Topic: I did my part!

Today in the U.S. was the first national "small business Saturday."  It is also NGD!  I picked up a Guild D40 Bluegrass Special for a whole heck of a lot less money than they were asking on Musicians Friend.  I couldn't decide and so I took my wife along to listen.  There was just no comparison for the sound of this Guild compared to any of the other guitars, including Breedlove, Martin, and Taylor.  Playability of the Taylor was the best with a very, very close race to Martin (so close it was give and take with each in the lead on various tests).  But the sound of this thing just can't be beat and it's not like it's completely unplayable. 

Pictures to follow.  I'll try and record "Flesh and Blood" as tomorrow is our 23rd anniversary and I learned it (if you can call it that) for our 20th, and this year I haven't got laryngitis (yet). 

It's not a pretty LOOKING guitar.  In fact, but for the dings and bangs, it looks for all the world like my Yamaha F310.  But I'll trade mother of pearl inlays and herringbone perfling for full, rich, throaty sound every trip of the train. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: I did my part!

Spruce top and rosewood side and back if you're interested.  Built for bluegrass, and let me tell you that just picking this thing up allowed me to increase my fingerpick speed by about 20%.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Well, good for you, Zurf.  I'm happy to see you enjoying your new instrument.  Rosewood has a very nice sound.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Awesome Zurf- Happy NGD! I've never played a Guild, but they have a long history of quality instruments and some folks say a Guild 12 string can't be beat. Looking for to seeing / hearing your new baby.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Good for you! Enjoy!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Happy NGD!!!!

So do you have to go with the wife jewelry shopping now? Give and take, ya know.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Believe it or not, my wife wants a mop.  A mop!  I'm serious.  I had to go buy other gifts so that the mop wasn't our anniversary gift because there is no way on this side of heaven that I'm going to buy a mop as an anniversary gift.  OK, it's a super-wonder mop with steam and other tricks, but it's still a MOP.

- Zurf

Hi Zurf

Congratulations on your new addition I'm sure you'll love it, as far as the mop goes I see no problem with that as long as you throw in a new power tool to go with it, I'm sure she'll love that.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

I wanted to do my part. Went down to Guitar Center hoping for some remarkable Black Friday prices on acoustics. However, the acoustic room was so crowded, with three or four people playing at the same time, I could barely hear the guitars I tried. No NGD for me.

Happy NGD Zurf. I am looking forward to hearing some melodious music from you and your new baby.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

11 (edited by wlbaye 2010-11-28 12:40:59)

Good for you Zurf !

Sounds like you found the one that puts a smile on your face and that's a great feeling smile

Don't matter what it looks like , I have played one like yours and that is one sweet guitar !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Later, Wayne P

As for the mop,Zurf.  Get it for her, along with another nice gift.  That would hit you in the kisser for years to come.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Zurf wrote:

Believe it or not, my wife wants a mop.  A mop!  I'm serious.  I had to go buy other gifts so that the mop wasn't our anniversary gift because there is no way on this side of heaven that I'm going to buy a mop as an anniversary gift.  OK, it's a super-wonder mop with steam and other tricks, but it's still a MOP.

- Zurf

A mop? If I bought my wife a mop as a present I would get to see the other side of heaven!!!

Happy New Guitar Day....you can't go wrong with a Guild. Consistently fine guitars.....

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

bensonp wrote:

As for the mop,Zurf.  Get it for her, along with another nice gift.  That would hit you in the kisser for years to come.

That's what I did.  She got the other present this morning.  I'll give her the mop this afternoon so there will be no misunderstanding about the mop being an anniversary present.  I just bought the mop because she thought she needed it, and that's a good enough reason for me. 

- Zurf

Congrats on the new guitar man! Rosewood is the sweetest wood....*drool*
And an even bigger congrats on your anniversary!!! I'm learning how important they are to wives...the hard way...lol.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Hey now, a super cool steam mop could be a nice gift (I am thinking of asking for one for Christmas myself) ... you'd be surprised how, when cleaning is a primary job, a new cleaning tool can be fun to use.  BUT... another gift to go with to SHOW that you love her for her and not just all the awesome cleaning she does around the house, along with the mop, was a very smart choice!  smile  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY Mr. & Mrs. Zurf as well as a Happy NGD!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Zurf,

Can you play a B on this guitar?

Now available in 5G !

tandm3 wrote:

Zurf,

Can you play a B on this guitar?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

What is so funny about this is that I took my wife with me to help decide which guitar to get.  She asked me "What's your worst chord?"  "B."  "Play it on each of these guitars."  I love my wife to no end, but that was just an awful thing to ask of a husband.  Seriously.  Right there in public and she's asking me to play a B - not just once but three times!  So anyway, your question struck me as really funny and made me laugh right out loud. 

The reality is that this neck is rather like a narrow classical guitar in that it is a lot flatter than the Martin or the Taylor or even most acoustics I've played and I rather liked the shapes of their necks better, but when it came time for the evil B, it actually sounded least bad on the Guild that I bought.  I'm having to learn barre chords all over again because of the shallow neck shape, but that's OK because I'm learning by doing scales and some dexterity exercises that I've permitted myself some pretty terrible habits with my thumb up until now.   I think Wayne calls it a "cowboy grip". 

- Zurf

Hi zurf good for you!!!,I had a guild when I was younger,it was a great guitar,but my first son was coming so I had to sell it. Hope you get the mop thing settled,maybe get her one and take her out for a good dinner.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman