Topic: Most popular songs

Hey, I was just wondering, how does "the 10 most popular songs"-system work?

Because most of the songs on the top 100 songs, are songs I don´t even know. On other websites you offen see songs like "Smells Like A Teen Spirit" or "Tears In Heaven" or even "Stairway To Heaven", but on Chordie it is different...

Is it really true that a song, I never heard of before, is the most viewed song on Chordie?

Re: Most popular songs

You are right in assuming there is some hidden magic behind that list. It is not 100 percent accurate.

Here is how it works:

* The most popular list is based on what people are adding to their songbooks.

* All songs that I suspect does not format perfectly is deleted. This is done by an algorithm. This might kill a lot of "big hits".

* I do a little trick to rotate the songs on the front page, even if the actual order of the list is not changed ever day (...sorry...)

I should probably find a better way of generating that list. The problem is that most "correct" methods would require a lot of resources from my server. The server is on a very high load at the moment, so this is not a top priority.

sorry,new to this.IVE just found some neil young songs that i really like played in dropped d and i am trying to find any more without going tr hrough the whole lot,can anyone help.EVEN IF YOU CANTplease reply to show t6hat this is reaching somebody

wheeley,
what you have done here is highjacked a thread, a very old thread at that.
Please start a new thread for any future questions. And also there are certain sections you can post a question in that is more appropriate.

to answer you question which I am not too sure what you are asking so I will answer the two possibles.

You cannot single out songs played in dropped D if that is what you are asking

If you are asking for more Neil young then just look up Young, Neil and you will find more of his songs.

Also in chordie there is the option to transpose any songs that are in the chopro format ( the way chordie has them laid out with the blue chords above the lyrics)
look to the right hand side of any song and you will find the options.

cheers

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

admin wrote:

You are right in assuming there is some hidden magic behind that list. It is not 100 percent accurate.

Here is how it works:

* The most popular list is based on what people are adding to their songbooks.

* All songs that I suspect does not format perfectly is deleted. This is done by an algorithm. This might kill a lot of "big hits".

* I do a little trick to rotate the songs on the front page, even if the actual order of the list is not changed ever day (...sorry...)

I should probably find a better way of generating that list. The problem is that most "correct" methods would require a lot of resources from my server. The server is on a very high load at the moment, so this is not a top priority.

Can this be done on a monthly basis (e.g., top 100 songs for June)? I'm assuming you have server tracking on individual page hits, so you would just need to go back from the URL to the artist info. A monthly job could be run to calculate the differences from previous hit counts and generate the new top-100 listing.

As a  new member does anyone know where I can get guitar chords for the great musical songs sung by people like Fred Astaire eg Putting on the Ritz, Lets face the music and Dance, Putting on my top hat etc

Many thanks Alan Silverston

NUMBERS wrote:

As a  new member does anyone know where I can get guitar chords for the great musical songs sung by people like Fred Astaire eg Putting on the Ritz, Lets face the music and Dance, Putting on my top hat etc

Many thanks Alan Silverston

Note that this particular forum section is for information on Chordie itself, not the music. Try one of the music forums (e.g., Bands and Artists). Also, check the web to find the song writer (e.g., Irving Berlin for Putting on the Ritz).

Tom

Can a help page be added for each of the main chordie pages explaining how things work? For example, the text from the reply on 2006-08-01 can be used to explain the Most Popular Songs feature.

In addition, it would be good to explain how the chordie search works. For example, "born to be wild" produces no hits, but "steppenwolf born to be wild" does.

tomasohara wrote:

Can a help page be added for each of the main chordie pages explaining how things work? For example, the text from the reply on 2006-08-01 can be used to explain the Most Popular Songs feature.

In addition, it would be good to explain how the chordie search works. For example, "born to be wild" produces no hits, but "steppenwolf born to be wild" does.

The workings of Chordie are mystery known only to the sites creator...
I searched for "Born to be wild" and Steppenwolfs version came up first on Chordie search engine.
ark

Hi numbers welcome too chordie, you should go too the artist alphabet and too the letter M,then got to  misc. movie,tv,etc.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman