Topic: building chords

Hi everyone,

When building a major chord, what does the formula whole, whole, half, whole, whole, whole,half mean?  I know it has something to do with flats and sharps and B/C and E/F, but just don't understand the entire idea!

Re: building chords

Hi Jill,

I think that you confusing chords with scales.

The spacing in any scale is tone, tone, semitone, tone, tone, tone, semitone. Each fret is spaced at a semitone, so if you start to play from any position on your fretboard and then play in intervals of 2 frets, 2 frets, 1 fret, 2 frets, 2 frets, 2 frets, one fret, you will have played a scale.

If you look at this: http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8133 in the Theory section you will find more detailed information.

Hope that helps,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Junas, Welcome. The terms you used - whole, whole, half, whole....... - mean the same as the terms used by Roger - tone, tone, semitone, tone...... - and if you follow Roger' advice you won't go wrong. Now to add just a little more;

The steps of;

tone.....tone.....semitone.....tone.....tone.....tone.....semitone.....tone are, again, the same as
  1          2             3             4         5          6             7             1 (repeat) are used in chord progressions. With,
1 = major chord
2 = minor chord
3 = minor chord
4 = major chord
5 = major chord
6 = minor chord
7 = diminished chord.

Now most songs use a chord progression of 1, 4 & 5. So if you follow "C" (no sharps or flats) you have:

C....C#/Db....D....D#/Eb....E....F....F#/Gb....G....G#/Ab....A....A#/Bb....B....C and in the key of C your chords are.
1                 2                  3    4                 5                  6                 7     1 so you can see the chord progression is

1 = C
4 = F
5 = G for a basic 3 chord progression.

This will work for all notes - all you have to do is learn how to step them down. Also, this is great to know when you begin to transform songs into different keys. Hope I haven't confused the issue. For the time being just continue to practice, check out all the information available to you here on Chordie and never feel shy about asking for help or advice.

Nela

thank you for the info.  Nela, I will take your advice!

Rogers' interval pattern is for a major scale.  The 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes of that scale will result in a major chord.

Minor scales (and in fact all modal scales) will produce differing chords, based on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th notes as well.   Minor scales produce minor chords.   Dorian and phrygian scales also produce minor chords, for example, while lydian and myxolidan scales produce major chords. 

All based on the 1st, 3rd, and 5th note of the scale.  Cool stuff!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]