Topic: Drop D Tuning -- Am I doing it right?

This could be a stupid question . . .

When I research on the web about tuning my guitar to Drop D almost everyone says tune the open E (6th) string to the same tone and pitch as the open D string. Easy. Well, I've never been good at distinguishing tone difference and all that stuff, so I'm not sure I'm getting it right.

Here's what I do. I play the E (6th) string at the 12th fret (no harmonics, just normal pressure on the string) and using my chromatic tuner I tune the string to D.

Is this okay, or am I not finding Drop D at all?

Thanks.

Re: Drop D Tuning -- Am I doing it right?

It is easiest to pluck the 6th (E) string and the 4th (D) string at the same time and listen for the harmonic. Or if you have a tuner pluck the E and slowly tune down till you tuner says D

Or tune it to this guy.  About 30 seconds in he tunes to drop D.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRYk6lmp … re=related

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

yep. Use a chromatic tuner and tune your low E string to D.  That's it. You may need to check the tuning of your other strings since the pressure on the neck changed a little when you lowered the E to D..  The next step of course is "Double Drop D Tuning" where both the high and low E strings are re-tuned to D. Have fun with it! This is one of the great things about guitars. There are almost no rules(despite all of the rules of course). smile

Now available in 5G !

Thanks for replying.

I tried using my chromatic tuner to tune the E string but in just stayed in E albeit very flat! So I put distortion on, hit both E and D open and tuned the E down until they meshed. Then I checked my old way on the E string fret 12 and I was in D. So my way works too, I've found out. Good to know I'm tuning correctly.

Thanks for the advice though.