Topic: one mans junk(my favorite guitar)

What is your favorite guitar out of all you have?Is it a high end or a cheapo.I find topics like this interesting.I love the old kays and other cheap guitars.My favorite of all mine is a yamaha sj-180.Probably worth around 30.00 if I found someone who knows nothing about it.It was just set up at a cost of 50.00.Had it since 1984 and I would rather see my strat get stolen than that one.Dented scratched and covered with stickers.The neck is damaged and repaired.To put it mildly it looks like s**t. It is my favorite and ive had it for 27 years.The stickers are like a trip through time.From 1984 to last year.So now what are your favorites.Good ,bad and what does it look like?

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: one mans junk(my favorite guitar)

I don't own anything expensive. $300 new is the highest. But my fav is an ebay find. $78 (including shipping) Art & Lutherie. It just plays so easy. I'm in the process of refinishing it. It's not beat up or anything, I just didn't like the color & finish. It does have a small hole in the side of the upper bout and 1 in the back. Some idiot drilled them for a strap pin. If I could only keep one of my guitars it would be this one.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

A Yamaha FG750-s bought for me new by my wife in the mid 70s. I didn't realize how sweet it was until I started meeting real musicians and getting lots of complements from Martin and other owners about the sound and playability of it.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hey Deadstring, you've got an FG-750S from the mid-70's?

I bought a mid-70's Yamaha FG 350W in a pawn shop for my best buddy for $185. He left it to me when he died.
That was a $300 guitar new and it may not be worth any more now, but I prefer it over any $3,000 guitar I ever tried.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

6 (edited by deadstring 2011-04-18 18:49:43)

naolslager wrote:

1973 I think.Maybe 1 or 2 years later.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Found an old 1978 Hondo Hummingbird at a pawn shop for 50 bucks, plays like a dream, thats the one out of

four I have that I'd keep. Found out it had one owner, he passed on and the widow sold it at the pawn shop.

I thought it was a real deal because it came with a case. Only had two strings on it, and the guy thought it

was a leftie.          it loves playing the blues. 

badeye    cool thread,,,   

cool

one caper after another

I have quite a collection of classical guitars/nylon string acoustics. One of my faves is a 3/4 size Hokada, with no model number, that I got 12 years a go - a hand-me-down from a 2nd cousin. It was 30 years old when I got it and even 12 years a go, Hokada was rather unpopular. There is so much wrong with it that it's become fun, and it's my favourite instrument for playing the blues. In true Seasick Steve fashion, I've tuned its three remaining strings to G, G, B.

"Vintage" guitars seem awful silly to me: the ones that have been hacked at with a chisel in order to look older. Doesn't compare, really.

deadstring wrote:
naolslager wrote:

1973 I think.Maybe 1 or 2 years later.

I just picked up a FG730s earlier this year. I'm pretty sure it's a 2007 model QNN110026. Has Yamaha been making this model line for that long?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite is an old Yamaha fg401 acoustic I only paid $50 bucks for it. I have put it through about every abuse a guitar can get and it still is a good playing guitar.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Favorite is my Squire '51. It's the most resonant solidbody guitar i've ever picked up. It plays perfectly unplugged or plugged in.
So much so that I rarely ever pick up my Acoustic anymore. But then, I never really had a reason to play loudly un-amped to begin with.

I let my son fiddle around with the acoustic nowadays.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle