not). thats a more recent thing but I'm pretty rough om them between guitar and art. Maybe let it rest a day or two?

All You Need is Love smile

Sounds kinda like tendonitis.....  I agree to the recommendations to ease up a bit.  NSAIDS like Ibuprofen or Naproxen, and sometimes an elastic wrap just below the elbow will relieve the discomfort while healing.  Meanwhile try to figure out what you are doing that may be contributing to the condition.  When I had it, it was primarily caused by playing with the neck too low and having to apply too much pressure to get my barre chords sounding clean.  A change of setup on the guitar and adjusting the strap to get it higher seems to have solved that, especially on acoustic.

Take Care & heal up soon;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Ben Gay on the shoulder.
Ease up on the practice. 
If it persists for too long, see if you can get a session or two with a physical therapist to teach you exercises to stabilize and strengthen your shoulder.  Also, be careful that you are using proper guitar playing posture.  Poor posture can cause all manner of ills. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Don't listen to any of the above posts. I have a sure cure for your arm pain. What you do is go and get you 2 extra large binder clips. Place 1 clip in each hand and practice opening and closing them real fast. Once you have this down and are capable of of doing this 8 to 10 times in a row without any issues you hold 1 in each hand in the open position. At this time you close both eyes, reach up with both hands and clamp those clips to your ear lobes. No more arm pain.

Seriously, the best advice is to back off on whatever you are doing that is stressing your arm(s). Your pain is coming either from the muscle or the tendon. You have to rest your arm and allow it to heal. Some good advice, above.

Welcome to Chordie.

Nela

Hi just wanted to share somthing I learned this afternoon at a guitar seminar by Ken Bonfield.  To my surprise there is a proper way to hold your guitar and a proper way to strum, pick..etc...Of course I most certainly am not a seasoned player, but the info most definately raised my eyebrows.  I would suggest you look into this info and try to apply it.  I even learned the proper way to hold the neck and WOW so much less stress on my fingers and arm.  I feel very honored to have had the opportunity to be in this group with Ken Bonfield, what an amazing guitar player and teacher. Check him out.

I always run into that problem.Just getting older and being overweight doesnt help.I have tried the history of pain killers and Aleve seems to work.I dont know what the actual drug is called to buy a generic.My job makes it difficult to heal properly when I get hurt,so it takes forever to heal. I tend to brace and bandage until it doesnt hurt as much.(bad advice).For other reasons,I avoid any prescription or heavy duty pain killers.But ease up on whatever causes it and see if that does it.Like the old joke"Doctor,it hurts when I do this.Then dont do that"

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

10 (edited by bluejeep 2011-08-13 08:29:31)

From personal experience I have to agree with Zurf. If I sit in the wrong position or chair while playing, the arm pain sneaks up on me. The remedy for me is to relax and give it a rest for a few days.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".