Topic: A little scary glimpse into my brain

Growing up, my Mom (God rest her soul) stressed massively over Christmas decoration set-up.  We set up the tree and decorated it much like the Cherokees were marched to Oklahoma - trail of tears.  It was pressure, pressure, pressure and to heck with the consequences.  Every Christmas Eve.  Then on New Year's Day, that tree came down along with any remnants of the season.  So I pretty much hate decorating for Christmas, which we did today.  I smiled and was happy appearing for the kids while we decorated, taking pictures and helping to put up the decorations - but I've got to admit that this is always a very trying time.  It is also safe to say that the fine motor control for accuracy in typing is not my strong suit just at this moment.  What a difficult time of year. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: A little scary glimpse into my brain

You got the Christmastime blues, Zurf. Not uncommon for some of us.
I used to get those after a close family member died.
You are doing the right thing by bucking up and smiling for the kids.
Don't worry about it. Play some blues music and cry 'em out. Then smile and play a silly song. It, like all sad times, will pass.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

3 (edited by dino48 2010-12-19 02:35:13)

Hey zurf,I think we all get some bum thoughts this time of the year,be thankfull you hace the ones that are with you and let them know it. you know you also have alot of friends here on sight.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'm with you Zurf!!!! I see decorating as work. In my house, I put up the lights outside (5 strands of icicles and 6 small trees that plug in) and assemble the tree. My wife and son decorate the tree and put up whatever else goes on inside. Tear down is the same. I just can't see spending so much time putting up lots and lots of lights. Two of my neighbors go all out. I just look at it and think about how long it will take to undo all that mess and where do you store it all. For me simpler is better. Although I can't say I feel this way from a childhood experience. Maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been married twice and both of my wives were like your mother, zurf.  They stress out when they are cooking for company or when we are getting ready for a big trip.  I never could understand why because I have always been pretty low key about most things.  So, it goes without saying, that the stress overtakes me also during those times.  There seems to be very little you can do about it, so we just get through the best we can.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I'm with you too! Last year I even fell of a 6 foot ladder putting up lights...didn't mean I didn't have to get up and keep going though. I detest decorating the tree and house

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I'm using my wife and son to try and re-write some of the negative issues I have with the Christmas holidays.
And all holidays in particular...
They're a great reason to smile.

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I'm trying Damien.  I've never been to Al-Anon (the AA-like group for children of alcoholics), but I suspect this is the sort of issue they discuss there. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I can understand all of this.

I have 2 daughters 19 and 16. And my Wife's favorite time of year was Christmas she just loved it..stressed her and us out with all the stuff to get done but she loved it.  Well She passed away in the fall of 2009 after a long painfull eight year battle that was hard on her and for us to watch . One of the last things she did was to decorate our christmas tree.. Well THAT tree is STILL up just as she left it...No the girls and I haven't and will not ever touch it.  So in june if you walk in my house guess what?... Yup you gonna see a dang fully decked out Christmas tree just as she left it sittin in our livingroom.
  Don't think Christmas will ever be the same with me.

But I'm ain't touchin that dang tree... I don't care how many crazy looks I get in June..hehehe

Hang in there folks we will get thru it.

Sorry to hear of the CCstring.  We had to watch my mother-in-law decline over the course of eight years as well.  It was a blessing for her to go home to the Lord, but that didn't make her passing any easier. 

Someday maybe you'll take down the tree.  It's the natural course of things.  But you shouldn't take it down unless and until you are ready - to heck with what anyone else thinks of it. 

- Zurf

Thanks Zurf

Tough times for sure...But ya know there are a ton a folks all over that deal with some pretty heartbreakin stuff... Me and My girls (and I got two who I couldn't live without) know that its our job to carry on and make her proud..  ( I got a some work to do on that...hehehe) but I'll get there. 
  You take care Sir.

Sorry I tossed this in your tread... just came out.

But hey if anyone wants ta see a Christmas Tree on da 4th of July...Ya know where ta find one!!!
Hehehehehee.

CC, that is really sad and I'm sorry to hear of losing your wife and your children's mother around the holidays.  My husband's father passed away years ago on December 26th, while on vacation, in a hotel room.  I didn't know him then.  His family is not the cheeriest around the holidays... so my thoughts go out to you and your girls, it sure does make what should be a happy time of year a WHOLE lot different.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Zurf,
My wife uses the same handbook as your mother! I am ashamed to admit I dread Holiday decorating. Each year I promise the next will be better. This year was a little better but my tongue was bleeding throughout. I know she enjoys having a decorated house and I know these times should be fond memories but it is a difficult time for me.

The one thing I do enjoy is stringing lights up on the outside of the house - the exterior illumination. Returning home from war a few years ago we landed in Maine as our entry into the U.S. It was mid December and as we landed I was staring out at all the Christmas lights (and snow). It almost made me cry. We were home. Back in the USA, and there were colors other than tan! So in hopes of welcoming anyone home I always put lights on the house. Maybe one person will see them and it will warm their heart.

My family also watches National Lampoon's "Christmas Vacation" each year. Clark W. Griswold is my hero.
David