Topic: "The 'F' chord "

any tips for consistently "hitting it" ?
I play a baritone uke =DGBE
thanks to all at chordie for everything!

Re: "The 'F' chord "

Chord pairs help.  Pick any chord, play it and then switch to another chord.  Rinse and repeat.  When I was at this stage, I would pick a chord that I had no trouble with, and a chord I wanted to learn, and then just go back and forth between them for a minute or two (at like four strums for each chord).  Pick another chord you know, and do the same for another couple of minutes.  Your fingers will pick up the new shape quickly.  Also, work with a metronome, set slowly enough that you don't have trouble with the change, and gradually speed it up.

Good luck!

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Go from nothing to the chord.  Go as slowly as you have to to get it neat, clean, and bright.  Then pick up your fingers and do it again.  Do that a couple hundred times a day for as long as it takes.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks All!

"I'm workin' on it"
                - Middle-Age Man

p.s. Sorry 'bout previous post topic tittle -I respect your sensibilities.

Keep repeating to yourself, "I will do it! I will like it! and I will think it was My idea!"

Works for B and Bm as well...

Now available in 5G !

Nothing works for B.  It's a mutants only chord.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have a b secret.

Alright, bud, lets be sharing the secret.  You knew someone would ask.  Lets have it..  I actually use a cheater B.  Index finger on the second fret high E string.  Ring finger barres the A chord on the 4th fret.  It works for me.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

hmm, y'all play a six-stringed instrument with 4 fingers.
...that is "most illogical Captain."

Thanks to all, i look forward to more posts about challenges and epiphanies in practice and play.
For instance, I think I sing  and play a-buncha songs "real good" -but nobody a'in't a-clammerin' t' hear me sang 'em; some friends will tolerate it for a while, and I can accompany others.  Of course, that doesn't stop me from practicin' and singin' "a lot" -and as many know -"problems in life" can be ameliorated by some beers and singing 20 or 30 songs 'bout it -but i would like to begin to share what i am doing with other humans I don't know very well.

COMMENTs SOLICITED:
Why was it so satisfying to make my  daughter(8) cry ="El Paso" aka "Rose's Cantina" ?

Thanks y'all -let me know when yer coming to Austin and I'll show you around!

Semper fidelis, '75
marlon

Logic is wreath of pretty flowers that smell bad.
--Spock in 'I, Mudd'

I play a B by barre-ing the 4th fret notes with my index finger, stretching the pinky up to the 7th fret on my low e string and I mute the 'a' string with the pad of my pinky finger. The 3 fret stretch ain't that bad at all and muting the "a" is simple. You just need to bring your elbow in a bit to make the stretch.

smile

austin marlon  wrote:

Thanks to all, i look forward to more posts about challenges and epiphanies in practice and play.
For instance, I think I sing  and play a-buncha songs "real good" -but nobody a'in't a-clammerin' t' hear me sang 'em; some friends will tolerate it for a while, and I can accompany others.  Of course, that doesn't stop me from practicin' and singin' "a lot" -and as many know -"problems in life" can be ameliorated by some beers and singing 20 or 30 songs 'bout it -but i would like to begin to share what i am doing with other humans I don't know very well.

Well there is a bunch of us Chordians here that would like to hear your solo songs if you can record em and stick em up on myspace or some similar site.
If your not sure how to there plenty of advice in the "recording forum"
All remarks/posts would be be positive and constructive on your stuff.
Just a thought.
Live long and prosper....
ark

Baldguitardude is describing a "long A" moved up two frets.  I just play it as a barre chord with index and middle fingers, like all us mutants.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

13 (edited by Doug_Smith 2011-06-02 20:39:14)

The F Chord... isn't that why the Guitar Gods invented barres?  Okay and the dreaded B as well.

Just a question for BGD, you are almost to the 7th with your "long A" version of the B.... so is there some reason particularly not to go right up to the E shape and barre the 7th for your B?

I'm playing mostly acoustic these days, and go to the "barres" a lot it seems.  Mangled old fingers just don't like to have to work that hard anymore.

Take Care;
Doug

Also practice and lots of it will get you where you are heading, wherever that is.

Oh yeah, Marlon, Welcome aboard!  Semper Fi brother.

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

we need our F chord because having quick access to the F shape makes it possible to play anywhere on the neck in any key with no capo.
I learned to play on a barroom stage. We had to get the next song going before the dancers got back to their seats. We wanted the dancers so sweated out, they would chug their drinks when they finally got back to their table and order another round.                            Most of our tune list was in the keys of D, E, F, G, A and C. There was no time to fit a capo and re-tune the guitar.
We played A chord using the F shape on the fifth fret. If we played fast, We used a "cheater chord" B shape to to make a four string D and up two frets to E.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

As for me I've found that the best way to practice the F chord is to learn songs in the key of C. Moving fron the C chord to an F chord to a G chord, over and over is good practice and it sounds good as well. Remember that when you form your C chord and all fingers are in position the middle finger is your anchor point. To form a F chord that finger does not move and that makes the formation easier. Then for the G chord, keep all fingers in the F chord position and slide up the neck 2 whole frets. Once you have mastered these movements, gotten your timing down, you are ready to play a 3 chord song in the Key of C.

BNela

Doug - A few reasons.

1. The long a form allows me to use my ring and middle fingers for hammer ons, fills, sus4s and stuff like that.
2. If the song is in the key of B, the long a is in very convenient position for moving to a major pentatonic solo.
3. This form makes it a lot easier to walk bass lines.

-Joe

BGD, I play a "long B" like you , just different. I barre the D, G. B & E strings with my index finger on the 4th fret. My pinky finger is on the High E string at the 7th fret. Kind of a stretch but very doable. For a Long A chord same fingering - index finger barre at the 2nd fret - pinky finger high e string at 5th fret.

Now here's something sweet. Place your fingers in the "Long A" position and strum. Now lift your pinky finger fron the high e string at the 5th fret - place your middle finger on the high e string at the 3rd fret and whatcha got? A7 chord. Same principle with the long B to make a B7 chord. Who woulda thunk it?

Nela

Yeah I hammer on the high b7 a lot.....one of my favorite. smile