Topic: Need advice about little finger

Hi,

I've been playing for less than a year and I've got a problem with the little finger of my left hand.  Whenever I try to fret an Em7, E7, Am7, etc. the knuckle of my little finger always tilts towards the nut and the finger itself just doesn't want to move away from my fourth finger--it's like is frozen. As a result, I'm pushing down on the string close at the top of the third fret, and that's creating problems with buzz and intonation. I've been trying to get the knuckle of my little  finger to point straight up and move down, but I'm not having much luck and it's very frustrating! Are there exercises I can do to increase the flexibility of this finger or am I just going to have to slowly, slowly work on this in the course of practicing.

If anyone could help me with this, I'd be VERY thankful.

Re: Need advice about little finger

try playing more with your figer tip. Run scale exersises being aware of how your knuckle is postioned. Hope that helps a little. I have the same problem.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Thanks for the advice! I should be doing more scales anyway, so I'll pay attention to what my finger is up to.

I think wrist angle helps a lot here as well. Be sure to keep your thumb at about the middle of the neck instead of wrapping it over (if you are).  You're palm should almost never touch the back of the neck.... Doing this will improve your angle of approach to the fretboard allowing for easier reaches and cleaner chording... Just a thought smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks, Guitarpix. Actually I was just noting that when I moved my thumb more into the middle of the neck, I had a better angle of approach. I appreciate the advice!

6 (edited by Stonebridge 2010-11-24 16:29:44)

Another possible tip is to make sure your left elbow is not in contact with your body, but to push it out a few inches. (Maybe 6 to 9) This causes your lower arm and wrist to be straighter, and your fingers will have a better angle to the fret board.
Whether this works or not will have a lot to do with how you hold your guitar; the angle etc.

Thanks Stonebridge, adjusting my elbow made a big difference. And thanks again to everyone who offered advice.

I have a very freaky pinky that bends backward ninety degrees (great when I want to bar something but other than that a pain in the arse - especially back when I was playing flute, it used to get stuck that way). I had to invest serious time and energy in developing the right muscles so that I would always use the tip. Still have to pay attention to it though - bloody genetics.

Guitarpix wrote:

...Be sure to keep your thumb at about the middle of the neck instead of wrapping it over (if you are).  You're palm should almost never touch the back of the neck.... Doing this will improve your angle of approach to the fretboard allowing for easier reaches and cleaner chording... Just a thought smile

Okay, is it going to be a problem in the future for me if I don't keep my thumb at the middle of the neck for all my chords? Like when I play c it's really hard to keep my thumb in the right spot and put enough pressure on the strings. My thumb automatically wants to be on the center of the neck when I play barre chords, I'm just having a rough time with the open ones.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Warmups and dexterity exercises.  I've only just started doing dexterity exercises (plenty of them Youtube) and have discovered the most benefit with the fretting hand pinky finger.  I'm getting the Dsus's and the Asus4 and the four fingered E7 when I want them instead of just sometimes.  I knew the exercises would be helpful, but I didn't know how much and how fast. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks Zurf, I'll check out those videos!

Stretch your hands, too. Make sure your fingers, wrists, forearms and elbows of both hands are good and flexible.