Topic: Beginner help please

hey ppl.. hoping some1 can help me out with the music on this site, im a beginner but i know most of the chords just learning to change quicker etc, this is the 3rd time ive tried learning now ive given up previous times lol, but i do know some basics just trying to refresh them, but i have learnt alot more this time and alot quicker, so im gonna stick with it this time.

basically im working through some songs off this site which say there easy but im having a bif of difficulty working out the system and the patterns,

eg. 1 song will have a G chord to start then lets say 5 words after it then a F chord then 3 words, where as another might have a A chord and 2 words then a C chord and 3 words then a F chord and 2 words

ive tried a few diff ideas out such as playing the chord for the amount of words there is lol, but after a bif of research on net ive kinda got the idea that i need to play each chord in a certain strum pattern?? if this is correct then im on the right track, but if this is correct is there a reason why songs appear like this or is it just how each person writes the music, because i think that is the most confusing bit about lookin at the music aswell as not having the strum patterns, although now i have 11 diff strum patterns to work through on each song lol....

thanx is advance

Re: Beginner help please

If you have a particular song that you want to play, try listening to it on youtube, or maybe finding a cover. That way you can see the chords (if it is a cover) or hear when the chords change and also listen for the rhythm pattern. Hope this helps.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

3 (edited by tubatooter1940 2011-07-20 11:13:42)

Writers try to write chord changes over the word in the lyrics where the change occurs. This doesn't always completely match up with the strumming pattern. Best way to learn the strum pattern and the chord changes is to bring up the video on U-Tube and play along with that over and over until you lock into the rhythm pattern and make chord changes on time. I like to minimize the music where I still hear it and bring up the lyrics to read and sing along while I play.
Don't forget it's gotta be fun.
toots

Steelstring's post came up before mine and he got it said much more concisely.
t

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

thanx for replies

ive looked on youtube a bit but im not at a level yet where i can hear the chords or changes, ive got a few print outs to work with i just need to know whether every song is the particular strum pattern on every chord or a diff method 2 easy songs ive found are mcfly its all about you, and a acoustic version of green days basket case, mcfly looks like this..

C       AM             F         G
its all  about you  its all    about you baby

that is first line,so i figured at 1st it meant 2 chords of C then 2 of AM then 2 of F then 3 of G

but very quickly after i knew that wasnt right, so for example if the strum pattern to this was DDUDU would i do that on each chord no matter how or where the words are?? thats wot confuses me, BTW i dont know the pattern for this or basketcase hint hint lol

basket case is 3 chords A D G cant find anything on that, guessing it some1's own work and they simplified it??

and i can do picking / tabs although tabs is a more complex form of wot i got taught but i do kinda get it, just need to get the chords and patterns fully figured out, i started playing a song yest, john denver leaving on a jet plane, within mins i could play first part, but again im not sure if its right, the person did say play this strum pattern on every chord so im guessing it is, but i just need this clarified plz

Are you trying to teach yourself or do you have a teacher?

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

i had a really good teacher before and i did 1 full course with him then think i quit before then end of the 2nd, although he was amazing he was teaching around 10 ppl so his time was limited, then i had a mate teach me and he plays bass in a band, but also played acoustic, ive still got print outs from those lessons and i gathered other stuff from the net, and songs from here, but yer now im teaching myself

i got stuff like 12 bar blues, blues scale, diff songs to learn picking, chord progression stuff etc etc i can do basic chords and change fairly quickly through them, C G D E and sometimes F but lately i seemed to have lost all ability to play F ( not that i had ability before lol ) i just NEED to be able to play something this is the reason i quit twice before i need atleast 1 song i can kinda play which i can keep nailing everyday and get better whilst learning new chords or songs etc etc

8 (edited by NELA 2011-07-20 12:28:35)

Keep in mind that just because chords are written out over certian words does not mean that thats where you need to change chords. There are a lotta songs out there that are not correct. The best way I have found is to listen to the song while counting the beats or to just strum along to the song while counting and write the number of beats next to the chord. Such as:

After listening your have determined that the strum pattern is D - D - U - D - U - D - repeat pattern. (this is counted as 1 - 2 - & - 3 - & - 4 - & - repeat) Start with the beginning chord - call it C. While strumming the pattern count to yourself 1 - 2 - & - 3 - & - 4 - & - (that's 1) - 1 - 2 - & - 3 - & - 4 - & - (that's 2). Write a 2 beside the C chord. Change to the next chord F and count 1 - 2 - & - 3 - & - 4 - & - (thats 1) 1 - 2 - & - 3 - 4 - & - (thats 2) Write a 2 next the the F and change to G.  Count 1 - 2 - & - 3 - & - 4 - & - (thats 1) write that next to the G chord then back to the C chord and repeat. Kinda follow this thru the entire song. This will work for most songs and once learned the counting will become 2nd nature.

Nela

ok so are you sayin that for the little piece i wrote earlier where there are 2 words under C for example i would need to go through a full strum pattern twice, then where there is 3 i would go through 3 times obviously changing chord

so..

C = DDUDUD x2
G = DDUDUD x2
A = DDUDUD x3 etc etc

listening to a song does nothing for me ATM so this is all i have go on on for now, once i know the chords better and can play a few songs im sure ill get the ability to hear songs like you lot but not now, i just need to know how the chord songs on this site work

One thing that I have learned over the years is to be realistic about what you can play and the sound that you can reproduce with just an acoustic guitar.  After all most songs you hear are produced by several professional musicians, lots of PCs and expensive stereo equipment!!  Try to look at some sheet music for a song.  Doesn’t matter if you can’t read it…..but you will quickly realise how much is actually going on with a piece.  It will also show you how the words are spread across the bars of the song.  Some songs are much more difficult to learn than others, without any apparent reason.  Also be careful, because as good and useful as Chordie is:  not all the songs are tabbed out correctly.  So if you are playing and it doesn’t sound right, it might be a duff chord in there somewhere.  Pick an easy song to start with…something you know really well and can sing along with comfortably when you hear it on the radio etc.  Then practice practice practice and remember if it was easy every one would be able to do it!!

My ambition far exceeds my ability

yer i understand all this but that still doesnt explain how i read the music on this site, thats all i need to know, ive got so called easy songs from this site and just need to understand exactly whats the song tells me to do

i have 2 main songs that i was practasing then added another yest, but 1 of the 2 is mcfly its all about you, i picked this simply cuz its always on radio so i know it now,

C       Am            F         G
its all  about you  its all   about you baby

C                     Em                              Am
yesterday you   asked me something i   thought you knew...

etc etc etc, so i can see the chords there,and i am learning to change through them quickly, what i need to know is how exactly is this song and others working on this site, i know there not gonna be 100% accurate but i just need to know how there meant to be read..

do i play Cx2 Amx2 Fx2 Gx3 or do i follow a strum pattern ie DDUUDU on C then on Am then on F etc.. or do i play that strum pattern twice if there is 2 words under the chord, 3 times if there is 3 words under the chord????

The_Boozmizer wrote:

yer i understand all this but that still doesnt explain how i read the music on this site, thats all i need to know, ive got so called easy songs from this site and just need to understand exactly whats the song tells me to do

i have 2 main songs that i was practasing then added another yest, but 1 of the 2 is mcfly its all about you, i picked this simply cuz its always on radio so i know it now,

C                     Em                              Am
yesterday you   asked me something i   thought you knew...

etc etc etc, so i can see the chords there,and i am learning to change through them quickly, what i need to know is how exactly is this song and others working on this site, i know there not gonna be 100% accurate but i just need to know how there meant to be read..

do i play Cx2 Amx2 Fx2 Gx3 or do i follow a strum pattern ie DDUUDU on C then on Am then on F etc.. or do i play that strum pattern twice if there is 2 words under the chord, 3 times if there is 3 words under the chord????

For this song play through each chord once... The number of words under a chord has no bearing on it. The chords are just a general guide and their duration will vary based on the tempo of the song. If you look at the chords and follow along with the song on youtube, you can see/hear that with the speed of his strumming and the lyrics that he couldn't fit more than one cycle of the strum pattern in. ..

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

ok thanx, so the song goes

C Am F G
C Am F G etc etc, and thats only playing each chord once??

does this apply to most songs on this site and most ive got or seen are like this so are they all 1 C and 1 D etc?

and how do you tell when i song requires a strum pattern?

Yea pretty much each chord once (I say pretty much because you may find the occasional section in the song where an artist holds out on a chord) That's something that youll be able to pick up on in time and with practice but for now start with one cycle of the pattern on each chord and then fine tune it as you progress.

Most songs will be the same way with each chord being played once but there are exceptions. A common progression is G D Em C but on many songs using this progrssion you'll find G D Em C on the first line of lyrics and then on the second line you'll see just G D & C and in most cases you'll be playing C twice there. It's just something you have to listen for in the song... I know it can be hard to pick up as a beginner but give it a little time and effort and youll quickly be able to hear the changes in a song.... Watching covers on youtube are a great way to figure out your progressions as they often don't have all the background music going to confuse you and most allow you to see what chords are being played when and for how long....

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

ok thanx alot you've made this site alot clearer, got there in the end lol, this way seems to make the songs look alot shorter tho, i figured id be strummin this song, just hittin C once then G once etc seems like it'll be over quickly lol,

is there a different look for a song that needs to be strummed and has a pattern to the 1 that i put on here before

I didn't mean it only needed to be strummed once.... When I say play the chord once I mean one cycle of the strumming pattern smile

Tell ya what... Give me a list of songs that you'd be interested in learning and I'll pick one and make you a video carrying you through that song.

You mention Green Day, How about  Good riddance (Time of your life) It uses dduudu throughout it.

really that'd be brill thanx,

somet like basket case by green day
its all about you by mcfly ( as i already trying that 1 )
wonderwall by oasis
tribute by tenacious d
cats in the cradle by ugly kid joe
emily or halfway around the world by bowling for soup etc

oh and hittin the chord once per strum pattern is wot i was gettin at before when i was asking lol, took me a while but i got there, just gotta learn some songs now lol

I have a tutorial for wonderwall on youtube already.... It's from my first youtube acct and I had only been playing about 4 months but its accurate to the album version and being a beginner myself at that time, Its done rather simply... I find it embarrasing but its gotten a lot of good reviews and a lot of beginners have found it helpfull.... 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkoJucA2vUk  Wonderwall has several parts with diffrent patterns & progressions though so it may be a little complicated....

Don't know if you saw were I added to my above post but Good Riddance (Time of your life)  would be a good one for you to start with as it keeps a basic dduudu strumm pattern all the way through with fairly basic chords...

ok thanx ill check it out, i got that song but its the picking verson and its complicated but if youv'e got or can do a tut for good riddance id appreiate that too

Yea I'll see what I can throw together for ya in way of a video on it...

For now, It's simply G x2 Cadd9 x1 & D x1  (for the verses) using dduudu.   Once you get used to the strumming pattern you can use it losely while bouncing around the strings to get the picking sound at the beginning and at the breaks in the song. Ill work on a vid tonite though... Been a couple of years since I played that one anyway smile

What we are trying to say is to listen to the bass notes of the song. If what you are hearing is - Dum - dum - DUM - dum - DUM - dum - DUM - dum - repeat it would be
                    1        &        2        &        3       &        4         &         1
With a DUM (1) being a down strum
and a dum (&) being a up strum
This would be a basic down and up strum pattern. This pattern will change according to the tempo of the song. You have to listen and train yourself to hear the beat of the song and that will give you the strum pattern. This takes awhile to learn but is not difficult to do. In a 4/4 timing there are several strum patters that can be uses. Listen for the bass as that will give you the down strums. The strum patterns could be per the example above or;
D - D - u - D - u - D - u - repeat or
D - D - u - u - D - u - D - repeat or whatever your are hearing. You can even make up something as long as you are keeping rhythem with the song.

Nela

yer i appreciate wot ur sayin but it means nothing to me at the moment, i need to train my ear yes but its not tranied now, i cant listen to a song and know wot it is like you, i need it on paper or screen infront of me lol, ill just watch stuff on youtube and keep practasing, thanks for your help ppl especially guitarpix..

think ill be ok without vid since youve given me the pattern, ill holla back if i get stuck and need pattern tho thanx

It's not much help, but when it comes to ChordPro style song sheets, you've just got to feel it.  Same with tab too I guess as neither ChordPro nor tab gives any indication of timing, rhythm, or pattern (whether strum, picking, or finger-picking). 

Take this as an opportunity to make it yours.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Also, while it's a completely different style of music than you've listed above, Goldhat tutorials on Youtube are top notch for helping you through getting a song or two under your belt.  More my sissified 70's folk/pop music, though. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude