1 (edited by fivefactor 2010-12-20 01:29:06)

Topic: We're not so lonely anymore

Ok, first shot at songwriting. Here goes nothing:

Chordpro error: This is not a valid artistname. You will have to specify an artistname in the form {st: Artistname} in the beginning of the code.

© 2010 Andrew Seely

I'd love to hear some feedback, both positive and negative.

Fivefactor

Re: We're not so lonely anymore

Hey Andrew,

I enjoyed the song (played it kind of Wilco-like and it seemed to work for me). You need to adjust to cordpro formatting here and I'll go see where it is (I think it is a sticky at the top of songwriting but I have to check. I am a sucker for love songs and heart-ache songs and this sure fits both. Great first song, but keep it up; sounds to me like there is a whole lot of music still in you. I would love to hear it if your ever get it recorded.

Jeff G (Jets60)

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Hey Andrew,

Yep it is the sticky at the top of this forum called: "How to Post Original Song to Songwriting Forum!" Have a look and see if you can get it to post all formatted. If you have problems feel free to email and I can help...I'll let you try first.

Jeff G (Jets60)

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I saw the sticky after I posted this song, so I'll have to look it over later on tonight. When I re-write the song in the proper format, does this version of the song go away?

Andrew "Five Factor"

Hi Andrew
Welcome to The song writing section.
Some nice lyrics to go with your chord progressions there. Don't know if your able to record but would like to hear your idea for a melody,
If you want to format the song to Chopro then just use the "edit" button on the bottom right of your post. You can use the "preview" button to see if you have been successful in your editing press submit when you got it right. The formatted song will just replace the original post if you use the edit.
Thanks for sharing
ark

Thanks for your help ark and Jeff. I don't really have equipment or a really good singing voice to record, but maybe at some point it will happen. Basically, it's 4/4 time except for the chorus which has two measures of 4/4. Strumming pattern is D,D,U,D,U,D. I like to give it a couple of extra downstrokes on the last G at the end of each verse - it makes it a kind of catchy and more upbeat love song.

Thanks again,

fivefactor

Welcome to Chordie Andrew,

Congrats on your first post and hopefully the first of many more to come. smile

Check out Russ's tips on recording with Audacity (I think he still has them up) It's a free program that's fairly easy to use. Don't worry too much about your vocals...everybody hates the sound of their voice at first.

Good write lyrically, now if we could just hear it.

Thanks for posting.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

fivefactor wrote:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I saw the sticky after I posted this song, so I'll have to look it over later on tonight. When I re-write the song in the proper format, does this version of the song go away?

Andrew "Five Factor"

I guess you figured it out - You have the ability to edit your own posts so as you see it’s now all updated. Great first song Andrew!

Just so you know, lots of us don't have the best singing voices but you would be surprised how good you can sound. The main reason for sharing a recording is so all us curious music types can hear how it is supposed to sound.

I like to play around and see if I can figure it out without a recording ( I do that with songs in the main section of chordie that I have never heard before) but I ... really we all want to know how the authors intended their songs to sound and how they should be sung. That's all. If you are interested check out the recording section here in the forum and there are many people there with much more experience than I in recording who can give you some tips to get started.

If you want to do it on the cheap, video it, but (this is what worked for me) make sure you are playing through an amp and are mike'ed up otherwise it comes out a little light (at least mine did).

Anyway thanks again and congratulations on your first song and being able to chordpro it!

Jeff G (jets60)

J  E  T  S

By the way Andrew...I've been playing the chorus like this:
[C]When we’re apart things can get kind of dark.
[G]It gets so hard just to reach for the door.
[Am]But when we’re together [E]
[F]We’re not so lonely any-[C]more.
and when I finish it I just repeat the last line and let the last [C] ring

Sounds pretty good too.  smile

J  E  T  S

Yeah, I might fool around with the progression and lyrics a little bit. I sometimes repeat the last line too. I like to leave "but when we're together" as strictly Am. I slow down the song for that line only and it makes it stand out a bit more I think, but I can definitely see the advantages of playing it your way. It's all about music and interpretation baby! I've got a friend who I believe produces. We haven't talked in a while, so maybe it's time I gave him a ring.

Thanks for all the great feedback!

Andrew

Andrew you will need to open an account with a site that hosts songs like myspace or soundclick,reverbnation or even you tube then provide a link to the site for people to listen to it good luck smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi andrew I tried it out on my acousticsounds pretty decent,keep on trying and if you can put it on you tube.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

hi andrew great first song,nice easy chords ,i think you have to convert the song to mp3,when you put songs on file in the media centre they usually appear as wav,search for a free site that converts music from wav to mp3,then it will upload to which ever site you choose,just enjoy the experience.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hi
My Space website does support windows media audio file. (Though MP3 is the most common upload for most sites)
So just sign up as an artist (thats important) and upload your file and leave a link to your myspace page here.
and the worlds your oyster.....  smile
ark